Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-29-2020, 05:04 PM   #1
Ola Dunk
Ola Dunk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Kindle 3 (keyboard) 3G B006, https broken, alternative to experimental browser?

Most https-sites will not load ("your kindle is unable to load the requested page") or give a "invalid certificate" warning. From what I understand most sites updated from TSL 1.0/1.1 but the experimental browser did not (source).

I've read a couple of threads on this forum about wikipedia no longer working on the K3, but I can't see that there is a fix or a workaround. Therefor I ask now:

1. Is there a fix? Does anyone know if there will be a new firmware upgrade that fixes it, or a downgrade?
2. Is there a work-around? I've found out that using google web lights as a proxy get me to wikipedia, but it is slow and clunky.
3. Is there an alternative? If I jailbreak my Kindle, is it possible to install an alternative browser with TSL 1.2 support? Does such a browser exist yet for the Kindle 3?

My apologies if I've posted this in the wrong sub-forum.
Ola Dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:18 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Security changes on web sites are generally the issue. There is no fix or work-around, why should Amazon pay for your browsing?
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:05 PM   #3
Ola Dunk

A few years ago, a mobileread member ported the SkipStone browser to Kindle Touch. Would this port work for the Kindle 3 too? If not, are there any other alternative browsers that are ported to the Kindle 3?

Btw. If any other Kindle 3 (Kindle Keyboard) owners are reading this thread and would like to be able to access wikipedia again (although slowly, and with errors),
Code:
https://googleweblight.com/sp?hl&u=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=
will get you to the wikipedia search page (google web light removes the wikipedia search box from articles and the main page). If anyone knows what parameters google web light accepts, I would be very grateful.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:41 PM   #4
Ola Dunk

Amazon Customer Service just confirmed that there will be no new updates for the Kindle Keyboard.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:44 PM   #5
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I suspect there may be new "updates" for the Kindle Keyboard just to keep the Kindle store working.

Outside of that, yeah.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:05 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you want a working browser, you'll have to dump your Kindle. Get one of the new Onyx Boox Readers that uses Android 10 and install a browser that works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:47 PM   #7
Ola Dunk

Would it be easy to set up a proxy on a webserver that strips SSL and access wikipedia through that, or will HSTS make it hard to implement?
Old 10-15-2020, 03:34 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The browser is not up-to-date and never will be. Most eInk browsers are rather poor. You can forget browsing with a K3 if what you want to do doesn't work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 01:10 PM   #9
Ola Dunk

I know that the Kindle 3 browser is hopelessly outdated, however most other functions of the Kindle is still functional. I have no plans on getting a new ebook reader as long as it works. Several websites still load, and I'll never use it for any heavy duty surfing, however it would be nice to look up a word on wikipedia now and then.

Does anyone know if Lynx or Links can be installed (and works) through OptWare?
Old 11-10-2020, 04:06 PM   #10
stassk8
stassk8 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg, kindle pw3
lynx (v2.8.8dev.12) start on kindle 3.4.3, but in my country 3g limit.
stassk8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
https, kindle 3, tsl, wikipedia