Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
awj
awj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Which port will Calibre connect to a network share?

I have a Linux-based NAS which has a share called epub. I keep all my ebooks on this share.

I have Calibre installed on a few machines (home PC, laptop and office PC) and was able to access this share by creating a Calibre library at

\\mydomain.no-ip.org\epub\

However, I recently realised that my router's firewall was wide open and took action to block all ports. I now need to find out on which port Calibre was connecting to this share.

I've tried the following:
137-140 (NetBIOS)

None of the above allow me access.

Does anyone know which port I need to open on my router?
awj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by awj View Post
I have a Linux-based NAS which has a share called epub. I keep all my ebooks on this share.

I have Calibre installed on a few machines (home PC, laptop and office PC) and was able to access this share by creating a Calibre library at

\\mydomain.no-ip.org\epub\

However, I recently realised that my router's firewall was wide open and took action to block all ports. I now need to find out on which port Calibre was connecting to this share.

I've tried the following:
137-140 (NetBIOS)

None of the above allow me access.

Does anyone know which port I need to open on my router?
Look at your setting in 'Sharing over the Net'
8080 was the default
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2013, 03:02 AM   #3
awj
awj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Actually, port 8080 is, I believe, if you're using Calibre as the server. Like I said in my OP, I'm using a Linux share as the destination, so in this case port 8080 doesn't come into it.

I got this working after I realised that I hadn't set up port forwarding on my router. Specifically, it was ports 139-140 that I had to statically point towards my NAS (make sure that your share is password-protected if you're going to do this).
awj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by awj View Post
Actually, port 8080 is, I believe, if you're using Calibre as the server. Like I said in my OP, I'm using a Linux share as the destination, so in this case port 8080 doesn't come into it.

I got this working after I realised that I hadn't set up port forwarding on my router. Specifically, it was ports 139-140 that I had to statically point towards my NAS (make sure that your share is password-protected if you're going to do this).
"Routers Firewall wide open" raised my eyebrows. Every router I have owned , defaults to INCOMING ports closed (and obviously : no ports forwarded )

I did not catch that this was a from WAN access problem

I can't recommend running Calibre.exe over the net. Calibre uses a series of transactions (that are not Net aware) to manage books. One tiny burp...
The Content server (if running on the NAS) is safe , it is Read only.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
network share port