Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle 3
0.9.11 won't install

Hi,

I get an error message during installation: "An error occurred while attempting to create the directory: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu"

Had the same problem with the version b4 0.9.8 but didn't report it since I felt I wouldn't be the only user w/the problem.

This is on a Win8 machine. Currently running 0.9.8 which seems fine.

The folder: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu exists so it doesn't need to be created.

CL
clittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Is there a folder called 'Programs'?
That is where the calibre startmenu item is placed in W7
Did you allow UAC to install Calibre?

At the command prompt: type the command: Set (enter)
What is the value shown for ProgramFiles=
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No one else has reported this issue. Since that error occurs while installing start menu entries, you could try clicking the advanced button on the installer and tell it not to install the start menu shortcuts.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Thanks for the help!

In answers to the questions and ideas:

1. There was not a folder: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
2. Set returns: ProgramFiles=C:\Programs

Before creating C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
I tried an install with disabled start menu shortcuts. It looked like it was going to work. At least it seemed to get much further. Then I got "Error getting file security; C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\GetLastError:5"

Then I created the folder: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and ran Install again. This time I got an option: Repair, Remove or Install. I choose Repair and it's now working!

I don't know why my system didn't have C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. But I use a program called "Classic Start Menu" which lets me boot into a (classic) start menu and keeps me out of Metro (unless, of course I want to go Metro).

Perhaps Classic Start Menu removes the Programs folder or perhaps Win8 doesn't use one.

Thanks to both for your help! I'm up and running with 0.9.11!

CL
Old 12-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
clittle
Zealot

Just to let everyone know I have the same problem with 0.9.12

The "normal install fails" as does the advanced install with option to install start menu items disabled. Error messages are the same as described in my last post.

This time I do have the Programs folder installed under Start Menu.

The third install with Repair selected works.

Something is fishy.

CL
Old 12-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by clittle View Post
...Then I created the folder: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and ran Install again. This time I got an option: Repair, Remove or Install. I choose Repair and it's now working!

I don't know why my system didn't have C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. But I use a program called "Classic Start Menu" which lets me boot into a (classic) start menu and keeps me out of Metro (unless, of course I want to go Metro).

Perhaps Classic Start Menu removes the Programs folder or perhaps Win8 doesn't use one.
It would seem that your "Classic Start Menu" add in is the basis of your problem.

The folders C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs are created by Win 8 during its installation - if you did not have it then something has deleted it since your original Win 8 installation.

Win 8 has Program Files and Program Files (x86) just like Win 7 does.

My suggestion would be to dump your "Classic Start Menu" add in and get used to working from the Win 8 Start page - it is much faster and easier than the old Windows Globe menu system and will avoid problems such as you are having.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
clittle
Zealot

Hi Another,

I don't intend to get involved in an off-topic debate but I don't agree w/your view on Win8. It may be fine for tablet/touch users but it just doesn't work for me as a mouse clicker. That will be my last word on the subject.

I doubt Classic Start Menu is the problem. I added the missing Programs folder and it didn't help. However, when the next update to C comes out I'll remove it temporarily just to test the theory.

Thanks,

CC
Old 01-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clittle View Post
Hi Another,

I don't intend to get involved in an off-topic debate but I don't agree w/your view on Win8. It may be fine for tablet/touch users but it just doesn't work for me as a mouse clicker. That will be my last word on the subject.

I doubt Classic Start Menu is the problem. I added the missing Programs folder and it didn't help. However, when the next update to C comes out I'll remove it temporarily just to test the theory.

Thanks,

CC
Well if you are finding that you are clicking your mouse as much as, or more than in Win 7 then you do not understand how Win 8 works for non Metro type applications. For those Win 8 requires fewer clicks and, especially in the case of users who have several windows open on the desktop at the same time, fewer mouse movements.

But as you say you prefer the superseded Windows Globe start interface my only suggestion to fix your problem would be to install Windows 7. I have had no need to look for myself, but if you do not have a copy it is usual that when a new version of Windows appears cheap licences for the old version come up on the likes of eBay.

I have installed both 32 and 64 bit Calibre on a 64 bit machines and 32 bit Calibre on 32 bit machines with Windows 8 and had no issues whatsoever; that and the lack of widespread reports of similar problems to your own would tend to indicate that you have a problem specific to your own local environment.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 01-01-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
clittle
Zealot

Won't install (Classic Start Menu error)

Hi,

Update: Just so the next guy has access to this new info...

As I said in my last post, I'd try uninstalling Classic Start Menu (CSM) b4 installing the next release of C.

Well interestingly enough, the uninstall of CSM failed with the same error as when I tried to install C (i.e. ...GetLastError:5).

So I now agree that there's a bug in CSM. It's a nice little application. Just hoping the next release fixes the problem.

CL
Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
AnotherCat

I am assuming here that you have not been able to uninstall CSM and may want to (if only for now ). In which case the following may (I emphasise "May") give a result.

If not done already, try going to Power Options in Control Panel, select "Choose what the power buttons do" and under "Shutdown settings" uncheck "Turn on fast start-up (recommended)". Then reboot and try the uninstall again.

This should prevent the PC doing a hybrid boot and the system resuming from the state it was in when last shutdown; a hybrid boot may be what is frustrating an uninstall of CSM which modifies the OS.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
clittle
Zealot

[SOLVED] Calibre won't install

OK, the solution was simple. It was finding the cause that was problematic.

A while back I ran into a permissions problem (at this point I don't remember exactly what caused it). So I changed ownership of almost everything to myself.
VERY BAD MOVE!

Changing ownership back to System resolved everything.

CL

Tags
0.9.11, can't create directory