Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
jkolnick
jkolnick began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Word 2011 to Calibre

Hi;

I seem to have run to a roadblock. I am using word 2011 to create an eBook for the iPad. I can save the Doc as .htm. But when I import into Calibre it is a Zip file and will not convert to a EPUB. It was working earlier in the day, but now I cannot figure out what went wrong. Please help.

Jerry Kolnick
jkolnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
zespectre
BookMonkey
zespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: NOOK, iPod Touch, Asus Netbook
Download Sigil, copy and paste and save and you'll probably get a nicer end result.
zespectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
jkolnick

I have a lot of trouble using Sigil. I have tried it and I cannot edit my files easily. If you know a good tutorial on Sigil, I might try using it.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
HTML files are always stored in Calibre as a ZIP file.

What do you mean by saying it will not convert to EPUB? What happens when you try the convert?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
jkolnick

It tells me that is the wrong file type. It cannot convert this type of file type. When I right click on the imported file, I can see in the upper right hand corner of the dialog box it is a Zip file. Also when I select it it shows as a zip file. Before it showed it as a .htm file.
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I am still not sure what is going wrong here. The ZIP file that has been added to Calibre should contain the .htm file you originally added and any associated files (images, css etc). If you get a message about being unable to convert this file then that implies it does NOT contain the .htm file.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It is quite possible that it is a file (doc?...) that mislabeled as to being a HTM type
Select the book.
Tap "o"

(Do not delete, add or rename anything in this folder)

the Calibre folder containing the book
you should now be able to un-zip the contents to a Temporary Location, not inside the Library.
Now right click and Open With... Select Notepad (or your preferred TEXT ONLY) editor.
Is what you see normal looking HTML code ?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
jkolnick

I am beginning to think that this is a Word issue. Since I am work on a book that is mostly photography with some text, I need a good authoring tool that does not have a steep learning curve. Please point me to any free or low cost tools that I can use easily.

Thanks

Jerry Kolnick
Old 05-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #9
jkolnick

Smile

BTW I would like to be wysiwyg.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
jkolnick

I found the problem with my file. I guess it was not the zip file, since that is how Calibre works. It was one of my photo files that was corrupted the file. I went back and slowly rebuilt the file from scratch to see what was happening. Sooooo I want to thank you all for your help.

Now I want to try relearning HTML(5) and see if I can create a ePUB from scratch. Now all I have to do is figure out how to convert a HTML(5) file in Calibre.

Thanks again.

Jerry Kolnick