Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
thanks. How?
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #17
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Use code view to add, at the beginning of each file, something like this:

<div class="header">Book Title</div>

and add to the CSS styles:

div.header { display: oeb-page-head; }

(In Bookeen readers, you can just enable page headers, and you'll have the book title on each page, regardless of how the book is coded.)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #18
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Ok Thanks!
Old 05-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #19
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
You could also create a fixed-layout ePub. I.e. an ePub where each page is hard-coded as a separate .xhtml file. This would give you absolute freedom about the placement of headers and footers.
However, there are several downsides: Fixed-layout ePubs are more time-consuming to create than regular ePubs, there are several different fixed-layout flavors and relatively few readers fully support them.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #20
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
And also, there are very few readers that can read fixed layout ePUB. iBooks is one of the few.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #21
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Fixed-layout ePubs are an aberration, in my opinion. If you need fixed-layout, use PDF.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #22
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Quote:
Fixed-layout ePubs are an aberration, in my opinion. If you need fixed-layout, use PDF.
PDF, now there's and Idea to experiment with!. FWIW, I like all the suggestions. I love to play around with ebooks! I like changing the font, etc.. I could even change the ending to a story if I want. Try that with a paper or hardback! I found a good book on Project gutenberg, for my granddaughter, I changed all occurrences of the main protagonists name to the name of my granddaughter. She loved it!
Old 05-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Well, that refusal to discuss the topic on this (appropriate) forum seems to have been short-lived.

What the OP seems not to comprehend is that the method of creating the "page header," and the software used to create the ePUB (whether Sigil, Calibre, etc.) is irrelevant; the fact the the CSS is unsupported across the board, by ePUB DEVICES, is the issue. Sigil is, and was, utterly irrelevant to the question, the topic, and the answer.

@P3aul: the vast majority of epub readers (people) are not happy with "wasted space" being used by page headers, as they figure they are intelligent enough to know what book they are reading. It's like the "extra line" between paragraphs created by writers hitting the "enter" key twice before starting the next paragraph. I suspect that while most ePUB-folks continue to object to wasting space this way, most devices will continue to not support it. Apple provides a "page header," but it pulls the information from the metadata, NOT the CSS, so whatever you put there would be overriden; ditto Kindle8. Again: to be clear, this has nothing whatsoever to do with Sigil.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
There are supported in the ePub 3 specification so I suspect they are here to stay. They are easier to control than PDF and are much cheaper to build than buying Acrobat from Adobe.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #25
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Thank you(most of you) for the helpful posts anyway!
Old 05-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
There are supported in the ePub 3 specification so I suspect they are here to stay. They are easier to control than PDF and are much cheaper to build than buying Acrobat from Adobe.

Dale
But at the moment, we don't have readers that handle ePub 3. So for now, it won't work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3aul View Post
Thank you(most of you) for the helpful posts anyway!
I have built a new wiki page on how headers and footers are supposed to work. headers and footers. Interestingly enough they did work in the original OEB standard that preceded ePub and were supported by early eBook readers including LIT from Microsoft which conformed to this earlier standard. It is not clear why this wasn't carried forward except that Adobe chose not to support it for some reason. Anyway I hope this is helpful.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But at the moment, we don't have readers that handle ePub 3. So for now, it won't work.
Well, that is not true. Both Kindle KF8 and Apple iBooks claim to support ePub 3 and we have Azardi for PCs. There are more on the way but I have no idea if these readers really have this support as they are supposed to. Perhaps if we keep on yelling the manufacturers and programmers will finally listen.

Dale
Old 05-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #29
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
And also, there are very few readers that can read fixed layout ePUB. iBooks is one of the few.
There are more and more readers with fixed layout ePub support including Kobo which uses iBooks approach, Barnes and Noble with its own version and Amazon in its KF8 format. Hopefully the ePub 3 standard will prevail in the long run but there are still likely to be extensions to the standard.

Dale
Old 05-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #30
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Thanks, Dale. I will certainly visit your wiki! But be careful when you disagree. i just got a warning from a Net Nannie when I responded to an ill-mannered poster who sent a sarcastic post to me. and now i will probably have this post deleted also. Oh well!