Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-18-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
rene_galupo
rene_galupo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Audio/Video not working in Kindle apps for iPad

Has anyone heard of any update related to adding audio and video to your Kindle files? I wanted to do the same. Found this sample enhanced ebook (Jay-Z Decoded Enhanced Edition) with audio/video for Kindle apps for iPad.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...readID=2676465

I've tried using the latest Kindlegen_v2.4 to generate the mobi with audio/video included but got the same error message when loaded to Kindle apps for iPad "Unable to play audio. There was a problem downloading the audio content of this title. Please remove the book from your device and re-download it."

I tried extracting the mobi file and found out that the audio and video files are not included when the mobi file is generated. Not sure if this is considered as a bug for the tool or there is another process from Amazon that would take place to include the audio/video on the mobi file.

Any response would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
rene_galupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
rene_galupo

Audio/Video not working in Kindle apps for iPad

Has anyone heard of any update related to adding audio and video to your Kindle files? I wanted to do the same. Found this sample enhanced ebook (Jay-Z Decoded Enhanced Edition) with audio/video for Kindle apps for iPad.

I've tried using the latest Kindlegen_v2.4 to generate the mobi with audio/video included but got this error message when loaded to Kindle apps for iPad "Unable to play audio. There was a problem downloading the audio content of this title. Please remove the book from your device and re-download it."

I tried extracting the mobi file and found out that the audio and video files are not included when the mobi file is generated. Not sure if this is considered as a bug for the tool or there is another process from Amazon that would take place to include the audio/video on the mobi file.

Any response would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm confused about what you want an answer to. Are you asking how to run a sample book from Amazon through kindleGen, or are you asking how to create an AV enhanced book for Kindle that is similar to the sample book?
Old 07-19-2012, 01:55 AM   #4
rene_galupo

@jswinden: Thanks for replying to my post and sorry for the confusion.

I would like to know how I can make the audio/video work for my mobi files when loaded to kindle apps for iPad.

I tried to download the sample pages of "Jay-Z Decoded Enhanced Edition" but the audio/video did not work when loaded to Kindle apps for iPad.

I've tried following also the instructions found in the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines under section "3.14 Audio and Video Guidelines" but got the same result.

Looking forward to your reply.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Okay, I thought that was what you were asking but I wanted to verify. I have never attempted to create a Kindle book with AV included therein. So unfortunately I cannot be of much assistance. I will say that side loaded KF8 files often do not exhibit all the features they should, for whatever strange reason. For example, a side loaded book with KF8 formatting, like rounded borders around paragraphs for instance, will not show the KF8 formatting in Kindle for iOS. I asked Amazon CS about this and they said that is by design--that is, they designed it to only work if sent through the cloud.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rene_galupo View Post
I've tried using the latest Kindlegen_v2.4 to generate the mobi with audio/video included but got this error message when loaded to Kindle apps for iPad "Unable to play audio. There was a problem downloading the audio content of this title. Please remove the book from your device and re-download it."
May not make a difference, but the latest Kindlegen is actually v2.5 now. You may want to try that just to be sure.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

I just got the notification to update my Kindle Previewer 2.40 to 2.51. Oddly enough it said I first had to update to 2.41 because of a bug in 2.40 that prevented the update to 2.51. Amazon must have some of the most incompetent programmers in the industry! After two updates I'm now running 2.51. It state that they added a "preview mode to emulate displays as on the Kindle Touch device" and fixed multiple bugs. Let's hope they did fix the bugs and didn't introduce a multitude of new ones like they normally do.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've never really had a bit of trouble with the previewer. In fact ... I find it usually even accurately renders the bugs/quirks that the various devices themselves suffer from. *shrugs*
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Actually, unless you're a Big 6 Publisher, or an approved imprint, it won't matter. Books uploaded through the KDP do not have access to AV functionality, in any form. Even if you make it, you can't upload it; the book won't work. If you get through the KDP, and the book goes on sale, it not only won't work, but will stop somewhere around the TOC.

A/V functionality is not available to publishers accessing Amazon through the KDP--period. I'm sure when that changes, Amazon will be the first to let everyone know.

HTH,
Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 07-19-2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Edited redundant sentence.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I just got the notification to update my Kindle Previewer 2.40 to 2.51. Oddly enough it said I first had to update to 2.41 because of a bug in 2.40 that prevented the update to 2.51. Amazon must have some of the most incompetent programmers in the industry! After two updates I'm now running 2.51. It state that they added a "preview mode to emulate displays as on the Kindle Touch device" and fixed multiple bugs. Let's hope they did fix the bugs and didn't introduce a multitude of new ones like they normally do.
Does Kindle Previewer 2.51 show KF8 with the large line spacing in Kindle Touch mode?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does Kindle Previewer 2.51 show KF8 with the large line spacing in Kindle Touch mode?
I haven't tested it yet. I'll try to get around to it tomorrow.

EDIT: I mean I haven't loaded a book created with KP 2.51 to my Touch yet. The previewer itself didn't show the exaggerated line spacing.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-19-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I haven't tested it yet. I'll try to get around to it tomorrow.

EDIT: I mean I haven't loaded a book created with KP 2.51 to my Touch yet. The previewer itself didn't show the exaggerated line spacing.
The exaggerated line spacing on the Kindle Touch is due to a bug in web-kit. It doesn't respond to line-height and leaves the user with an exaggerated line height.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #13
rene_galupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
A/V functionality is not available to publishers accessing Amazon through the KDP--period. I'm sure when that changes, Amazon will be the first to let everyone know.
Thank you all for replying to my post, specially to HITCH for providing this information.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:40 AM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
You're welcome.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote