Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-23-2011, 07:12 AM   #211
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Maybe the metadata.db in the Install folder is corrupt? Can you delete it?
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #212
friflaj
friflaj began at the beginning.

Device: Irex 1000S
There's no metadata.db in that folder.

Which version of the patch is currently the best to install BTW? I was previously trying to install p1, but I just now browsed the entire thread, and I see you're up to 12 already.
friflaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #213
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by friflaj View Post
There's no metadata.db in that folder.
OK that is possible, strange that the firmware crashes when you enter the folder.

Quote:
Which version of the patch is currently the best to install BTW? I was previously trying to install p1, but I just now browsed the entire thread, and I see you're up to 12 already.
12 is indeed the last one, maybe I should update the first message.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #214
friflaj
friflaj began at the beginning.

Device: Irex 1000S
Can I clean up the tags in use? I see I can only have 15 tags active, I had more (through direct manipulation of global.db) but even after clean that up I still see the old tags in the dropdown when I create a new filter, and none of the new ones.
friflaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #215
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Can I clean up the tags in use? I see I can only have 15 tags active, I had more (through direct manipulation of global.db) but even after clean that up I still see the old tags in the dropdown when I create a new filter, and none of the new ones.
/System/dr.ini contains an 'active' list of tags, that is used by the software. Removing tags from that list should help. This is still an issue on my todo list on how to handle more tags ...
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #216
Mackx
Guru

I have created a new version of dr1000-hackx that contains the changes that Iņigo made for storing the thumbnails in files i.s.o. global.db. (It also allows 40 tags in the properties-dialog and some more improvements.) However I am a little 'afraid' to post it here. This is again a big change w.r.t. the previous version and due to my new job I have much less time to spend on supporting problems with the version. Furthermore I choose for a different implementation of the thumbnail-patch and I did not have time to measure if my version also has the same performance advantages as Iņigos version. Last there is the problem with the installer, I am replacing libraries while they are used, which sometimes leads to a crash during install.
At the other side, I believe that until now everybody was able to 'revive' its dr1000 by installing the original software on it, so only time (and maybe some annotations?) get lost when the software behaves bad.

So what should I do, please give me some advice to help me in my decision?

(Note that all code is already available in BitBucket.)
Old 10-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #217
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
I have created a new version of dr1000-hackx that contains the changes that Iņigo made for storing the thumbnails in files i.s.o. global.db. (It also allows 40 tags in the properties-dialog and some more improvements.) However I am a little 'afraid' to post it here. This is again a big change w.r.t. the previous version and due to my new job I have much less time to spend on supporting problems with the version. Furthermore I choose for a different implementation of the thumbnail-patch and I did not have time to measure if my version also has the same performance advantages as Iņigos version. Last there is the problem with the installer, I am replacing libraries while they are used, which sometimes leads to a crash during install.
At the other side, I believe that until now everybody was able to 'revive' its dr1000 by installing the original software on it, so only time (and maybe some annotations?) get lost when the software behaves bad.

So what should I do, please give me some advice to help me in my decision?

(Note that all code is already available in BitBucket.)
Sometimes I feel the same mood.

I usually spend lot of time testing, documenting and preparing the installer. Time that I would prefer to spend coding... or reading (!).

We are only a few number of guys and this forum is not the most popular site in internet, even for "normal" DR owners.

What I'd do is to leave some time between releases, so you'll have some time to test the new features on your own device days/weeks before the release.

Anyway, IREX said that is not possible to harm the device with wrong software (ok, unless playing dirty with screen refreshes), so if a new version got someone's DR unusable, he/she could restore IREX official firmware.

Test on your DR (and emu) while your usual reading on the DR, make release, and get feedback to fix, revert or expand features. But do what you like to do.

Keep the good work and the illusion,
Iņigo

Last edited by Iņigo; 10-05-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #218
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
Either wait till you feel it's mature enough or release it as an alpha or beta release, so it's clear it's not a regular release. Don't feel obligated to give immediate support if you don't have the time for it. At least that's how I feel about it.
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #219
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
I would make it available here, you have given all the necessary warnings, people are grown up and can decide for themselves if they want to risk it or not, I certainly would try it out and test it.

Last edited by fekhner; 10-09-2011 at 12:11 PM.
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #220
Mackx
Guru

Release 0.13

NOTE: THE BINARIES ARE ONLY FOR DR1000 with the latest R2.0beta firmware!!!

Thanks Iņigo, Roderick and Glenn for your comments.
This version aligns the dr1000 version with the dr800+ thumbnail patch from Iņigo. During installation all thumbnails are removed from global.db and copied to /System/.covers to limit the size of the global.db file. This might take some time if you have a lot of documents. The script (borrowed from dr800+ installation) makes a copy of your existing global.db file, but if you want to be sure, make an extra copy yourself. See also the remarks and warnings in the dr800+ thread.

This version adds (see also \Programs\_mackxpatch\readme.txt):
- Apply patch from Iņigo to store thumbnails in filesystem (modified behaviour)
- Allow .drinfo files to set initial values (title, author, tag, thumbnail) for new documents. (See _mackxpatch\examples.)
- Add Document-Info-Dialog with information stored in global.db
- Use icon for Recently Used from dr800+
- add logging to mdbindex from dr800+ (controllable in settings).
- Add JIT view ('Raw Card') to show direct information from the SD-card, by-passing global.db.
- Fix: pressreader makes popupmenu crash
- Add new settings dialog to configure indexing (enable logging, disable indexing and threshold indexing)
- Integrated Russian letterbar patch from yuri_b (Needs restart to show after selecting language)

OPEN ISSUES:
- I did not yet update the documentation ...

So, my standard disclaimer: This is also a big hack, only very limited tested by me and less mature then 'normal', so my advise is to use it on the QEMU first. (Only the dare-devils should install it on their DR1000. :-)
I advise new DR users to first play a few month with the original firmware before switching to this patched version.

The new features are getting more complicated and my explanation skills are not that good, so feel free to ask questions here (after reading the UserManual ).

In the Bitbucket-repository: https://bitbucket.org/mackx/dr1000-hackx/overview the source code can be found.

Any comments or improvements appreciated.

Marcel.

(The patch also includes the changes from all previous patches. See _mackxpatch/Help/MackxPatch User Manual.pdf for installation instructions)
Attached Files
File Type: zip MackxPatch-dr1000-p13.zip (1.23 MB, 449 views)
Old 10-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #221
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Congratulations for the new release.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #222
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Thanks, just started using it !
Old 10-10-2011, 02:04 AM   #223
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
Congratulations for the new release.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fekhner View Post
Thanks, just started using it !
How did the installation go, specially the transfer from thumbnails from global.db to System/.covers ?
Old 10-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #224
fekhner
Addict

The installation went smoothly, System/.covers has been created and it contains thumbnails. There seem to be a couple of problems though: not all the previously existing thumbnails are working (I do not really care about that so much since the new thumbnails when opening a document seem to be working correctly) and somehow the djvu plugin seems to broken, which would be a real problem for me, will now try to re-install it and play a bit more ....

Cheers!
Old 10-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #225
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Thanks.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote