Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #46
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
This is due to PDF files having very poor support for metadata. If the original PDF file does not have the author/title information (which many do not) it is not possible to extract them.

If you go to the Device view, you can edit the Title and Author fields manually. Once you do that, they will be remembered for as long as you have those books installed in GoodReader.

Thanks for the PayPal donation, I appreciate it.

G
Old 08-25-2013, 05:59 AM   #47
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Duplicated post.

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 08-25-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Advert
Old 08-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #48
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a question: which columns are allowed to be collections in Marvin? Only text columns? I have some columns which are based in other ones, although they are, at the end, text as tags, and they're not displayed for choosing them.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:29 AM   #49
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I have a question: which columns are allowed to be collections in Marvin? Only text columns? I have some columns which are based in other ones, although they are, at the end, text as tags, and they're not displayed for choosing them.
'Comma separated text, like tags, shown in the tag browser'.

There is a significant update to the Marvin driver that will be released when Marvin 2.0 is released, which makes collection management easier.

G
Old 08-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #50
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
'Comma separated text, like tags, shown in the tag browser'.

There is a significant update to the Marvin driver that will be released when Marvin 2.0 is released, which makes collection management easier.

G
Well, then we'll wait for the announcement. Thank you very much.
Advert
Old 08-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #51
hymie
Enthusiast
hymie began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
linux

Greetings.

Does the iOS reader plugin work with Linux?

I installed the plugin, and when I attach my iPad Mini to my computer, I get this error
Code:
usbmuxd_get_device_list: error opening socket!
repeatedly.

I google'd the error, and it refers to software called usbmuxd that I did not install, but I see that it came with calibre.

Anyway, before I go through the effort of serious troubleshooting, I thought I would ask if maybe the plugin just doesn't work under Linux.

Type of iDevice : iPad Mini, Wifi
Calibre Version : 1.0.0
Marvin Version : 1.8
Calibre Language Setting : English
Operating System : Linux 3.8.4
iTunes version : n/a
Installed Plugin Version : iOS Reader Applications (1.0.5)
Old 08-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #52
GRiker

@hymie: I test the plugin with Ubuntu (32 & 64-bit) during development, and there are several active linux users that I'm aware of.

Please try exiting calibre, unplug your iPad from your computer. Disconnect any other iDevices from your computer. Reconnect, restart calibre.

Unfortunately, I'm not a linux person, so my ability to troubleshoot ends here.

G
Old 08-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #53
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
usbmuxd is shipped with Calibre these days? Next Kovid will add the Linux kernel... :-(

Anyway, hymie, please install the usbmuxd that comes with your distro, then try again. Whatever is included with Calibre should be removed or at least not be used. Kovid has horrible ideas about how dependencies should be installed.

If that doesn't help, please show us the output of calibre-debug -g (started from a console, of course). (Put it in spoiler tags or whatever this forum uses to hide a lot of gibberish. :-) )

The error you're seeing is *normal*, btw, when Calibre starts without any iDevice attached.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #54
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Distros have horrible ideas about how they are capable of managing the dependencies for complex software. Linux distros have been trying, unsuccessfully, to take a packaging model that was developed decades ago when software was a lot simpler and disk space a lot more expensive and trying to jury rig it to keep working in an age when disk space is cheap and software dependencies are a combinatorial explosion.

There is only one person who is competent to decide what versions of which dependencies work with a particular piece of software, and that is the maintainer of that software, not a distro maintainer.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #55
Wyndham
Connoisseur
Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad Air 2 (iOS 9), iPhone 6 (iOS 9)
I have just spotted this connector and am currently playing around with it. I'm sure I will make lots of mistakes and mess things up, but the instructions on the Marvin web site are really clear so I don't think I can go too wrong - unless, as I have just done, when I didn't read your instructions properly and all the way through... oh well.

Thank you so very much. This is brilliant.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #56
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There is only one person who is competent to decide what versions of which dependencies work with a particular piece of software, and that is the maintainer of that software, not a distro maintainer.
What you're describing is an old concept, older than linux, and it's called makefile (or similar). And it was in place where software was really complex too. "Software was simpler before" is the same that "Old times were better".
Old 08-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #57
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
What you're describing is an old concept, older than linux, and it's called makefile (or similar). And it was in place where software was really complex too. "Software was simpler before" is the same that "Old times were better".
No, what I am describing is about as related to Makefiles as an amoeba to a human.

And software is more complex today, than it was ten years ago, when it was more complex than it was twenty years ago when it was more complex than it was fifty years before that, in fact, infinitely more complex since software didn't exist then.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #58
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
May I suggest to end this meta discussion here and just agree to disagree? We shouldn't pollute this thread and I'm sorry to have started it myself.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #59
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
May I suggest to end this meta discussion here and just agree to disagree? We shouldn't pollute this thread and I'm sorry to have started it myself.
Fine by me.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #60
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
Ok, sorry to disgress.
Closed Thread