Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #91
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
does not erase your contents, just upgrades the software

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
Does this erase the current contents of the kindle as well or is it only performing the update?

-d
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:40 AM   #92
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
I've done this reset thing four times now, and let the kindle sit overnight or for some prelonged amount of time and it still has not picked up any update (the settings/update menu item is ghosted out). The version is 1.0.

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #93
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
The reset didn't work for me either. Yesterday the Kindle was upgraded by Amazon.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #94
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
What worked for me was to go to the Home menu, select check new items. If you see "new items downloaded" at the bottom of your screen, go to Settings and see if the Update Kindle is a viable option, and if so, select it. It was a two-part update, with 1.04 coming only after I'd put the Kindle back to sleep after receiving 1.01.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #95
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The file is available for download from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...226050&#manual
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #96
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
The file is available for download from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...226050&#manual
Quite interestingly, this new 1.0.4 bin file is not the same one (in binary) as the old 1.0.4 bin file I downloaded in mid-February.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:09 PM   #97
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
They changed the initial script to check for enough free space. The actual flashed firmware is exactly the same.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:20 PM   #98
crionox
Enthusiast
crionox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, iPhone, iPad
Mine updated yesterday to 1.0.4. It might have been available to me earlier, I'm not sure, as I generally keep the wireless off unless I need it for something. Still haven't received an email from Amazon though, I wonder if that will be picked back up for future updates?

- David
crionox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:50 PM   #99
cfw123
Enthusiast
cfw123 began at the beginning.

Kindle v1.0.4 arrived

As I posted earlier, I got a v1.0.1 update, but some time afterwards, this became v1.0.4 bringing my Kindle completely up to date. I also got the new manual, which I read start to finish, but could not find anything I recognized as a change from before.

I'm glad to read here the real changes which showed up for users who are very good at recognizing them (I am not). I do wish there was better communication between Kindle and their owners. We are readers -- not idiots, and are surely totally able to understand whatever they will write about such changes. But we do NOT understand a complete absence of information. They have the world's best publishing platform -- they can easily send a note to all Kindle owners, and pass on information we feel we are entitled to. But they don't.

But I love my Kindle, and totally appreciate their three years of work to produce it. Since I'm so satisfied, I've never worked on a list of changes I would like to see in future updates. But I'll mention a few here, which are not criticisms of the Kindle, buy my way of helping Kindle to make it better.

1. I have almost 500 books, and my directory is big. I like the ability in my home page of keying an inital letter, taking me to the first entry in my directory that that starts with that letter. But I also use my "contents" page also, where this doesn't work. I don't see why it works one place, but doesn't in an another almost identical situation.

2. I would like to have the ability in my home directory to show only the first entry after sorting of the main entry when the sort is by author. For example I have almost every Agatha Christe book. I woule like only one Agatha Christe entry to show up when sorted by author. Then by clicking on that entry, bring up just her own books. This would greatly reduce the size of my main directory in that sort, making my task of finding books much simplier. This would not work when sorted by title however.

3. On my PC, in the Kindle section, I can sort books in the Kindle Store by category, which is really great. But I cannot do that from my Kindle when in the Kindle Store, and I can't see why. This is an important way to find books which I would not know about otherwise. So I want it on my Kindle also, as I use that more often than I do the PC facility to do the same.

4. I not only want to find books in the Store by category, but I want to find books in my home directory also by category, since I have so many books already -- and it will certainly grow even bigger in the future. But when I add a book not from the Kindle Store, I want to be able to assign a category code to it as well, which is another facit of the same missing capability. Another way to do this is to allow me to assign a category code to any book already on my Kindle if there is not already a category code present, or if I want to change the category code when one is already there.

5. When I have added books from my own hard disk, I have been unable to correctly title them, and completely unable to apply an author name. I need the ability to edit these two items for books on my Kindle -- no matter how they got there. This is really important to be able to find books when sorted by author or title.

6. When in the Kindle Store, I would like a sort by price, so I could examine all books by price, and thus add more lower-priced books to my Kindle, which I find almost by accident now. This would result in additional sales from the Store, which should help justify this addition.

Charles Wilkes, San Jose, Calif.
cfw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:35 AM   #100
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Mine finally updated to 1.0.4.

I sure hope Amazon adds folder and filename management in the next build. I have children's books Id like to separate from my own personal material.

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #101
kepstein
kepstein began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Slow since update

Since I updated, I have been noticing a general sluggishness when navigating and viewing the home screen.

Anyone else noticing this?

Ken
kepstein is offline   Reply With Quote