Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #21841
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
My car broke down on me, on an access road with no shoulder to pull off on, in an unsafe area, at dusk tonight. Called AAA, and apparently got a dispatcher-in-training. It took her FOREVER to find my location on her map and send somebody out. My nephew headed out to wait with me, but he was a good 45 minutes away. I've never been so happy to see blue lights as I was when a cop pulled up behind me. He was so sweet, and told me just to wait in the car and he would stay parked behind me with the lights on and "keep me safe" until either the tow truck or Zach showed up.

My nerves were so jangled by the time I finally got home. My mechanic was closed for the day so we had to leave the car in the parking lot and drop the keys through the key drop. I'm pretty much settled down now, so I think I'll call it a night. I HATE breaking down on the road. That's the main reason I drive Hondas -- they tend to be pretty reliable. I still don't know what happened, but it was accompanied by a great deal of noise that did not come from the engine. Maybe something to do with an axle? Anyway, we'll see tomorrow. Off to bed!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #21842
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
oh gosh Betty! I know how frustrating that can be! I've had some pretty epic breakdowns;

*having my drive shaft fall out while driving with my two kids in the car
*blowing the transmission in my RV with my teenage daughter and a foreign exchange student, and 12 long rifles about 12 poundsof black powder (5 is legal) who knows how many rounds of .22 ammo.... we were on our way to a black powder rendezvous
*in a blizzard with bald tires and my daughter and no money or phone
*the absolute worst was blowing the transmission in my suburban while I was in the far left lane eastbound I90 going into the mercer island tunnels where the lanes neck down, it was about 0900 on a spring morning (Sun was in the drivers eyes, and I was positive someone was going to plow into me)
there are many more, but those stand out as epic. kind of like plane crashes, if you can walk away you're doing good!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #21843
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Betty that is something that I am always afraid of happening to me. I am glad you are home and safe. Thank goodness for the very understanding policeman.

I hope that it is nothing too bad with your car and it can be up and running before too long.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #21844
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
So glad you are home safe and sound, Betty! And I hope whatever it is doesn't turn out to be very expensive *hugs*.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:35 AM   #21845
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I say pull out your six-shooter and take care of the problem, that's legal there right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Is that your solution to everything?

There are very few problems that can't be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

"Bother!" said Poo, as he called in an air strike.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #21846
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
There are very few problems that can't be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

"Bother!" said Poo, as he called in an air strike.

Stitchawl
awesome! a bear after my heart!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #21847
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
My car broke down on me, on an access road with no shoulder to pull off on, in an unsafe area, at dusk tonight. Called AAA, and apparently got a dispatcher-in-training. It took her FOREVER to find my location on her map and send somebody out. My nephew headed out to wait with me, but he was a good 45 minutes away. I've never been so happy to see blue lights as I was when a cop pulled up behind me. He was so sweet, and told me just to wait in the car and he would stay parked behind me with the lights on and "keep me safe" until either the tow truck or Zach showed up.

My nerves were so jangled by the time I finally got home. My mechanic was closed for the day so we had to leave the car in the parking lot and drop the keys through the key drop. I'm pretty much settled down now, so I think I'll call it a night. I HATE breaking down on the road. That's the main reason I drive Hondas -- they tend to be pretty reliable. I still don't know what happened, but it was accompanied by a great deal of noise that did not come from the engine. Maybe something to do with an axle? Anyway, we'll see tomorrow. Off to bed!
Oh My! Glad you are okay! Hope the repairs are not too expensive/complicated.

That situation is definitely one of my 'anxiety' producing buggaboos.

Last edited by kennyc; 01-09-2013 at 06:38 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #21848
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Is that your solution to everything?
That's what most of the world think of 'mekins now dontcha know.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #21849
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

People have this device, in their pockets, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.

They use it to look a pictures of cats, and get into arguments with strangers...

Stitchawl
Old 01-10-2013, 04:21 AM   #21850
Stitchawl
Opsimath

I'm trying to understand how a Sony 505 can work perfectly for four years, using it twice yesterday, but when going back to it a third time is completely screwed up! I have taken it apart, replaced the battery, cleaned all the contacts I can get to, removed and replaced all the ribbon cables, and it still refuses to move. I can connect it to Calibre which recognizes it. I can download and save all the books that are stored in it. But no matter which buttons I push, it don't go.... I don't understand. Grrrrrrrrr........

Stitchawl
Old 01-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #21851
kennyc

Oh No. I'm Sorry. Mine is kinda dead right now (battery) so it sits (but still works). On two occasions in it's history it acted like you describe. Each time I had to plug it in to the wall charger directly and let it charge for several hours and then do a rest. Each time I did this process several times and it finally came back.

The final issue I had with mine before I stopped using it was that it would forget all it's bookmarks every time I connected to the computer/calibre. I never did figure out why it was doing that or why it started. It worked fine for years and then just went insane.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #21852
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Oh No. I'm Sorry. Mine is kinda dead right now (battery) so it sits (but still works). On two occasions in it's history it acted like you describe. Each time I had to plug it in to the wall charger directly and let it charge for several hours and then do a rest. Each time I did this process several times and it finally came back. (
Using a YouTube video, it was a ten minute operation to remove the battery and replace it with a new one I had previously bought. But it didn't help. I had the reader plugged into the wall charger all night, but it still refused to acknowledge the fact that I was pressing the reset button. There is just a mish-mosh of e-ink scribbles on the screen that refuses to change. The charging light came on when I put in the new battery, but after two hours it turned off. The reader can be seen by my computer file manager and by Calibre, but it can't do anything by itself . It's dead. May it rest in peace. I've already stolen my wife's Sony Touch. That will have to do until I either win the Mystery Story prize or get downtown to buy my own. At least these days I won't have to order one from the States as I did before.

Stitchawl
Old 01-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #21853
kennyc

Quote:
Using a YouTube video, it was a ten minute operation to remove the battery and replace it with a new one I had previously bought. But it didn't help. I had the reader plugged into the wall charger all night, but it still refused to acknowledge the fact that I was pressing the reset button. There is just a mish-mosh of e-ink scribbles on the screen that refuses to change. The charging light came on when I put in the new battery, but after two hours it turned off. The reader can be seen by my computer file manager and by Calibre, but it can't do anything by itself . It's dead. May it rest in peace. I've already stolen my wife's Sony Touch. That will have to do until I either win the Mystery Story prize or get downtown to buy my own. At least these days I won't have to order one from the States as I did before.

Stitchawl

May the Farce be with you!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #21854
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
That will have to do until I either win the Mystery Story prize or get downtown to buy my own. At least these days I won't have to order one from the States as I did before.
If you don't win, you can have my K3 that I don't use anymore now that I have my KFHD . If you're okay to be seen with a Kindle, that is? I know what you Sony owners are like....
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #21855
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
If you don't win, you can have my K3 that I don't use anymore now that I have my KFHD . If you're okay to be seen with a Kindle, that is? I know what you Sony owners are like....
Hey if you're giving things away....

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness