Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #16
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
If I quit a book part way through - I don't continue the series. If a book disappoints me, but I do finish it, I'll try the next one but it's on probation.

I'll give a new series a maximum of two books to hook me, IF people are recommending it. Otherwise it's all up to the first book I read.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #17
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Assuming that we're talking about a series where I have read and liked the prior books...
For me it takes two lame books or one total stinker to get me to drop a series completely. A single "eh, whatever" book (or a lame one, of course) will move the series from my buy list to my library list, and a really good one can move it back to the buy list.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #18
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
In a similar way, I've heard people say that the discworld series by Pratchett starts to be really good only from the 5th book or something (I read the first 3-4 books and found them enjoyable, but not enough to make me want and read the rest).
As far as Pratchett goes, his first books were good, they got better, then they went downhill a bit, then they've picked up again incredibly. In my opinion, obviously. I kept buying his stuff in the hopes it would get better again - which, thankfully, it did.

But there have been other series where I've just given up - the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, for example. Actually, all of McCall-Smith's ongoing stuff.

Quote:
So, in the case of a highly praised series, if you don't find the first book really enjoyable, will you try and give the next book a chance?
Nope.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:18 AM   #19
bamboozled
bamboozled began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Compaq PPC
I prefer to read series ... get immersed with the characters and the story. I like to read fantasy. I just started Farland's Runelords series. I have tried twice to get into the wheel of times series, but tend to crap out about book 4-5 (I've had friends tell me both sides on this one ... with most telling me to push through the middle). I do appreciate Jordan's descriptive ability, but I just get bogged down enough to pull over at that point in the story and haven't gone back.

I tend to give a series a book or two ... see if I feel like going on. Sometimes the plot goes off track or if it gets going in circles (repetitive) then I'll probably jump ship.

Someone said life is too short to read stuff we don't like... I agree. Now that I have a 4 year old and a pair of 21 month old twins. They keep me busy (I'm with them during the day while wifey works). So when I do find the time to get into a story, I don't want to waste that time.

Oh someone also just lent me a copy of the first Earthsea book ... so far so good.

I am recently just rediscovering joy in reading again ... hence the interest in a good ebook reader. Just having to save for one so it might be a while before I can get one.
bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:58 AM   #20
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I loved 1 of The Wheel of Time. Didn't enjoy 2 as much. Struggled a bit with 3 and gave up in the middle of 4.

If I don't enjoy a book these days I don't buy a follow up. There are too many ebooks on my sd card to worry about not finishing a series - or even any book.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:28 AM   #21
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I can't say I actively decide to stop reading a series, but if the books stop being interesting, then I'm just less likely to pick up the next book. If I've liked several books in the series, it will have build up "goodwill" - I will be more likely to several books a try. The more books I've liked, the more I would be likely to pick up a new one.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:20 AM   #22
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
A series I eventually gave up on was Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. I really enjoyed the first few, then the story started to seem to go on and on and on and.....

I think I got Chainfire out of the library and sort of skimmed through it, but finishing the series has been placed in the "can't be bothered - have better things to do with my time" category.

I guess the whole never-ending saga thing - one crisis after (yet) another crisis - started to really get to me. Basically I got to the stage where I was wondering to myself "will this story ever END???"
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #23
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
I guess the whole never-ending saga thing - one crisis after (yet) another crisis - started to really get to me. Basically I got to the stage where I was wondering to myself "will this story ever END???"
Basically, they're fantasy soap operas.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote