Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
sheygetz
Connoisseur
sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.

Device: KPW G2 , 10" tablet
Kindle Touch vs Kobo Touch: Pros & Cons

(Hi guys, I've searched for threads covering this, but they all went up different alleys than I'm interested in, so ...)

I want to do ebook reading (duh!), a little leisurely browsing and the odd pdf (when on hols. e.g.) on the touch reader. (Yes, I know fully well that pdfs display less than ideal on e-ink.)

Formats:
As far as I understand, the Kobo is in theory open to both epub and mobi. In practice though mobi support is said to be basic to the point of being ridiculous. Any new firmware out to correct that? Any other experience?

I do use Calibre, but if I could have a reader which would spare me the conversion, I'd be all for it. (I just timed it: Calibre needs 47 secs to be up and running on my xp system )

PDF:
Contrary to Kobo, Kindle doesn't do landscape What were they thinking, I wonder?
Any new developments on that front, please?

Both have double tap for fitting columns/ page. Both have pinch2zoom. Right?

Browser
:
Again, Kobo does landscape, Kindle does not. Other than that I do not know of any differences. Any opionions/ experience on this?

Handling:
No Kobos available at shops, so I would have to order both, not too keen on that procedure. I am not aware of any differences, that go beyond matters of personal taste bar one:
You cannot send any read-me-later-documents to the Kobo but you can with the Kindle. Kobo support nodded to that and did not mention any changes in coming fw, too bad.

Both charge from their USB ports, no?
I've used a K4 for a while, and found the screen rather grey compared even to an oldish sort of paperback (same novel). Is the visual experience on the KTouch the same as on the K4? And is that in turn identical to the Kobo?
(I did compare K4 and Sony's latest at a store and found the Sony brighter, might've been the black bezel though.)

That is what I found out, if you're personal experience is different, or you have other additional pros or cons do let me know.

Also, I have not been able to find a review comparing these two. If you know of one, please point it out to me.

Thanks Hendrik

Last edited by sheygetz; 05-16-2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: grammar
sheygetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
You might take a look at this web site and here is a comparison table
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh sorry, duplicate post.

One more thing. I was running Calibre on my old XP for years (1 GB ram). Yes, very slow. I recently got a windows 7 dell desk top (4 GB ram) for @$250 from the Dell outlet site. Calibre is very fast now! It would be worth it for you to look into getting a new computer just for that.

Last edited by booklover6; 05-15-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Kindle does landscape now, it was a part of the recent system upgrade.

Format: Not that big of a deal. Kobo can read both but the Mobi support is reportadly bad. There are more stores that sell DRMed e-pub then DRMed Mobi. That said, Amazon's store has pretty much all of the books that you would find at all of the DRMed EPub stores. The long and the short of it is that format really doesn't matter. You can get the same books easily enough in both formats.

Cost might be a factor. I don't know where you live so it is hard to say. I know outside the US the Kobo is less expensive than the Kindle. Inside the US, they are priced the same.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Tintin
Enthusiast
Tintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
I bought a Kobo touch for £70 after researching both Kindle Touch and Kobo touch. What swayed me? Kobo was cheaper for a start and supported more formats but what I liked best was the ability to show all your book covers in your library whereas Kindle just lists them. Not that important to some but I just think it looks better. Oh, and I like the quilted back look of the Kobo too.
Tintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I like my Sony home screen, which shows book covers, too, the Kindle home screen, with just the list, is my least favorite.

edited to add: the Kindle has my least favorite of home screens, it's not my least favorite device.

Last edited by booklover6; 05-15-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I prefer not seeing the covers. To each their own.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
sheygetz
Connoisseur
sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.

Device: KPW G2 , 10" tablet
Re cost:
Kobo is about 25€ cheaper than Kindle, though as a percentage it is quite a lot, absolutely it wouldn't be a decisive factor.

More important to me: I have no idea whether Kobo will be around for 2 years to service this gadget. With Amazon not only am I pretty sure, I also hold their service in very hight esteem. That's def a plus for the Kindle in my book, err ... reader :-)

Landscape:
Does the new fw bring landscape only to pdf or to browsing, too?
sheygetz is offline   Reply With Quote