Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 11:07 PM   #16
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Michael Kurland has a written a series of novels with Professor Moriarty as the central character, and Holmes as a bit of a pest. The series starts with "The Infernal Device".

You might also like Randall Garrett's Lord Darcy stories; which features a Holmes-like aristocrat detective in an alternative history which magic = technology; darcy's aide is a forensic sorcerer. You can get a very inexpensive Darcy omnibus (DRM-free in multiple formats) for $4.00 at
http://www.webscription.net/s-48-randall-garrett.aspx
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #17
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
You might also like Randall Garrett's Lord Darcy stories; which features a Holmes-like aristocrat detective in an alternative history which magic = technology; darcy's aide is a forensic sorcerer. You can get a very inexpensive Darcy omnibus (DRM-free in multiple formats) for $4.00 at
http://www.webscription.net/s-48-randall-garrett.aspx
Thanks for the heads up on these; I'd seen them recommended before, but not in a Holmesian context. Picked it up last night and am greatly enjoying them.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #18
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Michael Kurland has also written a couple of books set in the Lord Darcy universe. They're not bad; available here at a good price

http://search.diesel-ebooks.com/author/Kurland, Michael/results/1.html
Old 12-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #19
bfisher
Wizard

A nice anthology of Holmes pastiches here:

http://www.webscription.net/p-1174-t...ck-holmes.aspx
Old 12-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #20
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
If you have any interest in fan interpretations, AO3 has over 5,000 Sherlock stories, some of which are related to the literature, some to the recent movie, and some to the recent BBC tv series. (Only 1000 will show at a time, but searching for subcategories--like, genfic only to avoid the Holmes/Watson romantic stories--will reset the search.)

Gen (no romantic pairings); sorted by word count; over 1000 stories, downloadable in several ebook formats.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 07:01 AM   #21
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I just finished Anthony Horowitz's new book The House of Silk, which was allegedly condoned by the Doyle estate. It was not the best pastiche I've ever read, and I had figured out the conclusion to the mystery before Holmes did, which should NEVER happen. It was atmospheric though, and not bad for what it was. But I would certainly recommend waiting until it goes on sale to purchase it.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #22
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The Final Solution by Michael Chabon and A Slight Trick of Mind by Mitch Cullin are both on my to-read list and feature an elderly Holmes in the 1930s and 1940s, though Chabon's book just calls him "the old man" and doesn't explicitly say he's Sherlock Holmes.

The Adventures of the Peerless Peer by Philip Jose Farmer also features Holmes and Watson (and Lord Greystoke!) but Holmes is more like a Farmer character than anything written by Doyle. It's part of Farmer's Wold Newton universe where all of the famous pulp and literary heroes are part of the same family tree. I didn't really care for the book
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #23
Billsuits1
Connoisseur
Billsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
Cool

I own the [regular] book " The Exploits of Sherlock Holmes." It was written by Arthur's son Adrian Conan Doyle and John Dickson Carr. You can find more here. You can not get it as an ebook as far as I know. It is okay reading.

I am greatly interested in The House of Silk and will be reading it once I can get a copy from my library. I hope that it can live up to my modest expectations. I tend to have low expectations of the pastiche's as I hold everything up to "The Sign of Four," which is probably the best novel I have read. It is Holmes at his best in my opinion.

I read The Italian Secretary many years ago and it left no opinion or memory that I can recall, so I can't recommend it.
Billsuits1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #24
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
The sherlockian
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #25
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Larry Millett has written a handful of Holmes novels:

http://www.larrymillett.com/books/
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #26
Billsuits1
Connoisseur
Billsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the rough

I finished House of Silk and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was very well written except for a couple of issues with geography as I live in metro-Boston. Somerville and Charlestown are north of Boston, not south. And the South End of Boston is not on the Charles River. But other than that it had all I wished in a Sherlock Holmes story.

I found it quick moving and I did not guess the answer, though I had suspicions.

I give it 3 of 4 stars.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #27
Billsuits1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArnold View Post
Larry Millett has written a handful of Holmes novels:

http://www.larrymillett.com/books/
I've read Sherlock Holmes and the Ice Palace Murders and The Disappearance of Sherlock Holmes by Millett. These novels focus on Sherlock coming to the USA and feature a private detective named Shadwell Rafferty.

They are okay. A little off the beaten path for me.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #28
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I dunno if anyone has mentioned it yet, but Mark Twain wrote a Sherlock Holmes story called "A Double-Barrelled Detective Story" which is easy to find as a free ePub. It concerns Holmes coming to the American southwest, but it is not kind to Holmes as a character.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #29
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
I like the Young Sherlock Holmes series by Andrew Lane. It's quite a nice portrayal of Holmes as a teenager and written for young adults. They are very action packed but in the quieter moments they give some thoughtful insight into how Holmes becomes the man eventually turns out to be.

Last edited by greencat; 12-09-2011 at 08:45 AM.
greencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #30
Billsuits1
Connoisseur

Post coming soon...a new Sherlock Holmes novel for Jan 2012

The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Web Weaver
by Sam Siciliano

Available January 10, 2012 at Amazon.com in Kindle and paperback formats.

Synopsis:

When a mysterious gypsy places a cruel curse on the guests at a ball and a series of terrible misfortunes begin to affect those who attended that night, Mr. Donald Wheelwight engages Sherlock Holmes to find out what really happened that fateful evening.

With the help of his cousin Dr. Henry Vernier and his wife Michelle, Holmes endeavors to save Wheelwright and his beautiful wife Violet from the devastating curse.

A brand new, never before published addition to the Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes series. From Titan Books.