Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-28-2009, 01:39 AM   #1
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Who sells what to whom???

Let me start by saying that I am in the US. Illinois, to be exact. It has been recommended to me that I look at the BeBook. I did, fell in love, now want it. However....
It has also come to my attention that the site selling BeBook is not a US site. The same device is called an EZ Reader by Astak and is sold through a couple of retailers online that I found, but all the sites I've found that sell the EZ Reader are just plain horrible. They don't list the formats supported, or they have no way to order the device, or the site is just down with no explanation. All three sites I found say "colors are available" but they aren't.
The Astak site itself throws me a page error on the page for the EZ Reader. This is frustrating enough to send me right back to BeBook's site, but can I order from them if I'm in the US? It does give the price in US Dollars so I'm assuming that would be an indication that I can; but what am I going to run into with customs fees, etc.? Has anyone here from the US ordered a BeBook and can tell me what your experience was like, please?

When I found this site two days ago (wow was it really only that long? I feel like I've been here for years), I was waffling between a Kindle and an ESlick. Now that I discovered there are devices that read all the formats I already have without making me convert everything, I'm re-thinking everything.
I'm even contemplating ordering a second device (which would probably be a Kindle) sometime in the future.

to all of you here for putting up with my ramblings and endless questions. You all have seemingly endless patience and tact, and I'm very grateful. Plus, you're all as crazy as I am. Who could ask for more?

Shel
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:46 AM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
wait 2 weeks for the Amazon Announcement and if its the new kindle Jump on it. trust me, amazons tech support is the best, and you want good tech support on your first Eink Device.

dont worry so much about converting, It only takes 3 seconds for a stupid recode, and 5-15 minutes to get some nice formatting in. considering it takes hours to read a book, converting is nothing. Its not like video which takes hours to convert for fractional enjoyment.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2009, 02:06 AM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
wait 2 weeks for the Amazon Announcement and if its the new kindle Jump on it. trust me, amazons tech support is the best, and you want good tech support on your first Eink Device.

dont worry so much about converting, It only takes 3 seconds for a stupid recode, and 5-15 minutes to get some nice formatting in. considering it takes hours to read a book, converting is nothing. Its not like video which takes hours to convert for fractional enjoyment.
Thanks, Andy. I have to wait two weeks anyway before I have the money to order anything, and I'm as interested in Amazon's announcement as everyone else around here. However, I'd pretty much ruled out the Kindle as my first E-ink device due to the conversion conundrum. I don't know what a "stupid recode" is, nor do I have any clue how to reformat once it's converted. I've tried reading the threads here about Mobipocket and Book Creator and to be honest, I'm getting more confused than enlightened. That may have something to do with the cold I'm fighting, however, as I'm usually pretty quick with that kind of thing.

Shel
Old 01-28-2009, 02:38 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I had no trouble buying from http://www.mobiebook.com/buyezreader.asp a month or so ago (click on add to cart). So far as I know this is still only available in black. It is a standard Hanlin V3 with the standard Hanlin V3 firmware, see EZ Reader: Initial Impression. I think BeBook also uses essentially standard firmware. The firmware is interchangeable between the two.

You can buy a BeBook from the US, and it is currently a bit cheaper than the EZ Reader. You would have to return it to Europe if it breaks though.

I think the Hanlin V3 is the best 6" EInk reader out there currently, but all the major devices are "good enough" and none is even close to perfect. The Hanlin supports the most DRM-free formats, but you may end up converting to a single format anyway because FB2 is supported best and MOBI is also ok (and DRMed MOBI is supported). Calibre can convert just about anything to MOBI or LRF/ePub (for the Sony's), and you can try this on your PC today. For conversion to FB2 you can use Book Designer (Windows only), but it has a steeper learning curve that Calibre.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:49 AM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I had no trouble buying from http://www.mobiebook.com/buyezreader.asp a month or so ago (click on add to cart). So far as I know this is still only available in black. It is a standard Hanlin V3 with the standard Hanlin V3 firmware, see EZ Reader: Initial Impression. I think BeBook also uses essentially standard firmware. The firmware is interchangeable between the two.

You can buy a BeBook from the US, and it is currently a bit cheaper than the EZ Reader. You would have to return it to Europe if it breaks though.

I think the Hanlin V3 is the best 6" EInk reader out there currently, but all the major devices are "good enough" and none is even close to perfect. The Hanlin supports the most DRM-free formats, but you may end up converting to a single format anyway because FB2 is supported best and MOBI is also ok (and DRMed MOBI is supported). Calibre can convert just about anything to MOBI or LRF/ePub (for the Sony's), and you can try this on your PC today. For conversion to FB2 you can use Book Designer (Windows only), but it has a steeper learning curve that Calibre.
And that is precisely what I am looking for, Wallcraft...the support of the most DRM free formats plus DRM'd mobi support. I will recheck that link for EZ Reader, when I was at the site yesterday it was broken. Thanks!

Shel
Advert
Old 01-28-2009, 04:24 AM   #6
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Thanks, Andy. I have to wait two weeks anyway before I have the money to order anything, and I'm as interested in Amazon's announcement as everyone else around here. However, I'd pretty much ruled out the Kindle as my first E-ink device due to the conversion conundrum. I don't know what a "stupid recode" is, nor do I have any clue how to reformat once it's converted. I've tried reading the threads here about Mobipocket and Book Creator and to be honest, I'm getting more confused than enlightened. That may have something to do with the cold I'm fighting, however, as I'm usually pretty quick with that kind of thing.

Shel
stupid recode=press one button. its in a different format
or
using a program to convert from one format to another. basically opening the file, and saving it in another format.

the Kindle Supports tons of formats including TXT. there is no conversion conundrum. for the kindle you can just Email the book to your kindle and if it needs to be converted it will happen automatically (it costs a Nickel, or you can email it to yourself and do it for free then you USB it on)

Look at the Guide in my Sig to get a feel for formatting books. its not perfect for PRC books(mobi), but its good enough I think.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote