Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Advice on using Sigil to standardise all epubs for my Kobo

Hey all,
I've been referred onto this program to deal with my pesky epubs.
Basically i'm trying to get all my epubs in the same font, size and layout (including margins, so i can use most of the Kobo screen instead of just having wasted space) instead of having some epubs in one layout format and others setup completely differently.
I tried calibre initially, but was unable to get the desired result.

I guess my question is wether this is a CSS thing that i need to deal with, or can i open my epubs in Sigil and set the above, desired attributes via WYSIWYG editor?

Any advice always appreciated!

digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
Hey all,
I've been referred onto this program to deal with my pesky epubs.
Basically i'm trying to get all my epubs in the same font, size and layout (including margins, so i can use most of the Kobo screen instead of just having wasted space) instead of having some epubs in one layout format and others setup completely differently.
I tried calibre initially, but was unable to get the desired result.

I guess my question is wether this is a CSS thing that i need to deal with, or can i open my epubs in Sigil and set the above, desired attributes via WYSIWYG editor?

Any advice always appreciated!
#1 Use Sigil
#2 make as many changes to the CSS as you can before changing the body..
Change a style in the CSS and the book follows .
Hate that: Change it some more

One Style for all books
I have Basics, that apply to all my books:
Body: Right Margin, Left Margin . That's it.

My base font varies a bit (older eyes).
I have different Justification, different indent schemes, widely different heading styles (in many cases I mimic the dead tree version, I even use small dingbats, rules). And I try to preserve scene breaks by using marks/dingbats as line space ges sublte on small screens.

Just like the dead tree version, I try and be consistent across a Series.

Lastly, I look at my work on a variety of platforms (Reader, Calibre viewer, EPUBReader, Adobe DE to see how it makes the port
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Thanks theducks!
When i say one style, i really mean standard font size and margins/justification to get the most out of the kobo screen. Currently the kobo basically wastes about an inch each bloody side (including top and bottom).

So CSS is the go then?
Hopefully it'll be easy to understand how to make changes... i've never edited CSS before!
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
Thanks theducks!
When i say one style, i really mean standard font size and margins/justification to get the most out of the kobo screen. Currently the kobo basically wastes about an inch each bloody side (including top and bottom).

So CSS is the go then?
Hopefully it'll be easy to understand how to make changes... i've never edited CSS before!
Don't know Kobo, but for EPUB (ADE version) the "body" assigned style should start with the :
left-margin: 2pt /*not quite the edge, adjust so you never lose a character */
right-margin: 16pt /* this leaves room for ADE page numbers */
font-size: 1.2em /* this makes those non-removable ADE page numbers look small at Zoom 2 or 3 */
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote