Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-505
No Number Pad on K3

This is my main gripe with the new K3. Who, oh why, did they decide not to put numbers on the keyboard? There clearly seems to be room. It is just so annoying to have to go to the "symbol" panel to select each number.

This is my first Kindle. Has it always been this way?
Drezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I don't find it 'annoying" at all....actually I find it way easier than the original K1 and love the smaller keyboard section.

Way worth it.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
You can enter numbers by pressing alt + the top row of letters, much easier than going through the SYM menu.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
You can enter numbers by pressing alt + the top row of letters, much easier than going through the SYM menu.
I enter numbers by pressing the SYM key.
Select as many numbers as you like from the bottom row, then press SYM again to put them away
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Yes I did like the number keys on my Kindle 2 - just made typing (and passwords) quicker.

But it is easy to press ALT + one of the top keys to form a number - note that Q = 1 while 0 (zero) is at the end of the line and accessed via the letter P. Also note that you don't need to hold the ALT plus letter at the same time - just press ALT and then press a letter as the ALT button is what's known as a "sticky" button - not literally!
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
... as is clearly stated in section 7.3 "Kindle Shortcuts" of the User Guide.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
Drezin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
... as is clearly stated in section 7.3 "Kindle Shortcuts" of the User Guide.
Well, excuuuuuuuse me.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
Yes I did like the number keys on my Kindle 2 - just made typing (and passwords) quicker.

But it is easy to press ALT + one of the top keys to form a number - note that Q = 1 while 0 (zero) is at the end of the line and accessed via the letter P. Also note that you don't need to hold the ALT plus letter at the same time - just press ALT and then press a letter as the ALT button is what's known as a "sticky" button - not literally!
but if you want to key in several numbers, you have to keep pressing ALT.
Using SYM key once gives opportunity to enter several.
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
Drezin
Connoisseur

I actually have, just missed that part, lol.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #11
vega07
Enthusiast
vega07 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
I think using alt + is ridiculous without having the the numbers printed on the keys. How am I supposed to remember that U is 7!?!?!

I use numbers all the time and I think it was a mistake for Amazon to remove the num keys.
vega07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #12
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega07 View Post
I think using alt + is ridiculous without having the the numbers printed on the keys. How am I supposed to remember that U is 7!?!?!

I use numbers all the time and I think it was a mistake for Amazon to remove the num keys.
Yup I kind of agree - I did like the number buttons on my K2.

I still think Amazon should design a Kindle with a slide out keyboard - this would make a smaller Kindle, hide the keyboard away for those who hardly ever use it but give a full keyboard for those who do use it.

And no I don't want a touch screen keyboard thanks - personally I don't enjoy typing on them. I want a keyboard I can actually feel.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I'm getting used to it. Sure, it's not as easy as the numbers on the keyboard on the K2, but if it really bothered me, I'd go back to using my K2. But I continue using K3. Tradeoff for having newer, lighter, smaller reader.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Note that the ALT key is 'sticky' - so instead of ALT+Q you can press ALT, then Q (if you do it within a second or so). So you can type numbers with one finger.

Shift key is also sticky for entering upper case.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #15
Coleccionista
Connoisseur
Coleccionista began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
I for once miss that "International Kindle" is still only available in English. So 1980!
I also miss moving through a list or menu, hitting top/bottom and the up/down key does not move me to the last/first item. First-Last items are not linked. So 1990!
Then I could rant about how many steps you have to take to change dictionaries if you have books in several languages, why is not present a menu shortcut?

I love everything else . So far it looks like an excellent buy
Coleccionista is offline   Reply With Quote