Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-01-2012, 05:15 AM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
did you want pearl? Now you have it, and with touch!

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...EmM96bxFdjMGZQ

EDIT: apparently available in teh Ukraine from teh end of March, see here:
http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...26prmd%3Dimvns

Last edited by paola; 03-01-2012 at 05:22 AM.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Good news, but I'm going to wait for color. I'm surprised that it's only 166 dpi.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Great news.

I am trying hard not to get excited.

I remember very well how long we had to wait for PB360+ here in Europe.

I wonder, does it have page-turning buttons on the side of the device?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I wonder, does it have page-turning buttons on the side of the device?
Looks like at the bottom only.
In fact it looks a lot like the A7/A10 so that's the new PB design language, apparently. In fact, given the button layout, I'm wondering if its Android driven. Probably not, but it has a home and a menu button, with the paging buttons in the middle.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hopefully more news will trickle out - at least now we know it should be called 622. I am very excited about it, but one question I have for you techies is: with the "finger touch" capability, can one still write on the device? For there does not seem to be a stylus/pen there to take free hand notes. Also, I wonder wether they are only waiting a bit longer for the 9.7" version, or whether they'll skip it altogether.

The 622 is also announced on the German pocketbook site, so hopefully it will get to Western Europe reasonably soon, who knows, see here:
http://www.pocketbook-int.com/de/news
Advert
Old 03-02-2012, 01:27 AM   #6
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
hopefully more news will trickle out - at least now we know it should be called 622. I am very excited about it, but one question I have for you techies is: with the "finger touch" capability, can one still write on the device? For there does not seem to be a stylus/pen there to take free hand notes. Also, I wonder wether they are only waiting a bit longer for the 9.7" version, or whether they'll skip it altogether.
Forkosigan announces 622 for the end of march at a price between 130 and 170 Euros and also has a small vid attached.
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #7
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
Looks pretty but it may not be a good choice for people who read a lot in landscape mode. The smaller margin and the more buttons on the bottom side make it hard to hold for a long time in landscape mode. And it is not cheaper. I will stick to my 602, which still has 10 months' warranty.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:07 AM   #8
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
Forkosigan announces 622 for the end of march at a price between 130 and 170 Euros and also has a small vid attached.
thanks Troll, I'll put the video here, as it answers partly my qeustion, i.e. you can highlight and "write" with your finger - wonder whether there is some kind of pen that would also do the trick?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1iQ17Nz8ZQ

The highlighting/notetaking seems pretty fast (faster than on my pro): I'd definitely consider it very very carefully if they had a 9.7" version, and my partner might be happy with this model.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, if it's normal capacity touch there are lots of pens avaible on ebay or amazon, and with an optical touch like Sony or Kobo everything will suffice as a pen.
What I'm wondering is how PB solved the contrast problem if it's really "capacitive", because it needs an extra layer of glass.
I tried the Bokeen Odyssey with cap. screen some month ago and the pearl screen came out worse than normal vizplex, nearly as bad as sipix
Old 03-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Good news, but I'm going to wait for color. I'm surprised that it's only 166 dpi.
All 6" Pearl screens are 166dpi. PB can only use those screens that exist. It will be exactly the same screen that the Kindle, nook, Kobo, Sony, etc, use.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All 6" Pearl screens are 166dpi. PB can only use those screens that exist. It will be exactly the same screen that the Kindle, nook, Kobo, Sony, etc, use.
What does the iRIVER HD reader use? Its screen seems as contrasty as Pearl... but maybe that is just perception.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
troll05
Harmless idiot

IRiver uses a 1024x768 display made by LG Electronics. HarryT refers to Pearl screens by Vizplex.
What I'd like to know is why nobody except IRiver uses this apparently superior display
Price,
availability,
problems,
proprietary rights?
Old 03-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
IRiver uses a 1024x768 display made by LG Electronics. HarryT refers to Pearl screens by Vizplex.
What I'd like to know is why nobody except IRiver uses this apparently superior display
Price,
availability,
problems,
proprietary rights?
Ah, thanks, I didn't realize that it was not made by the same company.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Price,
availability,
problems,
proprietary rights?
Probably yields.
Which means both higher per-screen costs and lower production volume.
They can't manufacture enough screens to meet the needs of a Kindle/B&N type of high volume vendor.
And since the bulk of the business is about narrative text ebooks there isn't much difference between a SVGA screen and an XGA one and what there is doesn't seem to justify much of a premium.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
troll05
Harmless idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Probably yields.
Which means both higher per-screen costs and lower production volume.
They can't manufacture enough screens to meet the needs of a Kindle/B&N type of high volume vendor.
And since the bulk of the business is about narrative text ebooks there isn't much difference between a SVGA screen and an XGA one and what there is doesn't seem to justify much of a premium.
Sounds reasoable, but I can't imagine LG not jumping on an already running train and making big money