Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-14-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
heathbre
heathbre began at the beginning.

Device: irex DR1000S
Software 1.02 coming out on Monday Nov. 17

Here's the latest on software updates from Karel in the Irex Forums (hopefully we can bank on this timeline).

http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=3065

Quote:
Earlier this week we released a statement, in which we confirmed that there is an issue with the current battery firmware of the iRex DR1000S that is causing the battery life to be at least 30% less than expected and even causing a charging issue in some cases. This problem will be solved with the next software update v1.02. Target date for this software update is the first week of November.

update 14/11/2008: Software release v1.02, will be released on Monday 17 November. It will include the fix for the battery firmware and improve the scribble performance.

Following this update we are planning a larger update (v1.5) which will include more enhancements. I can not confirm a target date yet, but I can tell a bit more about what this update will include.

update 14/11/2008: Software release v1.5, expected before the end of this year.

* Advanced Power Management: this will include the standby mode (suspend-to-RAM). This means that after x seconds the reader will go into standby mode in order to reduce the power consumption. This will substantially increase the battery life. By touching the sensors or using the stylus the reader will wake up again.

* Enhanced Scribble Performance: We are not completely happy with how the scribble functions is working right now and will be looking into improving this in order to offer a more accurate and natural writing experience.

* User customizable Toolbar: To allow users to quickly access to the functions and tools that matter the most to them, we are looking to add a user customizable toolbar into the status area. For example, you can add any of the tools like pencil, eraser, add bookmark or rotate to the toolbar and access them directly without the need to open the menu.

In addition to the above there will be a number of minor enhancements and bug fixes. More information will be announced in the coming weeks.
heathbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Battery Guage

will this fix the weirdness where no matter how long I charge my DR I only get 3 bars? (that fourth bar has never poped up)
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
will this fix the weirdness where no matter how long I charge my DR I only get 3 bars? (that fourth bar has never poped up)
Try using an AC charger. It seems to need slightly more voltage than USB provides.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #4
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I almost always use a wall-charger with up to 1000mA & it still usually only shows 3bars & orange on mine. I just occasionally get a green & 4bar full.

My impression is the update on Monday should fix most of these issues, but wait & see...
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
iRex has said that the 1.02 update on Monday not only fixes a bug with the battery life, but it also fixes a "charging problem" on some devices. They didn't post any details about what that means, but it's possible that it's the same thing you're seeing.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Still Three Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Try using an AC charger. It seems to need slightly more voltage than USB provides.

Dale
I bought a 2000 mA usb charger and it does charge it but never beyond three bars - i am currently draining it till dead then trying charging again to see if that helps
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I bought a 2000 mA usb charger and it does charge it but never beyond three bars - i am currently draining it till dead then trying charging again to see if that helps
I do hope this fixes it. Of course it is not the mA that makes it reach 4 bars, it is voltage. USB is 5.0 V normally and I have seen chargers that put out 5.1 or 5.2 volts which is just a bit more and enough to kick the bar on some units. I don't personally own a DR so I can't say for sure. Maybe the recalibration of a full drain will help.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote