Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
wijnands
wijnands began at the beginning.

Device: nokia 5800, Ipaq
character set troubles

If I post a very obvious question please excuse me, I am rather new to a lot of file formats, been on lit on an ipaq for some time.

I downloaded a book which turned out to be a lot of loose files in a OEBPS folder. Using mobireader I converted this to prc, still thinking that mobireader was a good app for my nokia 5800.

After a lot of messing around with the app on my nokia I gave up and found zxreader. Using Calibre I converted the prc to .fb2. Somehow that ended up in the cp866 character set which messed up the book into something unreadable.

Thinking that something was wrong I grabbed an old .lit file and converted that which went fine.

So... can I fix this? What's the best way to handle a OEBPS folder structure anyway?
wijnands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
Firepong
Firepong began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Pandigital Novel, Kindle DX
WoW, I just looked this up and I don't see how it was ever a eBook standard. I saw so much problems in just reading it compared to the new standard, ePub
Firepong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
just zip it up and add it to calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
wijnands
wijnands began at the beginning.

Device: nokia 5800, Ipaq
And that works, my compliments for that!

In the preview I can't see anything strange, in the debug mode I can't find anything strange and yet the fb2 output causes problems.

I decided to circumvent the issue and simply converted to .txt.

There is an issue here, just I don't know if it's in calibre's fb2 out or, more likely, in vxreader. Unfortunately the latter's website is in russian.
wijnands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:56 AM   #5
rbruce1314
Groupie
rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Xgody tablet, LG G3 (Android), moon+reader
I too have problems getting correct character output on zxreader on 5800. It looks perfect on Calibre but despite selecting UTF8 as specified the problems remain.
rbruce1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Since fb2 is a simple text file, you can open it up with a txt editor to verify taht the encoding is correct. If it is correct, then calibre has created a correct fb2 file and the bug is in the reader, which you will have to take up with the reader's creators.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote