Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 04:52 AM   #91
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
I had a pdf-file of which the title was 'Layout1', which obviously was wrong. I had the impression that I could not change the metadata of this file. Can you point me to a tool that can?

Thanks,
Marcel.
http://www.pdflabs.com/tools/pdftk-the-pdf-toolkit/

It's multiplatform and has some external GUI frontends [1], but afaik this frontend doesn't allow to change file metadata, you'll have to do it from command line (look at dump_data*, update_info* commands).

[1] http://www.paehl.de/pdf/?GUI_for_PDFTK

The program I mention (python-based, of course ) can trim the borders and (non-written yet) use pdftk to edit metadata.

Last edited by Iņigo; 01-24-2011 at 05:11 AM.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:03 AM   #92
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Hi Iņigo,

The program functions indeed as specified, but it is not a very convenient way to edit the pdf metadata...

I tried your sysinfo script and I got had the problem that the script has windows line-endings, converting them to unix made it all work. (I did not kill any process yet )

I also tried info.lua, but I am missing some lua libraries (base64) I guess I need to install a newer lua port.

Marcel.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:13 AM   #93
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
I tried your sysinfo script and I got had the problem that the script has windows line-endings, converting them to unix made it all work. (I did not kill any process yet )
Can't understand.
I wrote the code on my home computer, a linux machine. The only windows computer my hands touch is this work laptop, but I don't develop here...
Besides, the script worked both on the qemu and on my DR800.
Haven't you uncompressed and edited the file on your computer before copying on the DR?

Quote:
I also tried info.lua, but I am missing some lua libraries (base64) I guess I need to install a newer lua port.
You need lua package v3 at least.

Iņigo
Old 01-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #94
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
sysinfo works very nicely on both devices for me, a convenient way to switch off the keyboard left over from usbnet or rxvt for instance ...
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #95
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
Can't understand.
I wrote the code on my home computer, a linux machine. The only windows computer my hands touch is this work laptop, but I don't develop here...
Besides, the script worked both on the qemu and on my DR800.
Haven't you uncompressed and edited the file on your computer before copying on the DR?
The work PC has WinZip, which seems to 'conviently' convert Unix files to Dos-files. I tried with 7-zip and then all is fine.
Found it, there is an option 'TAR file smart CR/LF conversion'. Guess it was too smart ...

Quote:
You need lua package v3 at least.
Aha probably forgot to update to the latest version, will do that.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #96
ReadOnlyyy
Banned
ReadOnlyyy began at the beginning.

Device: Android
great info. I'd just like to know which is the lates lua package version available? Thanks
ReadOnlyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #97
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyyy View Post
great info. I'd just like to know which is the lates lua package version available? Thanks
The latest is here v3, released 20101214.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #98
Mackx
Guru

Hi Iņigo,

I looked at your example:
Quote:
An example of my idea, 3 books with tags:
Hacking the DR -> Computers
Programming in Lua -> Devel, Lua
Algorithms -> Devel

We are at HOME, now we tap on "Tags" entry, we see:
Code:
    Tags
    [Up] [Computers] [Devel] [Lua]
    "Hacking the DR" "Programming in Lua" "Algorithms"
(this is a normal DR iconview, think in the [tags] as special folders. As no tag is selected we see all books).

Now we tap on "Devel", we see:
Code:
    Tags: Devel
    [Up] [Lua]
    "Programming in Lua" "Algorithms"
(no [Computer] because there is no book sharing Devel and Computer tags. We see the 2 files with Devel tag).

Now we tap on "Lua", we see:
Code:
    Tags: Devel, Lua
    [Up]
    "Programming in Lua"
(only one book has both tags).
The problem is that the tags are normally not extracted from the database into memory. Therefore it is not that easy to determine the tags that are 'present' in the current set of documents.
So I experimented with another 'interface' for selecting extra tags using a dialog. See the attached picture.
In the top-right you see an extra icon next to the search and short-cut icon.
Pressing it will show the dialog.
Which allows to select a function (E.g.: A and B and C and D, A or B or C or D) and 4 fields to select the value for A..D.
(See bitbucket for code, I only experimented on qemu sofar.)

Currently I still have several limitations/issues in the code, but in the future these could be removed when needed. (Among others: limited number of functions, what will be the behaviour of the comboboxes if too many tags are defined?)

Please give me your feedback.

Marcel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ChangeFileFilter.png
Views:	488
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	68280  
Old 03-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #99
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
bah .. cmon.. stop wasting your time in this device..
there is no more support..
it's time to buy something else..
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:18 AM   #100
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by repods View Post
Why would I do that, I have a perfectly working device that allows me to do all the things I expect from an ereader, with no matching device available in the market. I have a nice development environment that allows me to practice/shape my embedded software capabilities and expand my linux knowledge.
To rephrase your words:
cmon ... please stop wasting your time in this part of the forum ...
there is no-one interested ..
it's time to move to a different part of this forum..
Old 03-14-2011, 03:30 AM   #101
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

repods, I am not completely sure what you are talking about but for some of us users out there, the improvements by Mackx and Iņigo (and a few others) on the DR's ARE precisely the support we are looking for. To my mind and for my purposes, they make the devices better than most readers you can buy, even today. In fact I have not been able to find other readers with a similar set of features (pdf & djvu reading + most (all?) other formats out there through fbreader, xournal for annotations, lots of improvements and tweaks on the UI....)

When I bought the readers, the company was already bankrupt, but at that stage, who cares if the support is "official" or graciously provided by the some developers on this forum?
Old 03-14-2011, 03:33 AM   #102
fekhner
Addict

Mackx was apparently typing faster than myself, and I just realize that I spend more than 12 minutes on my reply, back to work then ....

Last edited by fekhner; 03-14-2011 at 03:35 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #103
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
After more than 1 (DR800) or 2 (DR1000) years there isn't any better ereader in the market.

Anyway, people spend their time in what they want, so please refrain yourself of telling people what they can or can not do.

As Mackx has already said, if you don't like what this forum does or represents, go away, and don't insult the work people are doing or even their interests.

Iņigo
Old 03-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #104
Iņigo
Guru

Hello,

Quote:
The problem is that the tags are normally not extracted from the database into memory. Therefore it is not that easy to determine the tags that are 'present' in the current set of documents.
Sorry, can't understand.
As I understand, tags are extracted before selecting which documents will be shown, not the other way.

Quote:
So I experimented with another 'interface' for selecting extra tags using a dialog.
[...]
Please give me your feedback.
What about a list of ("operation", "tag") dropboxes inside a scrolled vbox:

Code:
+-----------------------------+
|                             |
| Label here                  |
|   |     v|    |tag1    v|   |
|   |and  v|    |tag2    v|   |
|   |or   v|    |tag3    v|   |
|   |not  v|    |tag4    v|   |
|        |ADD ROW|            |
| Result:                     |
|  tag1 & tag2 or tag3 !tag4  |
+-----------------------------+

Problems with this design:
- disambiguation "(tag1 & tag2) | tag3" or "tag1 & (tag2 | tag3)"?
- list (and dialog) could grow too much => use a scrolledwindow for the verticalbox

Iņigo
Old 03-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #105
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Well, that was constructive.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote