Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Unhappy oh my god i think i broke it. please help.

i've had a shiny new 700 for two entire days now. i adore it, but i've not even had the time to explore all the different functions. today i was trying to convert a dictionary to use on it and trying different file formats. it was a very big file, whatever the format (i was testing epub and rtf). after transferring the file manually via the file explorer i ejected it and tried to turn it on ; it got to the start up screen with the turning arrows but showed "no books" "no collections" etc. and got stuck. i reset it using the reset button in the back and it began to turn on again but got stuck again on the home screen. the led on the top was on yellow unblinking, then after another attempt to reset (nothing happened) and an attempt to do a complete shutdown (by holding the power switch for several seconds) it is blinking yellow. it is stuck on the home screen and nothing will react.

i plugged the usb cable back in thinking i would remove the large file, if that is making it freeze, but apparently windows doesn't see it, nothing happens : windows file explorer doesn't see it nor does the "eject usb device" manager (although the led turns red with still the yellow blinking as well, which i think indicates the battery is charging).

the battery is completely charged currently.

i really hope somebody knows how to fix it because i think i will cry if it's not possible. my cousin got it for me in canada and mailed it to me but since i live in france i've got no warranty, and i can't afford to buy another one.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Ack! I can offer no advice, but can offer a virtual hug and some choccie
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Ack! I can offer no advice, but can offer a virtual hug and some choccie
can i have two please ? (hugs i mean) i think this is a two-hug problem.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Here's a third hug, and can you call support and see what they say? They can be very helpful......go online and find the number? Best of luck.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
So basically none of the Sony wiki reset tips worked?

Does anyone know if this is indicative of a "bricked" unit? any specific PRS700 recovery?

Sorry, I don't own a Sony, so this is a bit out of my league. However, being in Canada, I could help get it "repaired"....
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Here's a third hug, and can you call support and see what they say? They can be very helpful......go online and find the number? Best of luck.
i will definitely call them tomorrow but won't they be closed right now ? it's sunday. thanks for the hug.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
So basically none of the Sony wiki reset tips worked?

Does anyone know if this is indicative of a "bricked" unit? any specific PRS700 recovery?

Sorry, I don't own a Sony, so this is a bit out of my league. However, being in Canada, I could help get it "repaired"....
i looked for the "hard reset" option in the 700 manual but it requires you to press the back and + buttons while it is turning on, and mine won't turn on anymore.

could you really help me get it repaired if i send it to you ? i might not have another option.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #8
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
can i have two please ? (hugs i mean) i think this is a two-hug problem.
*more hugs*

I know people have said the 505 can take "a while" to index large files, but I have no idea if this would also be the case for the 700 - how long have you left the 700 before trying to use it? And how large was the file? I am just clutching at straws here - the only time I've had to reset my 505, pressing in the button on the back and turning the power on worked.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:09 PM   #9
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
could you really help me get it repaired if i send it to you ? i might not have another option.
For sure, I'm your backup plan!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #10
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
You say the battery is completely charged but when they're new the battery sometimes acts screwy (not normal). I'd suggest doing a long (several hours) charge (with an AC charger preferably) and another reset to see what it does.

I had a similar problem with my Cybook Gen3 (not a new battery). It was "supposedly" charged to full. I panicked (that's why I have an Astak Ez Reader too now) but after letting it change all night & resetting it, it came back OK and has been good ever since.

I'm not sure the 700 comes with the AC charger (maybe just the USB cable) but the 500 I have will not charge from a completely flat (dead) battery from the USB.

Also you might want to remove any memory cards when you try to reset. A bad card can sometimes cause problems.

Good luck & hope this helps.

Oh and you can have all the virtual (or real) hugs you need/want.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #11
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Try this:
1. press reset
2. connect USB cable
3. turn it on
4. after it boots, you should see the USB connection screen and the drive should appear in your PC.
5. delete the offending book(s).
6. if that didn't help, repeat 1-4 but format the drive instead.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #12
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
You say the battery is completely charged but when they're new the battery sometimes acts screwy (not normal). I'd suggest doing a long (several hours) charge (with an AC charger preferably) and another reset to see what it does.
Might it be better to let the battery drain completely first?

I'm just wondering if it might reset after all the power has been drained.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

igorsk, you are my HERO !!!!

it seems to be working again now !! THANK YOU so much !!! i can't even tell you how relieved i am.

just for reference, i did a reset again and got a bit excited because the first loading screen appeared (it didn't, the last time). then it got stuck again showing no files anywhere on the home screen. so i reset again and plugged in the usb cable. i noticed the led was completely off now, not flashing yellow, and not red either (so maybe the battery really is 100% charged ? but i don't know what the flashing yellow means. probably "this device will self-destruct in 3 seconds").

i turned it on, and nothing happened at all, and i was worried, but i had read in the manual that after a reset it can take 5 minutes to turn on if the usb cable is plugged in, so i just waited, and after about 5 minutes the screen began to flash, the loading screen appeared, and then the usb screen (that didn't work before either).

i deleted the book, ejected, unplugged, and waited, and after a few seconds it has now properly turned on and correctly shows 76 books, 24 collections, 16 notes.

ouf !!!! thank you SO MUCH ! huge karma to you. and thank you everyone else for the moral support and hugs, i really needed them !
Old 12-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

oh and by the way : 700 users, i recommend you do NOT try to stick a 12mo rtf file on there. it doesn't like that AT ALL.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hooray for MobileRead and its awesome knowledgeable HELPFUL people!!!!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote