Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
mruseless
mruseless began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Merge records

Is there some way in Calibre to merge two records?

For example, I have a few books in .PDF, which I converted to .AZW. However, when I added them to Calibre, it added as a separate record. I would like to merge the two.
mruseless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
click the arrow next to the edit metadata button
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 10:24 PM   #3
mruseless

Ah, great!
I thought I looked in there, but I must have missed it.
Thanks very much!
Old 06-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mruseless View Post
Ah, great!
I thought I looked in there, but I must have missed it.
Thanks very much!
It's two levels deep - inside the edit metadata level and a bit deeper than most other functions. It probably doesn't matter which you select first, unless one has wrong metadata. If so, select the one with the correct or better metadata first, then the other one, then choose the merge and "delete others" option. The "keep others" option will put your .azw and .pdf formats in the first selected record, but keep the second selected record anyway, with only its original format. The "merge" always occurs only in the first record you select, while the other records are either deleted or kept.

Last edited by Starson17; 06-14-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
mruseless

Thanks for the explanation, it was a little confusing at first.
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mruseless View Post
Thanks for the explanation, it was a little confusing at first.
It's difficult to make it clear how it works in the few words available on the menu. I tried to be more clear in the warning that pops up. You can always cancel after reading the warning, but I understand the reluctance to choose either option if you aren't sure what will happen. The warning differs between the "keep" and the "delete."

FYI, if you add an empty book (under Add Books) then select that record first, then select another book record and choose the merge-keep others option, it copies the book record into the empty record. (It doesn't copy the date). It's useful for testing conversions without messing up your master copies of the book.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:01 AM   #7
Skeeve
Zealot
Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4.1.1 no touch
This command works okay if you select your books using the mouse. But if you select using your keyboard it seems the notion of what's the first selected book is not so clear.
Skeeve is offline   Reply With Quote