Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
SonDan1
Connoisseur
SonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it is

Device: Nook 1, Aluratek Libre Pro,Kobo Wi-Fi, Samsung Galaxy Tab, KoboT, NST
[Old Thread] Can I add my own cover graphics?

Hello,

I could not find this in the FAQ: if I overlooked it I am sorry and please link me to it ...

I am loving my new Nook and using Calibre to load my books on since it was so highly recommended in the Nook forum.

It is pretty intuitive, but I can't seem to find a way to add a graphic for the books that the Metadata search can't find a cover for.

Thanks for reading.
SonDan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Open the metadata edit dialog for the book you want to add the cover to, and then a the bottom right where it says "Change cover image" there's a button that will let you browse your filesystem to choose a cover image. The icon is supposed to be an open blue folder, though at that size it kinda looks like a printer with a piece of paper sticking out the top. Anyway, hovering over the buttons will tell you what they are.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:41 AM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
... or another option.

If the image you want is not actually on your PC but is displayed on a webpage. In your browser right-click on the image and select Copy Image. Go back to Calibre and Edit Metadata. Right-click on the existing cover image and select Paste Image.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
korinian
korinian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
jackie_w,
I saw your reply and I didn't know you could do that. I tried it and it replaces the image of the existing book cover under the Edit Metadata screen, but when I actually Convert the book, the image changes to a greyish looking box. Have I done something wrong? Thanks.
korinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
... or another option.

If the image you want is not actually on your PC but is displayed on a webpage. In your browser right-click on the image and select Copy Image. Go back to Calibre and Edit Metadata. Right-click on the existing cover image and select Paste Image.
I found you could even "Drag and Drop" (non-flash) Images from Firefox (should work in M$ IE, but have not bothered to test) to the "book" cover in the editor.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinian View Post
jackie_w,
I saw your reply and I didn't know you could do that. I tried it and it replaces the image of the existing book cover under the Edit Metadata screen, but when I actually Convert the book, the image changes to a greyish looking box. Have I done something wrong? Thanks.
korinian, I use this method all the time and have never had a problem when converting to epub. What format were you converting to? Are you using the latest Calibre?

Also, if you highlight the book and look in the Book Details box at the bottom of the screen you will see "Click to Open" which will take you straight to this book's files in the Calibre Library (don't delete anything). The cover is stored as cover.jpg - does it load OK in your standard image viewer (I use IrfanView)?

If you can't spot anything amiss perhaps you could post the url where you found the image. I'll be happy to try it myself.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:20 AM   #7
SonDan1
Connoisseur
SonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it is

Device: Nook 1, Aluratek Libre Pro,Kobo Wi-Fi, Samsung Galaxy Tab, KoboT, NST
Thank you all very much for the alternate instructions. I knew I came to the right place.

I am so looking forward to trying to add graphics to about a dozen books this weekend. I will post back with my results.

Again thanks for taking time out to help me.
SonDan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
korinian

Quote:
korinian, I use this method all the time and have never had a problem when converting to epub. What format were you converting to? Are you using the latest Calibre?

Also, if you highlight the book and look in the Book Details box at the bottom of the screen you will see "Click to Open" which will take you straight to this book's files in the Calibre Library (don't delete anything). The cover is stored as cover.jpg - does it load OK in your standard image viewer (I use IrfanView)?

If you can't spot anything amiss perhaps you could post the url where you found the image. I'll be happy to try it myself.

jackie-w,
I have a Kindle 2 and am using the latest version of Calibre (0.7.12). The book is the feedbooks MOBI version of The Count of Monte Cristo. The image I was trying to Copy/Paste was from www.fantasticfiction.co.uk.

I pulled up the book at the website and copied the image and then Edited the book in Calibre. I Right Clicked and chose the Paste option and the image appears to have worked, but when I click OK the image changes to a "corrupted looking" black box with multi-colored lines through it. The image gets "jacked up" even before I try and do MOBI to MOBI conversion. It happens as soon as I hit the OK button from Editing.

I tried viewing the cover.jpg using the "click to open" option you mentioned and the viewer shows the same "corrupted" image.

Normally, I have to actually copy the image file down to my machine before browsing to it to put it into Calibre. After not being able to do it your way, I tried it the way I had always done it and it worked fine... so the image is OK. I'm hoping there's an easy fix/explanation because the method you mentioned would save me a ton of time.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@korinian... I'm afraid I'm stumped.

FantasticFiction is the website I use all the time. I've assumed you used the image at this address:
Code:
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/alexandre-dumas/count-of-monte-cristo.htm
I've just tried the copy/paste process on a test book of mine and it worked fine. I can't get it to NOT work. My browser is Firefox and I'm using Windows XP. I wonder if this is relevant?

I would think the mobi/specific book you're using is not an issue. If the cover.jpg is not saving correctly into your library directory then it won't work in a conversion either.

Have you tried a different Calibre book and a different webpage image? Does that work?

I've just tried drag-n-drop from FantasticFiction to Edit Metadata. This also works for me.

I've also repeated the same actions after bringing up Fantastic Fiction in Internet Explorer 8 rather than Firefox. Both methods worked correctly again.

Let's hope someone more technical can chip in with an explanation.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Let's hope someone more technical can chip in with an explanation.
I was curious and tested it. It worked for me
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
korinian

jackie_w,
I tried everything on a different machine. Same OS etc... and it worked. There's just something tweaky with my main machine I guess. I don't have any problems with anything else... just this little copy/paste issue. Really wierd... but, it does work on the other machine. Thanks very much for your help.

Update: After trying to figure out the differences between the two computers, the only thing I could find was that the color depth on the one that didn't work was set to 16 bit and the other was 32 bit. After making the change on the original machine... it is now working also. Thanks again.

Last edited by korinian; 08-05-2010 at 03:59 PM. Reason: New Information
Old 08-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinian View Post
jackie_w,
... the only thing I could find was that the color depth on the one that didn't work was set to 16 bit and the other was 32 bit. After making the change on the original machine... it is now working also.
Excellent. I'm glad you figured it out.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
Androscan
Androscan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Hi, this follows the subject topic, though not the "thread".

What I want to do is to add a graphic to the cover page. I want the metadata from the book to show (author and title), and just have a jpg picture underneath that I can recognize, since the name of the author and title are shown too small on the screen of my Kobo Glo.

So, how do I do this? When in the "Convert Books" options I "Change cover image", the imported jpg takes up the entire space, and the metadata do not show. That means that I should be pre-editing the jpg to add in the title and author, and I would like to not to have to do that....

thanks....

A
Androscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androscan View Post
Hi, this follows the subject topic, though not the "thread".

What I want to do is to add a graphic to the cover page. I want the metadata from the book to show (author and title), and just have a jpg picture underneath that I can recognize, since the name of the author and title are shown too small on the screen of my Kobo Glo.

So, how do I do this? When in the "Convert Books" options I "Change cover image", the imported jpg takes up the entire space, and the metadata do not show. That means that I should be pre-editing the jpg to add in the title and author, and I would like to not to have to do that....

thanks....

A
Use the Generate Cover PLUGIN (not the button in the metadata editor)
to create the cover (uses the Calibre Metadata values)

Now Convert. The conversion will include the current cover in the 'Jacket'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book cover graphic