Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
Richard443
Member Retired
Richard443 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Richard443 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Richard443 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket eDGe
a. Cannot Connect Pocket Edge to PC b. Public Library book will not display on the PE

Background. I bought my Pocket Edge from Woot! last month. With the help of this forum and the Entourage forum I up dated to Ermine and signed up for apps from Amazon. I had to retrain myself to read the detail in the forums and when I figured it out I could accomplish things. You know like dragging down the notification bar or clicking the Entourage symbol to see all my apps. Oh, did I mention, this is the first time I am using an android operating system.

First Problem. Using the supplied cable (USB and mini USB) I cannot get my PC to recognized the Pocket Edge or vice versa. I follow the directions but I must be reading something incorrectly.

Second Problem. Since I couldn't solve the "First Problem" I used a microSD to transfer a public library book from my PC to the PE. When I try to open the library book in the PE it tries to load but nothing displays on the ereader. I get a notification that someone else is using the book.

The forums help wold be appreciated in solving these problems.

Last edited by Richard443; 06-01-2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Information left out.
Richard443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
yugami
Connoisseur
yugami began at the beginning.

Device: PRS+950
Walk us through how you are trying to connect to the PC.

Plug in the small USB end into the Edge, the normal end into the PC. Then drag down the notification bar and select USB storage and click the button that shows up to turn it on.

It should then show up as a drive on your PC.

If it doesn't bring up the device manager (right click on My computer and select manage) and see if something funky is there.
yugami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Do you use windows XP or 7?
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
CheyenneDonna
Connoisseur
CheyenneDonna has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Entourage Edge
Occasionally in XP an external drive will call itself a letter already taken by another device; in that case I have had to change the drive letter assigned to the devce in order to see it.
CheyenneDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
Richard443
Member Retired
Richard443 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Richard443 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Richard443 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

All, I use Windows 7, 64 bit. I found the edge under Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers\Unspecified. It is recognized, but now the next question - how do I see the contents of the PE?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Oh, I think I know, when you plug it in do you get a little message on the PE statusbar(the thing on the top of the screen)? If so then drag that down(the status bar) and tap on the thing that says something involving mass storage mode(or something similar), then tap enable mass storage mode(again I don't know exact wording, but it should be similar to that). Hope this helps!

EDIT: sorry, just noticed that this was posted already...

Last edited by emusan; 06-01-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
Richard443
Member Retired

Emusan, mine is not quite what you are saying. When I plug in the cable then the PE (Ermine installed) asks me to select the USB drive which I do. I then have a notification message that says "Turn Off USB storage'. I need to do this before I disconnect from my PC. The display message on the PE shows an Android figure and states: "USB storage in use". Normally a drive of file will popup on my PC and I can click it to open the storage. Then I could drag my library book into it and close the USB storage down and it should be on my PE. At least that is the way I understand it. Something is missing or my understanding is befuddlement because I can find the device but cannot open it.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
If you have Adobe Digital Editions installed on your computer you should be able to open that while your PE is "mounted" (which it is if the pulldown notification says click to turn off) and see the eDGe as a drive within ADE. Then (within ADE) you can drag books across to your eDGe.

The "someone else is using the book" message usally means an Adobe disconnect of some kind. If your Adobe registration is different on your computer from your eDGe you would need to make them the same. If they are the same I don't know what to tell you.

First thing, I suppose, is to check whether your library book shows up in ADE on your computer (I'm sure it does, doesn't it??)

Oh, and hello and welcome!!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:33 AM   #9
CheyenneDonna
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard443 View Post
All, I use Windows 7, 64 bit. I found the edge under Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers\Unspecified. It is recognized, but now the next question - how do I see the contents of the PE?
Something is not quite right; it should show as a removable drive.
Step 1 - plug in PE
2- pull down notification bar and select mount USB storage ( you should see a green Android )- you should get a warning about some apps not working while the drive is mounted. After the drive is mounted the Android is kind of gold or yellowish.
Now you should get the windows pop up that asks what to do, select open to view files.
The correct order for dismount is to eject from PC first, then turn off USB storage on the PE
Old 06-02-2011, 01:33 AM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
In a similar vein, I'm attempting to open a library book with Reader and it gives an error. I used ADE to fulfill the .acsm file, then emailed it to PE and saved it to Library. Did not work. I've also tried transferring it with Dropbox. Meanwhile, non-library, Adobe DRM ePub/PDF open just fine using either method.

Another failure was attempting to move a book that Overdrive has in its storage to the Library (or attempt to open with Reader directly). 'There was an error encountered...' , '...could not be opened' - not so helpful.

At first I thought it had to do with my ADE account/password - had to change my password recently. But no, it works with other books.

I don't have my USB cable handy so I cannot try moving with ADE. Is that going to work, and if so, why?

At least it works with the other things in my Adobe DRM collection. In particular, PDFs. Prior to this, I could read them with Bluefire on my iPod, which is not very pleasant, or with ADE on my laptop, also not comfortable. With reflow, it's much better on PE, and it is super how Reader comes up with a navigable TOC on the LCD screen. Does Reader support PDF links? (haven't encountered any yet so haven't had a chance to try yet).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:50 AM   #11
CheyenneDonna
Connoisseur

"I don't have my USB cable handy so I cannot try moving with ADE. Is that going to work, and if so, why?"
Yes - the license needs to transfer as well as the book; email, dropbox etc can't do this only ADE. If you download with Overdrive you can only read it in Overdrive on the LCD, likewise if you transfer it with ADE you can only open it in Reader.
And yes, the eink supports live links, email addresses too.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #12
emusan
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
In a similar vein, I'm attempting to open a library book with Reader and it gives an error. I used ADE to fulfill the .acsm file, then emailed it to PE and saved it to Library. Did not work. I've also tried transferring it with Dropbox. Meanwhile, non-library, Adobe DRM ePub/PDF open just fine using either method.

Another failure was attempting to move a book that Overdrive has in its storage to the Library (or attempt to open with Reader directly). 'There was an error encountered...' , '...could not be opened' - not so helpful.

At first I thought it had to do with my ADE account/password - had to change my password recently. But no, it works with other books.

I don't have my USB cable handy so I cannot try moving with ADE. Is that going to work, and if so, why?

At least it works with the other things in my Adobe DRM collection. In particular, PDFs. Prior to this, I could read them with Bluefire on my iPod, which is not very pleasant, or with ADE on my laptop, also not comfortable. With reflow, it's much better on PE, and it is super how Reader comes up with a navigable TOC on the LCD screen. Does Reader support PDF links? (haven't encountered any yet so haven't had a chance to try yet).
Are you just transferring the acsm file or the epub/PDF that is downloaded when you open it in ADE?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #13
Richard443
Member Retired

Filark, CheyenneDonna - Unfortunately neither suggestion works although my PE does show USB "Turn off USB storage" and nothing shows up on my ADE.

I'm wondering if my original attempt at viewing files on my PC got hosed up. Earlier I wrote "I found the edge under Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers\Unspecified".

Can I delete this instance of Edge and start over?

Many Thanks!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #14
emusan
lol

yes actually, you can. With your edge plugged in, click on start then devices and printers, then find the one called eDGe, right click on that then select properties. In the properties window you should see a tab at the top called hardware, click on that and you should see a list of the various things the eDGe is transmitting over USB(there should be 4 or more I think). Now you will have to click each item individually and click properties, in the properties window click change settings then click on driver and click uninstall driver. Once you've installed the drivers for each thing, unplug and replug in your eDGe. I think that should work.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #15
Richard443
Member Retired

emusan - Fixed, fixed, fixed, at least I hope so. Followed your directions and edge showed up in "Devices and Printers". Before it was in "Drivers and Printers/Unspecified". Right clicked on the Edge icon and tried to open to see the files. No luck. Ran the trouble shooter and found I was missing a driver which the trouble shooter fixed. I can see all of the contents of the PE.

I will now see if I can get a public library book to display. I will let everyone know if the problem is now solved.

Tags
library ebooks, pocket edge, usb connection