Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
penguin v google

... yes, it can get even more ridiculous.

was browsing the web and scowling at publishers who apply geographic restrictions and came across this

http://us.penguingroup.com/static/pa...ettlement.html

i hadn't been aware of the battle between google (books i guess) and penguin (and penguin authors) beforehand but i have been aware for quite some time how.. ugh... don't want to say narrow-minded but hey if the shoe fits... penguin are. so they're actually demanded money from google (or encouraged their authors to) for displaying books penguin feel they have control over.

now i just have to say, penguin (and their authors) never fails to show that they have little or no vision when it comes to books and the internet.

need i mention that, as far as i know, google don't sell the books themselves, but provided links to online stores that did. nor can you download the content you;re browsing with google books.

so basically penguin are planning to tax google for helping sell those books under penguin's control. (book stores and libraries be afraid, be very afraid)

i'm not that savvy when it comes to the convoluted copyright laws so maybe i'm missing the bigger picture... but then again...
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm really not familiar with the situation, but if Google were displaying the entire book for reading... then yeah, I could understand Penguin's position. Not sure if this was the case though.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Google Book search only displays part of the book for previewing and give s alink to a store to purchase it.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:09 AM   #4
GinoXB
Connoisseur
GinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura about

Device: Aluratek Libre
Penguin makes Google tap out in the first round via triangle choke hold!

Seriously though, if Penguin has the rights to these particular books and didn't give consent to preview them they possibly could force Google's hand to remove them.
GinoXB is offline   Reply With Quote