Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-23-2009, 08:32 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I'll try to get around to mentioning it on her blog tomorrow. The beauty of the idea is it would be author to author negotiations and agreements. Joint advertizing...
And only one site needed to sell eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:04 PM   #17
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Maybe this is an opportunity for some enterprising IT/business type person. (I.e. someone smarter than me.)
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:27 AM   #18
geoffthomas
geoffthomas
geoffthomas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
You know that if Amazon would drop DRM, we would have what everyone is looking for.
geoffthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:18 AM   #19
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Except that Amazon take 65% of retail for ebooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffthomas View Post
You know that if Amazon would drop DRM, we would have what everyone is looking for.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
If Amazon was to drop DRM, then maybe we could get a better method of accepting eBooks. I've been noticing some Amazon eBook specific errors such as Turn Coat that not even the Mobipocket edition has.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:03 AM   #21
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Amazon does drop the DRM. If you upload a non-DRM MOBI, you get a non-DRM AZW.

If I were Cherryh and the others I would seriously consider uploading to Amazon. Yes, you lose 2/3 of your revenue. But would you get 3 times the sales from people searching Amazon and finding their books? That's the dilemma.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:08 AM   #22
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
I have a question then. Wouldn't Amazon want exclusive rights to distribute them and therefore they would be limited only to the Kindle reader?
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #23
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Wouldn't Amazon want exclusive rights to distribute them and therefore they would be limited only to the Kindle reader?
Amazon wants non-exclusive, but world-wide, rights - from Terms & Conditions:
Quote:
You hereby grant to us, throughout the term of this Agreement, a nonexclusive, irrevocable, worldwide right and license to distribute Digital Books
This is a problem if you later want to sell exclusive rights, obviously. It is interesting that these are world-wide rights, because the current Kindle is very definitely a US-only rights device. It means that they will be able to sell DTP Kindle ebooks immediately when they make the Kindle available in other markets.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:25 PM   #24
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
I note that Baen/Webscriptions also wants non-exclusive world-wide rights. They also have a good reputation for fair dealing, no DRM, a built-in significant base of SF/Fantasy buyers as clients, and have shown themselves to be very friendly to digital re-issues. I'm more than a bit surprised that Cherryh and friends haven't shopped their books there, as well.

In fact, Amazon/Kindle, Baen/Webscriptions and their own site (all at once, and perhaps with Fictionwise tossed in too) would make a ton of sense. With non-exclusive world-wide rights for each of the above.

Anyone know her/them well enough to suggest it?

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:46 PM   #25
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
In fact, Amazon/Kindle, Baen/Webscriptions and their own site (all at once, and perhaps with Fictionwise tossed in too) would make a ton of sense. With non-exclusive world-wide rights for each of the above.
Except that Amazon's royalty is 35% of "Suggested Retail Price", which has to be consistent with that at other retailers and wholesalers. I don't think this precludes a lower price on the authors own web site but it might at Baen. I really have no idea if a SF author would get more sales (or more royalties overall) from Webscriptions than from the Kindle Store. A much larger fraction of the webscriptions audience would see and buy the ebooks, but there are a ton of Kindles out there.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #26
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Since it's non-exclusive, nothing prevents them from selling them in other stores. But the problem is, you're competing with yourself; you're basically letting people who aren't "in the know" to buy them mass market at Amazon and only get 35%, but you expect your fans to use your own website or Baen to buy the books from you at full price. I guess you could offer your ebooks at 50% off on your store; then you'd undercut Amazon's price, but still make more yourself for people who want to come to your site and support you directly.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #27
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know about Amazon's ToS. But Baen/Webscriptions places no restrictions on the price charged at other outlets (TTBoMK). Usually, that has wound up leaving Baen as the least expensive source; with authors selling their own works, they might choose to undercut Baen. Which would be just fine.

Xenophon
Old 04-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #28
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
C. J. Cherryh has a book on Webscriptions already (Paladin), as well as a story in an anthology, so I think she knows about it. Those seem to be the only two books she published with Baen in paper. Are they taking books from individual authors at this time, or only trying to work with other publishers?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:17 PM   #29
Xenophon
curmudgeon

They've done bunches of e-Only re-issues of books from individual authors. For example their Edmond Hamilton and Leigh Brackett re-issues. Or the complete A Bertram Chandler re-issue.

I don't know how they are selecting, or any details of the deals. But it would seem worth-while for Cherryh and friends to check it out.

Xenophon
Old 04-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #30
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I'm really glad to read this thread.

While I haven't found nearly all of her books to be my cup of tea, I have bought a lot of them over the years to support the local girl. And I do have very fond memories of her filk singing at cons

The Paladin is a favorite and I did find and buy a .pdb copy which I converted to mobi. If she has a better proof read version for sale in epub, I will get that and the Morgaine novels.

/bounces around happily.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote