Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

View Poll Results: Should Alex start a Jetbook Forum?
Yes, C'mon Alex!! 90 79.65%
No 14 12.39%
I'd like to follow the results 9 7.96%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2009, 04:49 AM   #76
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglefast View Post
i've been a lurker of this site for quite some time and have finally taken the plunge to register after purchasing a jetbook.

thanks to everyone for contributing so much info on it and it would have been easier if there was its own forum, however, using the advance search tool was not too difficult.

i do hope i enjoy it once it comes and that i do not regret choosing it over the sony prs 505 as my first reader (the guy with the 8 ebook readers had me gunning pretty hard for it).
Welcome to Mobileread, tanglefast! I purchased my first jetBook more than one year ago and I had a chance to compare it with Sony 505(tested it in Borders), Sony 700 (purchased it from Sony and returned back after one week testing) and Kindle(my friend has Kindle 1 but He has plans to sell it on eBay and purchase jetBook). I can say that I made the right choice and never regreted. I purchased second jetBook for my wife and she likes it a lot too.
jetBook has the unique reflective screen, real pocket size and folders support. This combination of features, cost and quality makes jetBook my favorite ebook reader. I hope you will like your unit too and it will be nice if you will share your first impressions with Mobileread forum members.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:23 PM   #77
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Absolutely!! There seems to be adequate interest, and why not?
Almost two month...but no jetBook forum yet . It looks like Alex VERY busy...
Old 08-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #78
mjnitz02
mjnitz02 began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
Just recently got a jetbook and love it. Would love to see a forum for these devices!
mjnitz02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #79
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Welcome to mobileread mjnitz02, I hope you enjoy your jetbook

It was announced a few days ago that a jetbook (and astak) board will be created soon

First post in the lounge, poor guy/gal he/she will never know what hit him/her (running gag in the lounge, dont read too much into it mjnitz02 )
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #80
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjnitz02 View Post
Just recently got a jetbook and love it. Would love to see a forum for these devices!
mjnitz02, my congratulations! You did the right choice.
We will have jetBook forum soon. What is the color of your jetBook?

Last edited by Kris777; 08-13-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:39 PM   #81
mjnitz02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
mjnitz02, my congratulations! You did the right choice.
We will have jetBook forum soon. What is the color of your jetBook?
I just went with a black one as newegg only offered black and white on their site. Was a little worried at first when I chose it over the various E-ink models, but I have to say that its just as easy to read as a paperback and not having the page turn screen flashes is a plus for me!

Was also real excited to hear that the Sony E-book store is going to the Epub format by the end of the year. That has alleviated any of my fears of getting new content for the reader! I have a feeling the jetbook is going to easily stay one of my more used gadgets
Old 08-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #82
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
I have a feeling the jetbook is going to easily stay one of my more used gadgets
yes, I have my jetBook with me all the time
Old 08-14-2009, 11:47 PM   #83
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Was also real excited to hear that the Sony E-book store is going to the Epub format by the end of the year. That has alleviated any of my fears of getting new content for the reader! I have a feeling the jetbook is going to easily stay one of my more used gadgets
You will need some method of stripping the DRM from the books you get from Sony. The jetBook doesn't support any type of DRM or encryption. IMHO, that is the main drawback of the jetBook.

I have the knowledge and technology to strip the DRM, so for my purposes the jetBook is most excellent, but I would not expect the average bloke who just wants to read a book to be able to.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #84
mjnitz02

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
You will need some method of stripping the DRM from the books you get from Sony. The jetBook doesn't support any type of DRM or encryption. IMHO, that is the main drawback of the jetBook.

I have the knowledge and technology to strip the DRM, so for my purposes the jetBook is most excellent, but I would not expect the average bloke who just wants to read a book to be able to.
Yea the DRM isn't really an issue for me either, but its also pretty plausible that with the format additions and modifications that jetbook has been updating in their firmware that native DRM-Epub support could find its way to the device. Jetbook wouldn't surprise me if they released a firmware for that.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #85
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I'm new to all this, and I just read about the Jetbook for the first time yesterday.

At $169, why don't more people own one?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #86
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
I think the main reasons are 1) not e-ink and 2) lack of DRM.

In my opinion:
1) This LCD technology is very comparable to e-ink screens. Some people like it better, and it is NOT like your computer's LCD screen as far as glare, etc.
2) I've lost books to DRM already and plan (like many here) to strip DRM from every book I purchase before using it.

But I know there are at least a few dozen users on this forum who use the jetBook. It doesn't have the marketing presence of Sony or Amazon, but it's a good device. Next week we get our own subforum!
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #87
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I'm new to all this, and I just read about the Jetbook for the first time yesterday.

At $169, why don't more people own one?
I have two jetBooks . I purchased Black one for myself more than one year ago and White jetBook for my wife on NEWEGG webaite several months ago. . I REALLY like jetBook screen more than e-ink screen.
I didn't find any information about SDHC cards support in the manual and on NewEgg website but new firmware supports up to 32GB SDHC cards.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #88
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I don't know what the sales figures are for the jetBook, but I suspect that they may be much more than you would think, based solely on the number of MR members that have one. The company is Russian and may have sold many more units at home than internationally. The old firmware only supported TXT, RTF and FB2. Since FB2 is very popular in Russia, they seem to have initially targetted the home market.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #89
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
What all three of you say makes a lot of sense, particularly focusing initially on the home market. After all, that's what Amazon is doing.

I gather that just in the past couple of months the new firmware has put the jetBook back in the game.

Somewhere here in the past 24 hours I saw someone's post that said that after becoming used to the jetBook, the eInk screen seems a little "blurry".

Kris, evidently you don't find the jetBook's darker background a problem. I wish I had the opportunity to hold both types of screens in my hands and compare.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:30 PM   #90
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Kris, evidently you don't find the jetBook's darker background a problem. I wish I had the opportunity to hold both types of screens in my hands and compare.

I've heard it has a better contrast ratio, better suited for low-light reading? Can anyone who's tried both (jetBook and e-ink) confirm?

BTW, any jetBook users know if you can change it to 2-level grayscale to save power? Just curious, as I figured out that you can change the contrast settings. Seemed like an interesting idea...
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote