Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-11-2010, 03:16 AM   #1
fragile
Connoisseur
fragile began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900
PB 603 in US?

Does anyone know when the 603 will be available in the US?
I'd also like to know if the 302 also has support for dictionaries, text to speech and browser?

Thanks.
fragile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
603 might be in the US by March.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
fragile
Connoisseur

Thanks for the reply.
Does anyone know if the 302 also have a browser for internet and text to speech?
Old 12-12-2010, 06:45 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile View Post
I'd also like to know if the 302 also has support for dictionaries, text to speech and browser?
Dictionaries yes
browser yes(*)
USB host yes (you can connect USB memory stick to reader)
Text To Speech NO.
It can play an mp3 with an audoiobook but it doesn't have text to speech.

It *does* have browser, but it has many limitations coming mostly from the fact that the screen refresh speed is something line 1 refresh per second or two. Also forget about flash, video, animations, many scripts. So browser is a nice bonus to document reader. If you want to purchase it with emphasis on browser, consider PocketBook IQ or other LCD device.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
does it have chinese language support?
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 05:29 AM   #6
fragile
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Dictionaries yes
browser yes(*)
USB host yes (you can connect USB memory stick to reader)
Text To Speech NO.
It can play an mp3 with an audoiobook but it doesn't have text to speech.

It *does* have browser, but it has many limitations coming mostly from the fact that the screen refresh speed is something line 1 refresh per second or two. Also forget about flash, video, animations, many scripts. So browser is a nice bonus to document reader. If you want to purchase it with emphasis on browser, consider PocketBook IQ or other LCD device.
Thanks a lot for all that info. No I'm not looking for full fledged browser and understand that eink will have problems with refresh rates. What I'm looking to understand is how much it will lag when compared with the 603+. Basically
I'm looking for something that will allow me to goto google and research furthur on say something technical when reading a book. Can it download pdfs for instance.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:37 AM   #7
fragile
Connoisseur

Is that browser also webkit based?
Strangely I don't see anything about the browser in its User Guide here: http://www.pocketbookreader.com/uplo...ide_v2_eng.pdf

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Is that browser also webkit based?
Strangely I don't see anything about the browser in its User Guide here: http://www.pocketbookreader.com/uplo...ide_v2_eng.pdf

Thanks!
Webkit browser is separate download, not supplied with reader by default.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:09 AM   #9
fragile
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Webkit browser is separate download, not supplied with reader by default.
Where can I download this?
Does anyone know how better the 603 will be in screen glare/reflections compared to the 302?

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
fragile
Connoisseur

Quote:
Where can I download this?
Does anyone know how better the 603 will be in screen glare/reflections compared to the 302?

Thanks.
If someone has owned both, can you please comment on the glare issue?
And where can I download this browser?
Old 12-29-2010, 11:08 AM   #11
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
If someone has owned both, can you please comment on the glare issue?
And where can I download this browser?
Hi Fragile, bear in mind that in Europe the 603 have just started being shipped, not even sure whetehr anyone has got them already...
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #12
marbar
marbar began at the beginning.

Device: none
The new 603 has a touch screen, but I am not clear as to what can be done with it - for example the Sony new pocket reader with touch screen allows page turning by swiping the screen similar to an Ipod touch - does anyone know?
marbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:25 PM   #13
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
it is wacom technology. meaning it is stylus input. finger touches do nothing. BUT with the stylus you can do just about everything. turn pages, highlight, select, write/scribble etc etc
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:56 AM   #14
fragile
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolamanzini View Post
Hi Fragile, bear in mind that in Europe the 603 have just started being shipped, not even sure whetehr anyone has got them already...
Thanks for the reminder. Just went through old threads and found out that it has just started shipping. Hopefully folks who get it first will put an comparision video.

I don't really fancy pulling out a stylus for everything, which is a major plus for
the 302, but looking at its videos, the 302 screens are like mirror. Reflective even with the matte. Thats the major thing preventing me from placing a buy order immediately for it.

BTW, does any know where to download the browser for 302?
Old 12-31-2010, 09:40 AM   #15
marbar
marbar began at the beginning.

Device: none
touch screen

thanks Dulin's books - stylus sounds cool but a pity these days with Ipod and Sony ereaders and maybe others one can turn pages with finger swipes or taps. I suppose that will come one day...
marbar is offline   Reply With Quote