Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #61
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagler View Post
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I love my kindle! My favourite authors are; Stephen King, Anne Tyler, Steig Larsson, Henning Mankell, Patricia Cornwell- though the last few Scarpetta books have been disappointing, Stephen Fry - his autobiographies and last of all Bill Bryson.
Welcome to MR, nagler!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #62
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Welcome to MR!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #63
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
Lois McMaster Bujold
Elizabeth Moon
Robin McKinley
C.J. Cherryh
Nancy Kress
Tamora Pierce
Charles de Lint
Nina Kiriki Hoffman
A.S. Byatt
Eliot Pattison
Laurie R. King
Minette Walters
Elizabeth George
Nevada Barr
Barbara Hambly
Neil Gaiman

Are you familiar with this website, that show you authors similar to one you like?

http://www.literature-map.com/eliot+pattison.html
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:40 AM   #64
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjirlly View Post
Are you familiar with this website, that show you authors similar to one you like?

http://www.literature-map.com/eliot+pattison.html
Great link - thank you. It's fun to play with.

Byatt is one of my favourites, too. Most recently I've read The little black book of stories, it was marvellous.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #65
Steve Anderson
Addict
Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, laptop, more
In no particular order, but particular:

Graham Greene
John Le Carré
Martin Cruz Smith
Patricia Highsmith
Philip Kerr
Charles McCarry
John Lawton
Kingsley Amis
Elmore Leonard
Alan Furst

And a heck of a lot more.
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:11 AM   #66
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Anderson View Post
In no particular order, but particular:

Graham Greene
John Le Carré
Martin Cruz Smith
Alan Furst
This is how mine compares.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #67
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
There is only one author I will buy any book from as soon as it comes out, Steve Martin..
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #68
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
David Dalglish
George R.R. Martin
Vince Flynn
Michael Connelly (Bosch stuff)
Christopher Moore
J.K. Rowling
Stephen King
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #69
TonyR
Connoisseur
TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle, Jetbook Lite, iPod Touch
Looking over the bookshelves, it's strange to see how much space there is devoted to dead writers...

Of the living whose books I'll generally buy the moment I see them:
Joseph Epstein, essayist and short story writer
Tabitha King, who unfortunately doesn't seem to be publishing any more fiction; didn't care that much for her first book, Small World, but all the rest are just wonderful--but not available as ebooks.
Harlan Ellison.
William Goldman, who also doesn't seem to have any more fiction coming, but his non-fiction is delightful; of his novels, The Princess Bride, Temple of Gold, Boys and Girls Together, The Thing of It Is..., and Soldier in the Rain are all well worth a look, and Marathon Man is for my money the finest thriller published in the 70s.

And among the dead:
Fritz Leiber, some of whose best work is now available as ebooks. Conjure Wife, Our Lady of Darkness, The Big Time, the Fafhrd and Gray Mouser series, and his short stories as well.
Fredric Brown, excellent mysteries and science fiction
Jorge Luis Borges
Don Robertson, almost entirely out of print now with only three novels available; but if you can find a copy of his novel Mystical Union, grab it.
Theodore Sturgeon
Jon Hassler
John D. MacDonald
Jack Finney -- everyone knows Time and Again, and The Body Snatchers, but if you can find his short story collections The Third Level, and I Love Galesburg in the Springtime, you'll be treating yourself to some delightful nostalgic fantasies. A number of these stories were included in the collection About Time.

Bests to all,

--tr
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:40 PM   #70
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm finding that since I've started joining reading communities and experiencing independent authors, my idea of what is a must have author is undergoing changes. So I'll list a few that have been must haves for a while:

China Mieville
Neil Gaiman
Neal Stephenson
Connie Willis
Barbara Vine
A A Attanasio
Robert McCammon
Iain M Banks
Patrick Rothfuss

I haven't read all books from those authors yet, but it is fair to say that as soon as I see a new book release I'm planning a purchase.

However, I have to say that my interest in a wider range of authors is increasing and has increased quite drastically in the last few months thanks to communities such as MR. Thanks all.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #71
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Here is my list of authors I must buy as soon as a new novel comes out:

Note: Some of these authors have strong female protagonists and are my wife's favorites as well.
  • Kathy Reichs
  • Janet Evanovitch (The Stephanie Plum Novels - not the Bedroom series)
  • Lisa Lutz (Spellman files)
  • Terry Pratchett
  • Jasper FFord

Here I add favorites I am trying to catch up with and back-filing my collection in ebook or audio book:
  • Jim Butcher (The Dresden novels. I have not started his Black Company series)
  • Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child (combos as well as individual)
  • Jack DuBrul (adventure novels on my exercise MP3 player)
  • Tess Gerritsen (The Rizolli novels)
  • Daniel Silva
  • Lisa Scottoline
  • Michael Connelly
  • James Patterson (chapters are 1.5 pages long - cranks a new one out each week)
  • Christopher Moore
  • Glen Cook (The series starting with "Sweet Silver Blues")
  • Connie Willis (try "To Say Nothing of the Dog" then go to Gutenburg for "Three men and a Boat")
  • Orson Scott Card (Start with "Enders Game" - dark but award winning)

And of course - the not writing anymore but you MUST read if you are a sci fi fan:
  • Robert Heinline
  • Arthur C Clark
  • Issac Asimov
  • Emma Bull
  • Ray Bradbury
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #72
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Hmmm! Let's see. . .

Harry Turtledove
SM Stirling
Margaret Atwood
Dennis Lehane
Charles Dickens (His output has slowed some)
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #73
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Hmmm! Let's see. . .

Charles Dickens (His output has slowed some)
No!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:13 AM   #74
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
can't believe nobody has mentioned Penthouse Forums letters yet.

hahaha

But to me I don't know how I could create a list of "must read authors" because most of my "must reads" of years gone by are dead now or close enough that there is nothing new coming from their typewriters anymore. And of the modern era writers there are a number of authors I consider good but none who really captivate me on a consistent basis. Maybe it's the result of having read too much over the decades? All I know is I want to be entertained not preached to or for the author to try and convert me to their way of things. I've learned none of that matters at this point in life.

I think I should add that the commoditization of authors today is a total turn off for me. So when a story line reaches more than 5 or 6 novels I tend to quickly loose interest. Not because the stories might not still be fresh but because I feel the authors are not trying to extend beyond the nice easy to sell formula. I expect a good author to be able to write in more than one "universe".

Last edited by grumpy3b; 04-29-2011 at 04:16 AM.
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:00 AM   #75
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
In no particular order:
Douglas Adams
Dean Koontz
Clive Cussler
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote