Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Trouble converting CBZ/CBR to epub for specific hardware (Literati)

So, I thought that the super-cheap ($20 after rebate) Literati would make a good comic book reader, but I'm having trouble with the conversion process. Calibre makes good epubs, and everything looks great on the desktop. BUT, the Literati has a bizarro aspect ratio (800x480), and scales the HEIGHT of the displayed images to fit the screen. Unfortunately, this means I lose part of the image on both the left and right (about 20 pixels worth, if my calculation is accurate, but it definitely chops off content).

Is there anything I can do in Calibre processing to get the images smaller? I thought that maybe I could pad the top or bottom of each epub page and force the reader to shrink the overall image size a little, but Calibre's "margin" output function/option is grayed out. Maybe some custom CSS?

My only other alternative would be to uncompress the comic archive, and either scale down or pad the margins of every image BEFORE it goes to Calibre, and that's not a very appealing prospect for one, let alone dozens or hundreds of books.

Any thoughts?
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In the next calibre release you will be able to specify an exact image size in the comic input options.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Wow, that is WAY too cool. Thanks!

Are you still at the same physical address you were in 2008, so I can send you some more money? I'm guessing not, since your profile says Albuquerque, and that address was Pasadena, CA. If you PM me again, I'll get some $$ in the mail to you.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote