Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
Emmanuel
Emmanuel began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Sorting the books on the cybook

Hello all

The cybook gen3 doesn't have sophisticated sorting possibilities to list the books present on the device.

All it does is list the books either in alphabetical order, by date, by file size or by path.
Now, calibre just stores the files at the root of the cybook memory (in the eBooks directory, where they belong) when you use 'Send to device'.
So if I want my books to be listed by author on my cybook, I'm screwed because calibre will name the files like so:

20000_lieus_sous_les_mers_-_jules_Verne.mobi
L_odyssee_-_Homere.prc
L_ile_mysterieuse_-_jules_Verne.mobi

so there is no way that I can see all books from the same author regrouped.

So I can see two ways to allow the cybook to sort the books in the order I want - either:

- rename the files according to a certain ruleset (for example Authors_name__Book_title.Filetype or Book_title__Authors_name.Filetype depending on the users choice)

- use the already existing directory structure from calibre, ie:

Author
Title
Book Files

and News files might then go into a dedicated News/ directory to regroup
them

This second option is in fact similar to the 'Save to disk' action,
except only one type of file is saved (like with 'send to device')

A choice could be given for the authors name ('Mark Twain' or 'Twain,
Mark').

So I think it would not be too hard to implement some crude but useful way to have our books sorted in a nice way on the cybook (and possibly other ereaders)
What do you think?

For those who might wonder why I don't just use 'Save to disk', the
reason is that I have all sorts of files present in my database that
shouldn't be transfererd to the reader (like jpg files for book covers etc)

manu
Emmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel
- rename the files according to a certain ruleset (for example Authors_name__Book_title.Filetype or Book_title__Authors_name.Filetype depending on the users choice)
Short answer, not going to happen. Long answer, the filename format is used internally and allowing user modifiable names would cause a loss in functionality. Also, it would be a lot of work to make this change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel
- use the already existing directory structure from calibre, ie:

Author
Title
Book Files

and News files might then go into a dedicated News/ directory to regroup
them
That's a pretty good idea. If people like and want it I'll change how the Cybook driver puts files on the device.

In the mean time Calibre does support putting files onto the Cybook in user defined directories via Send to Device. It's implemented though a tag. The first tag driver finds that starts with / is used as the path. Every subsequent / in the tag is treated as a directory separator. So, you have a tag /Classics/Twain . When you send the ebook to the Cybook it will be put in eBooks/Classics/Twain.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
Emmanuel
Emmanuel began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post

In the mean time Calibre does support putting files onto the Cybook in user defined directories via Send to Device. It's implemented though a tag. The first tag driver finds that starts with / is used as the path. Every subsequent / in the tag is treated as a directory separator. So, you have a tag /Classics/Twain . When you send the ebook to the Cybook it will be put in eBooks/Classics/Twain.
ah yes, I was unaware of this feature (is it documented?) I tested it and it works, but its a bit awkward, it messes a bit with the tags. But it proves that the code that is required for my proposal is all there

manu
Emmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybook gen3