Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
OK, Stupid Question Time.........

I'm starting to think about getting a Mac. Never used one before so I'm just starting to research it - I'm not particularly computer literate, but usually manage with a bit of trial and error! I know Calibre is Mac compatible but what about the changeover? If I backup my Calibre library will it port from Windows to Mac without issues? At the moment I buy a lot of books in .lit format and crunch them in Calibre but if I use a Mac will I be able to download them? I usually use Firefox browser but have to open IE to download .lit; (how) can I still do this on a Mac???

Sorry....ignorance is no excuse, I know!!

Thanks.
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
porting should go fine. just zip up your library folder and transfer it to your mac, thenpoint calibre to it via Preferences. After porting you should go to Preferences_>Advanced and run the database integrity check to make sure everything transferred ok
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Sounds like even I could manage that!

Thanks, Kovid.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I have calibre on my Macbook at home, and on my XP computer at work. The library is in Dropbox, and is synced between the two. No problems on either end!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
dickon25
Groupie

The library is in Dropbox, and is synced between the two.

So the two versions of Calibre talk to each other? Now that's cool!

How about .lit files on a Mac? Do you have to run IE? (Horrors!!)

Last edited by dickon25; 10-20-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickon25 View Post
IE? Internet Explorer? Converting and or viewing LIT files with calibre does not require or use IE.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
dickon25
Groupie

No, but you need it to download .lit files. I normally use Mozilla Firefox but have to close it and run Internet Explorer when I want to download. I wondered how I would do this if I had a Mac?
Old 10-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #8
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
No, but you need it to download .lit files. I normally use Mozilla Firefox but have to close it and run Internet Explorer when I want to download. I wondered how I would do this if I had a Mac?
That would really depend on where you are getting your LIT files from and why / how they are blocking other browsers. I know that Fictionwise sells LIT books and they can be downloaded with non-IE browsers just fine.

The first thing to try is the User Agent Switcher extension. If that doesn't work and say they are using an Active X download manager (only works on IE) then there are a few other things you can try. You could try running IE in either WINE or CrossOver Mac. One other option is to run Windows and thus IE in a virtual machine. Parallels and VMWare Fusion are two popular pay solutions and VirutalBox is a great free one. I know Parallels and VMWare Fusion allow you to run Windows applications seamlessly, meaning they show up as a window on just like any other OS X app but I'm not sure if VirtualBox supports this.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
The library is in Dropbox, and is synced between the two.

Well, I have access to Windows both at work (on the XP machine) and at home (thru Bootcamp/Vista on the Mac), so I don't really have any compatibility issues. That said, I don't see a lot of .LIT files these days.

And yes, using Dropbox as the intermediary between home and work is pretty awesome (as of course, is Calibre's/Sigil's incredible cross-platform support).
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:51 AM   #10
dickon25
Groupie

User_none and KjK thanks very much for the tips! Now that ePub is growing so rapidly I probably won't feel the need to use lit files much in the future - the main reason I go for it now is so I can control all my library through Calibre, rather than having to switch between ADE and Sony's library. But I needed to know that it would still be possible.

I feel a purchase coming on......

Old 10-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #11
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
They dont talk to each other... they just access and manipulate the eBook database the same way and is compatible with both
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote