Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Jetbook, which is the preferred format?

I just wonder which file format you prefer with the jetbook?

Seeing that it can read ePub, pdf, HTML, PRC, MOBI, RTF, TXT, PDF, and FB2, which do you prefer (if you could download a book in any of these formats)?

Another thing,
In the near future I'm probably also going to make some ebooks again (and upload them to MobileRead).
Seeing that the website generally focuses on MOBI, LRF, epub, and imp, my selection for this device is limited to mobi, html, and epub.

I'm mainly interested in which of the above formats are recommended mainly for:
1- compatibility with other devices
2- readability on the device (I know a lot of devices have issues with pdf)
3- if the illustrations show well on the screen
4- If the book format has a long or short loading time
5- If there is perhaps a noticeable battery life degradation when using some formats over others (eg: does one book format consume more cpu or battery than another, if you know)?

Thank you!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I've noticed that those who become technically involved with the formats prefer ePub, but I would say that I prefer mobi on my jetBook Lite because the lines are spaced a little bit closer.

I gather that people can play with the fonts with ePub, but that's not something I'm interested in either.

Finally, GhostHawk always used to say that his favorite was rtf, and I've never had a problem with that one either.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:51 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I just wonder which file format you prefer with the jetbook?
I prefer ePub, but this really should be in the Ectaco Jetbook sub-forum.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I would think it would be ePub, also. It may be the best fit for 1 - 4, #5 might be
hard to establish, in most cases the format has no real effect on battery. The reader
software is implemented in a manner that limits any CPU intensive features, of a format,
to match the embedded device's capabilities.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The thing is, epub is a compressed format, so I would suspect that over a HTML or TXT file it consumes little more energy. Seeing that the jetbook, as well as many other readers have only a 200Mhz processor, I don't know how that would translate in page turn delays or book loading time.
I suppose it would be minimal, judging from responses...
Old 11-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
When an ebook is loaded, at first there is a countdown of the pages of the book,
presumably it is doing some sort of page format alignment. Once that has been done
there is not a noticeable delay in the page turns. As for the page turns speed
comparison between the different formats, I haven't noticed any difference.

This should be true for both the regular jetBook and the jetBook Lite which I use, as
for the most part the reading software is the same, with the current firmwares.
(Adobe Reader Mobile 9.1.1 for ePub & pdf)

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:40 PM   #7
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I usually use epub books, but that's mostly out of habit. I have downloaded some mobi files and they were perfectly readable. Any ebook that I have ever been interested in has been available in either epub or mobi. I have tried PDF, and some looked great and others didn't.

With regard to illustrations, the limitation here is the monochrome screen. Most color illustrations have looked pretty muddy on my screen. B&W illustrations look pretty good, and line drawings look great.

Books load quickly enough that I can't ever remember getting impatient.

Seriously, I think you're going to have a blast! Enjoy!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:45 PM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Don't the mobi books display in sans serif type? I thought they did, which is the main reason I convert everything to epub.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Mobi files are sans serif on my JBL, but I find them readable.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Mobi files are sans serif on my JBL, but I find them readable.
Thanks, I couldn't remember for sure how mobi files displayed.

I think serif type is so much easier to read, and it's a small matter to convert to epub, so I do.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #11
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
I've just bought a Jetbook secondhand (first e-reader I've had), and so far I've only used ePub, converting where necessary. There is no particular reason for this other than I know that once it is in that format it works both on my laptop and my Jetbook - the one DRM'd file I have bought from Amazon was run through a filter to lose the DRM, because Calibre wouldn't open it otherwise.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #12
ProDigit
Karmaniac

I prefer epub now!
I love 16pt for letter size, but I love 12pt for amount of text per sentence.
Jetbook Color will probably provide me with a sufficiently large text size, while also providing me with sufficient amount of text per page.

Mobi is not bad, just looks simpler than epub. RTF I don't like, because it's filesize is too large. PDF generally is a nono. Even with reflow there are a lot of (especially title and picture) errors.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
ePub is the international standard, on the opposite, Mobi is older, rough and limited from a typographic point of view.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:55 AM   #14
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
ePub is the international standard, on the opposite, Mobi is older, rough and limited from a typographic point of view.
That's not completely true. Both mobi and epub are based in a reduced HTML tagged XML.

Mobi is actively maintained by Amazon, and it has some things that ePub doesn't (at least version 2) like DOM extensions and an standard annotation formal. One mobi or prc annotated ebook can be viewed with its annotations in any standard program (like Mobipocket Reader for PC/Windows Mobile/Windows CE and Kindle).
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #15
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
That's not completely true.
I see you have a real passion for Amazon's products, from your readers to your blog.

Isn't it true that ePub is the standard?

Are you aware of all the formatting you can do with ePub and cannot do with Mobi? Did you ever notice the difference in embedding images between the two formats?
I'm no expert on this, but it's not that difficult to list all the differencies.

Mobipocket Reader for PC is completely outdated, the company has been acquired long time ago and the software remained where it's been left.

And why all the world should remain connected to a format like Mobi? Amazon itself is going to drop it sooner or later

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-07-2012 at 10:04 AM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote