Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Question about copyright/public domain

I have a question about copyright.

I'd like to make some ebooks, mainly H.P. Lovecraft's fiction and Robert E. Howard's Conan/Kull stories. Both of these authors died over 70 years ago, and the length of copyright in the US is the author's life + 70 years, right? So in theory I should be able to compile the stories into ebooks for myself and others to enjoy for free.

I know there is more to it than this, since a couple of Agatha Christie's books are now public domain and she only died in 1976. I also try to use sites like Mobileread, Manybooks.net and PG as barometers of what's allowed and what isn't, since I know I'm not going to be the first one with an idea to make an ebook out of a paper book. Lovecraft has many stories in the public domain but Howard does not seem to.

How can you tell who holds the copyright for stories and how long it lasts? Is there some way to look up that information? I started making the Lovecraft book and worst case scenario I'll just keep it for myself but I'm having fun making it and I'd like to make more but I don't want to waste my time or cause trouble somehow.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Here's a good link on Public Domain and dates. Basically anything published prior to 1923 is in the Public Domain.

Copyright Terms and the Public Doman
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Both HPL's and REH's work are now in the public domain. Check Project Gutenberg or your favorite PG-scraping site for their (mostly) complete works.

In the case of REH, this has led to an explosion of REH pbooks from various publishers, with assorted commentary, illustrations, etc. I think I'm collecting three different series of them now, along with my old Frazetta-cover paperbacks. Plus, of course, the ebooks. Can you say "addict"?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Both HPL's and REH's work are now in the public domain. Check Project Gutenberg or your favorite PG-scraping site for their (mostly) complete works.
For Howard I checked PG, Manybooks, and Google books, my usual haunts, and found next to nothing of his. Do you possibly have a link to some stuff?
Old 07-24-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With Lovecraft, the situation is complicated by the fact that many of his works were collaborations. In the U.S.A. the stories Lovecraft wrote with C.M Eddy Jr after 1923 might still be in copyright: The Loved Dead, Under the Pyramids, Ashes, the Ghost Eater and Deaf, Dumb and Blind. One of Eddy's heirs certainly claims so, though for this to be true, the copyright would have had to have been renewed. AFAIK there is no evidence for copyright renewal on any of Lovecraft's works, so any claims by people like Dyer, or, more notoriously, Derleth, are probably spurious.

In the EU the situation is simpler and all works written solely by Lovecraft have been PD since Jan 2008. But those works written with collaborators mostly remain in copyright (Eddy, for instance, only died in 1967).
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
For Howard I checked PG, Manybooks, and Google books, my usual haunts, and found next to nothing of his. Do you possibly have a link to some stuff?
There's a nice HPL collection here on Mobile Reads. Lovecraft
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:25 PM   #7
banjobama
Busy Read'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
There's a nice HPL collection here on Mobile Reads. Lovecraft
Yeah, I did see that, thank you. I have all the Lovecraft I'm interested in, I just need some Howard. It seems scarce!
Old 07-24-2010, 11:55 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
One resource is the Stanford web site: http://collections.stanford.edu/copy...e?forward=home.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:06 AM   #9
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
http://manybooks.net/authors/howardr.html
http://www.feedbooks.com/author/245
http://www.munseys.com/detail/mode/a...obert_E_Howard
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:20 AM   #10
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Dozens of Howard's works are listed at Project Gutenberg Australia, including a long list of Conan stories. His entry says he died 1936, so possibly they were all put up there before he became PD-eligible for Life+70 and no one's really bothered to move them over to regular PG in the 3 years since.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:48 AM   #11
banjobama
Busy Read'n

Wow, don't I look stupid. I swear I'm not an idiot.

Thank you!!
Old 07-25-2010, 03:52 AM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
The Conan stories by Howard are available here, in MobileRead, in mobi and ePUB formats.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote