Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #841
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Darn it! Then again, it's only $15 more, and I use them all the time...
I might check out two books a month from them as their selection isn't that great. Waiting lists are huge. So if they revoke my free card I'll find another library to subscribe to.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #842
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I might check out two books a month from them as their selection isn't that great. Waiting lists are huge. So if they revoke my free card I'll find another library to subscribe to.
Have been looking since I wrote the last post. It's a tedious, manual process, writing to each library individually... Just checking if there is anything else out there. I had posted a link to a list last year, but, apart from the libraries I am a member of, the other libraries on it had very long waiting lists and small catalogues.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2013, 12:12 AM   #843
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Have been looking since I wrote the last post. It's a tedious, manual process, writing to each library individually... Just checking if there is anything else out there. I had posted a link to a list last year, but, apart from the libraries I am a member of, the other libraries on it had very long waiting lists and small catalogues.
I forgot you are in Germany. Yeah the window seems to very narrow for those outside the U.S.

Brooklyn is one I would be devastated to lose.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:35 AM   #844
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I forgot you are in Germany. Yeah the window seems to very narrow for those outside the U.S.

Brooklyn is one I would be devastated to lose.
No, I'm in the US now, but still feel for the loss this means to international users.
Just looking for out-of-state possibilities in case there is something else out there.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:06 AM   #845
DHNightshadow
Zealot
DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyager
I think Philadelphia is the only one.
DHNightshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2013, 03:18 AM   #846
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
No, I'm in the US now, but still feel for the loss this means to international users.
Just looking for out-of-state possibilities in case there is something else out there.
Oh good I am relieved you still qualify again but yeah I feel bad for those who don't

OMG my Library just updated with a ton of new ebooks from Penguin!
This is a happy day!

Last edited by Blossom; 09-28-2013 at 03:24 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #847
blueinfj
Enthusiast
blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.

Device: iPhone, iPad, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Is there any library available to non-US residents now?
Why would they get rid of it, if it brings them income, did she say?
I let my subscription to FLP lapse in August, because I discovered the Orange County Library System (http://www.ocls.info/card/info.asp). Yes, the fee is pretty steep, but they have a great selection. I'll be sorry to lose BPL, though, because they have both 3M and Overdrive catalogues. I'm in Germany, btw.
blueinfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #848
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueinfj View Post
I let my subscription to FLP lapse in August, because I discovered the Orange County Library System (http://www.ocls.info/card/info.asp). Yes, the fee is pretty steep, but they have a great selection. I'll be sorry to lose BPL, though, because they have both 3M and Overdrive catalogues. I'm in Germany, btw.
Very steep at $125 /year, but at least it's something. Is their catalog better than BLP's?
Old 09-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #849
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
OMG my Library just updated with a ton of new ebooks from Penguin!
This is a happy day!
Which one?! Your local one?
Old 09-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #850
blueinfj
Enthusiast
blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.blueinfj knows what's going on.

Device: iPhone, iPad, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Very steep at $125 /year, but at least it's something. Is their catalog better than BLP's?
It's about the same, but with more books (e.g. fiction: 24000 at BPL, 37000 at OCLS:

http://www.ocls.info/downloadables/ebooks.asp?from=cat

http://ocls.lib.overdrive.com/F78BFD...en/Default.htm

http://ocls.freading.com/index

They update about once every ten days (they just added 500 books published by Penguin the day before yesterday - ). The checkout limit is 20 titles at the same time.

I hope they will continue to offer out-of-state cards. At the rate I'm reading, I'd be broke if not for the library
blueinfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #851
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Which one?! Your local one?
Yes READS is the one that updated. I was so excited I should have been more clear. I think they bought every single Nora Roberts book there is. I would have like more variety.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #852
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
This is one I was looking at. The price though is as you say steep.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #853
xendula
eBookworm

Very tempted by OCLS now that I hear that....
Old 09-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #854
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Is there any library available to non-US residents now?
Why would they get rid of it, if it brings them income, did she say?
She didn't say. It came up when I asked her to check to see when I needed to renew my out-of-state subscription -- that's when she mentioned that they'll no longer be renewing subscriptions for international patrons.

Again, this is from just one person in the circulation department, so I'd take it with a grain of salt until some type of official announcement is made.

From recent articles I've browsed in the news, their library system is somewhat debt-ridden, so, like you, I'd think any source of revenue would be welcome.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #855
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Seems like it was over a year ago that there was talk about restricting access...seems like it was pressure from the publishers on Overdrive. It's a vague memory, but I'm sure it was all discussed here, so you could try searching.

Even libraries that formed consortiums to share the costs were stopped from buying certain publishers. And for some reason, I think part of the discussion involved UK libraries using Overdrive as well.

Up until then there were more libraries that allowed the purchase of out-of-state access, but many shut it down. I was always surprised these last holdouts still did allow it.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote