Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 05-11-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
wandermaybe
wandermaybe began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DXG
Reading comfort of Aluratek Libre Color 7″ LCD & Libre Pro 5" ePaper

Hi,

I'd be interested in anyone experiences with the screens on the Aluratek Libre Color 7″ LCD, and the Pro eBook Reader ePaper.

How comfortable are they for reading?

I'd also be interested in any other thoughts on them, ease of use, quality, etc.
wandermaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:39 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I have an Aluratek Libre Pro, but I do almost all my regular ebook reading using an
Ectaco jetBook Lite which uses the same screen and is made by the same Chinese
hardware maker. I have no problem reading from the Reflective TFT LCD screen, in
most lighting conditions. If you have the lighting condition to read a paper book,
then it would be fine for this screen.

There are a large number of 7" LCD tablet devices a few like the Libre Color pay a
little more attention to their functionality as ereaders. Any Android tablet can run
ebook reading software/apps.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
Ponchitto
Ponchitto began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre - Pocketbook - Liberati Wifi IQ701
I have one of those too. It's my first ereader, and love it. It came as a mistake: I was supposed to receive Libre color and they sent libre pro. But had no problem keeping it: it's great, handles DRM protection with no extra problems, and being as simple as is, can also load photos and mp3 sound great with a good pair of earbuds.
Most readers or tablets do a lot of things but ereaders goal is simplicity. They do what they do: show books. I'd also love to try the new barnes and noble with led light ereader.
Screen on this is really good. As I posted elsewhere here, the main trouble with small ereaders is when you load a pdf that is made of full scanned pages of a book. When it's in the ereader native formats, this device fells a champ. Battery is really good, that's nice too... And the screen makes you forget about it's an electronical device, even my wife that she self-defines as a "paper lover" found this little champ surprisingly useful when it came to convert her notes to pdf to study for three important tests she had... (I use dopdf or Infix)
I Hope I'd be as useful with this few thoughts.

Alfonso

Last edited by Ponchitto; 05-12-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Ponchitto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I have both the Jetbook, and the jetbook mini,
The mini has somewhat an upgraded screen, under certain light angles, the text appears to have a higher contrast; unlike the Jetbook where the angle of the source of light makes little difference in contrast ratio.
The mini's contrast ratio is the same as the jetbook at worst, and better at best.

In either condition, a 0.5 W white LED spot, or a 2-3 watt LED nightstand lamp is good enough. that compares to a ~5W incandescent spot, or a 30-40w incandescent night stand lamp. You could also comfortably read outside under light conditions when the sun just went down.

There are instances where you will be able to read a book under candle light (in a dark room). This is too dark for the jetbook (which has presumably the same screen as the aluratek.

But chances are very small you will find yourself stuck to these conditions. Under any other circumstance, you will have sufficient light to read.

Your issues however will be more the screen resolution, as it has a 640x480 pixel screen, which is barely enough for text files (and if you're lucky, and the device supports image scaling, it would work for epub too).
But pdf in full view is a no on this devices, and honestly, to me, these devices are only good as text readers. So if you don't mind reading pdf's in reflow, or reading regular text files, this one is a nice device.
However, I'm not too fond of the tft screens. they get upto 24 or 80 hours battery life, while that is nothing compared to e-ink which has battery life between 700 and 1400 hours (~7000 page turns), meaning you could be reading several weeks on one battery charge on e-ink, while on tft you'd be needing to charge the battery every 2-3 days.

Compared the Ectaco Jetbook mini (TFT) to the Astak Ez Reader Pro (e-ink) in reading contrast, and I'd have to say the TFT screens give out complete blacks, but the whites are light grey.
E-ink's whites are pretty white, but the blacks are more darkish grey.

e-ink is better readable in darker environments than tft,. TFT is better readable in sunny outside light, than e-ink (as sunlight reflecting of the white e-ink hurts the eyes).

Either one has benefits over the other, but I prefer e-ink's mobility (battery life) over tft!

You could take it to a transatlantic flight, miss a flight,stay a few days in a hotel until your next flight, without having to worry about charging it.

Last edited by ProDigit; 05-13-2012 at 08:45 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
There is also the fact that an e-Ink page turn is something of an event, while the TFT
LCD can flick through pages without making it something that you notice.

If you get one like the the jetBook Lite or Mini, you can charge rechargeable batteries
offline, and have a set available whenever you need another 30hours, or more, of
reading time. If you should have neglected to carry or not had an opportunity to charge
up a spare set, you can pick up regular batteries while on the go, almost anywhere.

These ereaders let you keep your ebook library on an SD card (at least one other, well
advertised, e-ink ereader does not).

I would not normally recommend the jetBook Mini as it only supports two formats. The
jetBook Lite supports a great many and even three DRM scams (Adobe .epub/,pdf;
Barns&Noble .epub; and Secure eReader .pdb)

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Yes, one thing I do prefer on TFT is it's immediate response time!
It makes browsing through menu's and flipping through pages a breeze!
Press and hold a direction button is like on a computer, racing through menus at a fast rate.

I personally think that 640x480pix is only good for text, and there is a multitude of programs that can convert any file to .txt.
So as long as you don't mind losing formatting, which is something you probably won't need on such low resolution devices (since if text is bold or in a larger font, there would fit only few words on the screen), the jetbook mini is your best device.

What I like about the mini compared to the Jetbook, is it's instant on function. Booting OS takes less than a second, and pageflips are remarkably faster. Also it fits perfectly in the hand, thanks to it's battery compartment balancing out the screen, and the buttons are placed where your fingers are.
Something the Jetbook does not have.

The moment you want formatting and pictures, the jetbook (I presume the same as the Aluratek Libre pro 5") becomes your best device of the 2!
The mini can display it, but the FB2 file format is not very recognized, and Calibre is not converting files to FB2 correctly for the mini resolution (640x480; it is set up for 800x600 devices, thus the last word or words of a sentence end up in a sentence by itself on the next line, unless you want to read in portrait mode).
Also FB2 is ridiculously slow! Loading a book for the first time can take upto 2,5 minutes, for a medium, 150 pages book (has probably more than 800 pages on the small screen of the mini)!
Luckily the reading device does background preparation of the other books while you're reading, so that opening consecutive fb2 books won't take too long anymore, if you give it some time to do that.
But even page flips on the mini, as well on the Jetbook, as soon as there are pictures included, a page flip could take a few seconds, almost as slow as e-ink.

So the faster response is a definite positive, however it's not always (with every page flip) guaranteed that much faster than e-ink (the mini only has a 200mhz processor).

Last edited by ProDigit; 05-13-2012 at 06:07 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comfort, epaper, eye, lcd, libre