Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #1
fopath
fopath began at the beginning.

Device: none
New to ebook readers

I've been exploring buying a reader and have narrowed by choices mainly to Kindle and Cybook. I'm interested in hearing what and why other forum members recommend. I'm open to other suggestions is there is something clearly better than these two. Thanks
mg
fopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
That's kind of an open ended question, so I will answer your question with more questions.

Where do you live?
What do you plan on reading?
What features are most important to you?
How did you narrow it down between those two devices (and what are your concerns about each)?

(Oh..and welcome!)
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
fopath

New reader

I live in the US. I will primarily be reading general literature (new release novels most commonly). Looking for convenience and ease of use.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:41 PM   #4
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopath View Post
I live in the US. I will primarily be reading general literature (new release novels most commonly). Looking for convenience and ease of use.
I don't know anything about the Cybook (primarily looked at Sony and the Kindle).

I chose the Kindle for the reasons you speak of...availability of most new releases for $9.99, ability to download samples, and the ease of Whispernet. Things like being able to download mobi books from other sources (including my public library) were just icing on the cake.

I love mine so much that I bought one for my mother (who is not computer savvy).
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:56 PM   #5
fopath

Great. Thanks a lot.
Advert
Old 12-01-2008, 12:33 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopath View Post
Looking for convenience and ease of use.
Certainly the Kindle is the right device for you.

However, order now and you are in for a pretty long wait.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:42 AM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Sony PRS is good if you scan/create your own documents,or if you're happy with some great older works that are copyright free (Belong to public domain).

Otherwise the sony library sells a little less books than Amazon,for a little more $$

I still don't think more than $10 for an ebook is justified.
I mean, a lot of printing cost, and paper cost of a 15-25$ book can be eliminated.
download costs are comparable to a company's internal shipping and handling costs.
A bookstore all of a sudden can run on 30-50% less personnel too!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:04 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have a CyBook and am extremely happy with it. Its chief benefit is that it supports MobiPocket, which gives you access to lots of different bookstores and a wide selection of books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:36 AM   #9
ravenlife
Connoisseur
ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Sony PRS is good if you scan/create your own documents,or if you're happy with some great older works that are copyright free (Belong to public domain).

Otherwise the sony library sells a little less books than Amazon,for a little more $$

I mean, a lot of printing cost, and paper cost of a 15-25$ book can be eliminated.
download costs are comparable to a company's internal shipping and handling costs.
sorry little off topic,

i agree wholeheartedly with this, we all aught to get to gether and lobby the book sellers to reduce the costs,

im in the uk and waterstones (sonys partner with the prs-505) is very expensive for instance

brisngr - chris paolini is
£13.59 for the ebook
£8.49 for the hardback

which is rediculous, however they do have cheaper ebooks, none of which are cheaper than the usual paperback.

im in the middle of deciding on my own reader, i would get myself a kindle if i was in the US.
ravenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you don't want to wait until after Christmas for the Kindle, then I suggest either the Cybook (try Books on Board) or perhaps the EZ Reader which is a Hanlin V3 shipped from the US. Both the Cybook and the EZ Reader will read DRMed MOBI ebooks. The Cybook has better support for MOBI than the EZ Reader, but both are "good enough". The bare bones Cybook is cheaper, but you need a case which comes bundled with the EZ Reader. If you buy an EZ Reader, someone needs to be home to accept the shipment (check with BoB about their shipping policy).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post

While I would vote for the Kindle if inexpensive new releases are important, one tic I'd put in the Sony column is library (public, not Sony Connect library) books. If I'm not mistaken the latest firmware on the 505 (not the 500) supports the DRM-ed PDF used by public libraries. On my local public library's Overdrive Ebook service, there are a lot more titles in DRM-ed PDF than in Mobipocket and it seems many new books are being added only as PDF. I wonder if that's because .mobi DRM has been cracked. Still, I don't find many of the current titles I want available through my library, so I'm glad I have my Kindle. I buy a lot more than I borrow.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote