Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #91
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Here's a question, if I have a book in multiple formats, how does Calibre sync the various formats? Or can you only have it converted to one format at a given time?

I'd like to test conversions from lit to lrf vs. lit to epub.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #92
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
Here's a question, if I have a book in multiple formats, how does Calibre sync the various formats? Or can you only have it converted to one format at a given time?

I'd like to test conversions from lit to lrf vs. lit to epub.
I am not sure that I understand the question...

If you want to import multiple versions of the same book, drop them all into a single directory, hit down-pointing arrow by "Add Books" icon and select second option from the menu.

If you want to import a single book and then convert it to multiple formats, hit the "Add Books" button, then chose output, the button is under the heart, to the far right. Right-click on the book title, Convert E-Books... Do it twice, once for EPUB, then for LRF.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #93
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

I just mean, how would I choose the epub vs. the lrf version on my 505? What would distinguish them?
Old 06-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #94
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
There will be no difference in the list, the title and author are the same.

However, if you select one of the books, and choose Info (7), for lrf you will notice "Kind BBeB Book" in the results, for ePub it will read "Kind EPUB document".
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:58 AM   #95
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Also--When you open the book on the 505, the LRF will have full left and right justification and the ePub file will only have left justification.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #96
cemerson
cemerson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
Thanks (once more -- this is an really really good forum).

I think I've got it.

I already have eBook Library installed, which I will use mainly to buy books from time to time.

I have Calibre installed, which I will use mainly to manage the reader -- I much prefer it to the Sony interface.

If I also install Adobe Digital editions, I can download "Secure Adobe" from, say, Books on Board or other sources. Then I can either send it to my reader straight from ADE or I can import it to Calibre and send it to my reader from Calibre. But in any case I don't need to do anything to the file after I download it -- I can just send it to the reader and then I'll be able to read it.

Whew. Right?
cemerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #97
Teddman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Also--When you open the book on the 505, the LRF will have full left and right justification and the ePub file will only have left justification.

dordale
I noticed that! I tried converting lit->lrf vs. lit->epub using Calibre and the lrf was better every time. The epubs not only took longer to load, they always had a ragged right margin, which is less pleasing to my eyes.

Right now I've been most pleased with lrf or rtf formats on the 505, because they have full justification, good paragraph breaks, and a nice font size by default.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #98
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
If you're interested there's a thread about people's preferences for lrf/pdf over here. It goes into some of the reasons people prefer one over the other.

They've both got good points, but personally I prefer lrf when possible, for the reasons you've already mentioned.
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote