Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
aessedai44
aessedai44 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
[Old thread] Kindle 3 and calibre

Hi

I have had a PRS-505 for a while now and it has had lots of use and seen better days. I'm now in the market for a new e-reader and I'm considering the kindle 3, when I've seen some hands-on reviews obviously. I use calibre to transfer books at the moment and I understand that amazon only like you to use their books from their store. If I transfer the books that I currently have on calibre to the kindle will amazon be able to detect that they are not from their store via the wifi connection, especially since the books on the kindle 3 supposedly will be backed up at amazon, and will this cause problems for me?
I don't won't to even consider the kindle if this is the case.

Thanks in advance

Paul
aessedai44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:31 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, you wont have any problems (at least you wont if the Kindle 3 is like the Kindle 2), if not, who knows.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
btobw
btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle 2 & 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aessedai44 View Post
Hi

If I transfer the books that I currently have on calibre to the kindle will amazon be able to detect that they are not from their store via the wifi connection, especially since the books on the kindle 3 supposedly will be backed up at amazon, and will this cause problems for me?
I don't won't to even consider the kindle if this is the case.

Paul
Books from sources other than Amazon are not backed up at Amazon. When you buy a book from Amazon, a copy is available via the 'Manage your Kindle' on the Amazon web site. If that book is not already on your Kindle, it is also available from the archives on the Kindle itself. So the 'backup' does not mean that files are transferred from your Kindle to Amazon; books from other sources have to be backed up locally.

I believe Amazon identifies books using their ASIN in the metadata. Books from other sources will not have an ASIN and consequently, Amazon won't know what they are.
btobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:57 AM   #4
btobw
btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.btobw can eat soup with a fork.

I just received my thread subscription email and noticed that I missed this statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aessedai44 View Post
Hi

I understand that amazon only like you to use their books from their store.

Paul
Whilst Amazon may, as a commercial entity, prefer that you buy books from them , they in no way restrict non-DRM books from other sources as long as they are in the right format (mobi, prc, pdf, txt, html with a .txt extension).

Non-Amazon books are treated exactly the same as Amazon books, except they are not on the Amazon cloud and annotations and bookmarks are not backed up on the Amazon server. They can be added to collections, searched, annotated, highlighted etc etc.

My K2 (and soon K3) has heaps of non-drm books from other sources, many of them free. I use Calibre for converting to mobi if necessary and then transferring to the Kindle - love it!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:44 AM   #5
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by btobw View Post
My K2 (and soon K3) has heaps of non-drm books from other sources, many of them free. I use Calibre for converting to mobi if necessary and then transferring to the Kindle - love it!
Have you converted any ePubs to mobi for your K2? I use a Sony PRS300 with ePubs, (non-DRM), but I am considering replacing it with a K3. Does calibre keep the formatting and TOC when converting ePub to mobi? Are there any conversion issues to be wary of?
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
I have converted many epubs to mobi and not noticed a problem with the formatting or TOC. It may not be perfect, but I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. Most of my books are novels, I don't have a lot of experience with other types of books.
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:23 AM   #7
btobw

kathyfitz pretty much answered for me, and it sounds as though she has more experience than I do. Calibre has various options for detecting and linking TOC, but I don't usually fiddle with them. I've not had any problems if the epub is good to begin with.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:10 AM   #8
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Thanks for the info. My ePubs are mainly non-fiction books/novels and are all of high quality, so it sounds as though conversion to mobi should work well.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
The only problems I have have had is with pdfs. I'm sure I could fiddle with the settings, but I just downloaded mobipocket pro (free) and convert there. Then I import both into Calibre.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
zra
zra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I got my Kindle 3 yesterday, it works better than my Kindle 2 in every way so far. Seems to work with Calibre in exactly the same way. I have no trouble loading .mobi and .prc non DRM content.
zra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:29 PM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
A question for which I have not found a clear answer - can the Kindle 3 download books directly from the Calibre Content Server (i.e. over WiFi/3G). I know it can do it via USB or email but I am interested in being able to pick up a book on-demand from Calibre when on the move and away from my PC?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:30 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

See http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...reading-device
Old 08-31-2010, 02:33 PM   #13
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I read that page!

It talks about Browsing via the Content server. It does not tell me whether I can then click on a download link (typically for a .mobi file), run the download and then immediately start reading the book. I have found lots of suggestions that it might be possible, but not an explicit statement that it works.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:35 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

when you browse using the content server, you get clickable links and IIRC the Kindle opens links pointing to ebook files in its ebook viewer.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:37 PM   #15
itimpi
Wizard

... and are they then available for off-line reading just as if I had transfered them via USB or email?

I have asked some people I know have ordered K3 to check for me but I thought the accumulated wisdom here would probably know the definitive answer.

My Sony has just ha its screen smashed so I am eyeing the Kindle 3 as a replacement, but I definitely want over-the-air download of books from my own server as one of the supported features. I guess I am also interested if it would work over both WiFi and 3G or only one of them.

Last edited by itimpi; 08-31-2010 at 02:41 PM.

Tags
calibre, kindle 3