Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Ebook question: Proper way to lay out copyright page?

Ok, I'm sitting here tinkering with my books, and I know that before some sites will host the ebook files, I have to have the copyright text in there. So here's my question. What is the best way to layout the copyright page? Do I lay it out in typical print book format, or do I go with something lighter, or some mixture? Right now I'm using something like this:
Quote:
<p class="calibre1">Destiny's Mission, Book 2 of the Earthfleet Saga</p>
<p class="calibre1">Copyright © 2009 by Steven Lake</p>
<p class="calibre1">The opinions expressed in this manuscript are solely the opinions of the author and do not represent the opinions or thoughts of the publisher. The author represents and warrants that s/he either owns or has the legal right to publish all material in this book.</p>
<p class="calibre1">ISBN-13: 978-0-9826020-3-4</p>
<p class="calibre1">Published by: 2 MOON PRESS - 307 W. Michigan Ave, Marshall, Michigan 49068 - www.800publishing.com</p>
<p class="calibre1">All Rights Reserved. This book may not be reproduced, transmitted, or stored in whole or in part by any means, including graphic, electronic, or mechanical without the express written consent of the publisher except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical articles and reviews. </p>
Any thoughts on whether this is good enough, too much, too little, or if it needs to be laid out differently. I've got pretty much everything else figured out through trial and error (and a healthy bit of research), so I'm good there. This is the only thing I'm stumped on. Any help would be appreciated.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Looks fine to me, Steve. If you start flipping through physical books, and scanning through ebooks, you'll find there are about as many variations on this same essential idea (I wrote this; it belongs to me; don't steal my stuff but you can talk about it!) as there are flavors of politics or religion.

When I put my first story on Smashwords I formatted it very simply... but with respect to ownership and legal rights, those same tenets are covered:

Quote:
We Don’t Plummet Out of the Sky Anymore

M. David Blake

○ ○ ○ ○ ○
SMASHWORDS EDITION
○ ○ ○ ○ ○

Copyright © 2010 M. David Blake

All rights reserved, including the right to reproduce this work, in whole or in part, in any form.

This is a work of fiction. All characters, events, organizations and products depicted herein are either a product of the author’s imagination, or are used fictitiously.
- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I copy-pasted the Smashwords style pag for my husband's wonderful book. Then just filled in the pertinent data. The style guide is a very good example to use.

Otherwise, get a current style guide from the MLA (Modern Language Assoc) and follow the examples for dialog, grammar, and when to use commas. Everything is included.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I just typed one up verbatim from the first book I found in my library. Right down to the text for first edition.

Quote:
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to any persons, living or dead, business establishments, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.

THE PHOENIX RISING

All rights reserved.

Copyright © 2005 by David Alexander.
Cover art by

This book is protected under the copyright laws of the United States of America. Any reproduction or other unauthorized use of the material or artwork herein is prohibited without the express written permission of the author.

First Printing: September, 2005.
Printed in the United States of America

First Edition: September, 2005

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I've got something similar in my print book. I was referring to how to lay out one for use in an ebook.
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I'd go with what you've got there. Has it come out okay on SW?
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Nah, I don't have it on SlashWords yet. Still tweaking it a bit more so it's perfect. I also need to borrow a regular ereader (my publisher has a Nook he'll loan me) so I can be sure it's aligned and setup correctly. I want it to look as professional as possible.