Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #16
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryDog View Post
New release minor improvements. Most notable is the Similar Books tab now show something .
I like the changes you've made! I just found 4 or 5 books I want but shouldn't spend any money on just yet. But hey, that's what my wishlist is for. I just love the way I can browse in a way that feels so much more natural than trying to browse on the Amazon site.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #17
CoryDog
CoryDog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony EReader PRS-500
New and improved release is avaliable.
CoryDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #18
CoryDog

New Version.

Added Politics and Current Events as well as Business genres. Now you can browse upwards of 40,000 Kindle books quicker and easier than ever.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:07 AM   #19
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Wow, looks nice. Not worth changing my browser for though. I'm a died in the wool Firefox user. Sorry. I would love an app like this though.
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #20
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
I like the potential of this app a lot. Hope you have the motivation to carry it through to completion.

A feature that would be very nice is to be able to hover the mouse cursor over a cover and get a popup bubble with the basic stats for that title. You know like title, author, price, short dust jacket blurb. Audible does something like that on their site as does Netflix. Given your goal is to make browsing more efficient requiring users to click on the title to see the details is no more efficient than the current very weak Amazon Kindle Store.

Another feature would be the ability to also show only books available from Audible. The Kindle does play Audible books so it seems a natural given that Amazon has owned Audible for more than a few years now. Amazon has integrated the Audible library into the main site anyway.

I don't know how easy either feature would be to incorporate as I am not familiar with the Amazon API and don't know what data is exposed to the developer.

Good luck this does appear to be one of the few Chrome apps with real promise so far. Some are interesting but nothing too exciting yet.
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #21
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Looks great, Cory! Nice work.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #22
CoryDog

Tanga,

Was a big FF user and Firefox4 looks fantastic. I explored supporting FF and it would be drop dead simple except for one killer issue, cross site XHR calls. I have, as of yet, not found a solution to this problem on Firefox that does not involve the user munging around in low level security settings and flags. And I won't ask a user to do that. The web is no place to click around in with compromised security.

With FF4 out I'll take a hard look at it again.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #23
CoryDog

grumpy3b,

The popup on hover _is_ top of the list. In fact I'll pound it out this weekend. And I'll take a look at Audible for sure. Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:10 AM   #24
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Wow Cory. That is good news. I'll certainly be keeping an eye out. Sorry I can't be of any help, but my google-fu lead only to a lot of stuff I couldn't understand. Good-luck!

PS - Mozilla 4 is pretty cool. Not very big overheads either.
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #25
Tarr
Tarr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Thanks man, I was a die hard FF fan but I tried Chrome side by side with FF4 and ended up switching. Anyways, you'd think Amazon would have something to make it easier for kindle users but they don't so thank goodness you're here t fix it. It's VERY useful and I love it.

As a note, and I really doubt it should matter in the slightest since it's as of yet a small userbase, you might want to throw in a note on the main page about the trademarked logos belonging to their respective owners and that whole bunch of garbage. The 007 logo is the only one that I think is trademarked but just throwing it out there.

I wouldn't change the default size of the thumbnails because of the limiting you'd get for books per page but some books layout and cover design make it harder to read at the current size and while I can just click would it be feasible to add some on mouse-over zoom feature for convenience?

Just noticed Religion as a refinement under Sci-Fi. Is this based on Amazons tags? This might offend some folks as it clearly goes under Fantasy. (Unless it's Scientology) I kid I kid, but ya, out of place I think.

Last edited by Tarr; 04-10-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #26
CoryDog

New very minor release. Had to do my taxes this weekend : 0 Thanks for the feedback, CWat, Ta*, grump et al.

Tarr, Grumpy3b: I added the hover over a cover and it pops up without a click. Click outside the popup or just hover over any small cover outside the popup and it goes away.

Tarr, the current classifications are Amzn with some tweaking. They are not the best, a reason why browsing about on amzn sorta sucks. Which is the problem I want to address.

In fact my main driver was to offer an alternative and hopefully superior book ontology. Richer and deeper. In SciFi, Punk, Cyperpunk, Steampunk etc... I know how to do it. But writing a smart classifier based off of book descriptions would definitely take some time. But I really want to get there. I'll put up a TM blurb as well.

Going to leave UI for awhile and add some new features. Current plans are:

1) Separate tab to see current 100 best sellers, 100 new release, 100 movers and shakers for each genre.
2) Save a book for later. You'll have a separate tab with a grid with all your saved for later books.
3) Keyword Search. Again separate tab with a simple google like text search field. Results displayed in the grid of covers just like in the current browse tab.

Last edited by CoryDog; 04-10-2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: thanks
Old 04-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #27
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
outstanding, will download the newest version now. Love the idea of what you are working toward. THANKS and your original motivation is in my favorite reading areas so even better for me!
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #28
CoryDog

0.7.7 Release is out. Now you can sample the first chapter of book before you buy.

Click the sample read button and the Kindle Web Reader pops open with the first chapter of the book.

Refreshed all genres with latest offerings. Over 1,000 new books.

Last edited by CoryDog; 04-17-2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: refresh
Old 04-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #29
CoryDog

V0.8.0 Is now out.

Adds browsing for the Literary Genre section. Which in essence is just one big pile of books. Over 30,000 Kindle books.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #30
CoryDog

V0.9.0 Kindle Active Content (Apps) as well as Kindle Books.