Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
meggy
meggy began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Unhappy reader locked itself whilst reading - help???!!!

I was reading this morning and when I tried to shut it off via the power slide nothing happened, nothing else would work either (won't turn page, bookmark or anything) & a symbol 'L' in a circle is displayed just to the right hand side of the battery power indicator (which shows 2 bars) - I'm guessing that it's locked itself, but how do I unlock it when nothing is responding, not even a reset?
meggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by meggy View Post
I was reading this morning and when I tried to shut it off via the power slide nothing happened, nothing else would work either (won't turn page, bookmark or anything) & a symbol 'L' in a circle is displayed just to the right hand side of the battery power indicator (which shows 2 bars) - I'm guessing that it's locked itself, but how do I unlock it when nothing is responding, not even a reset?
Welcome to MR,meggy!!

How scary to have something happen on your first post..

The "L" in a circle just means that you have changed the Font size to Large. (The little tiny button on the far left of the Reader will change sizes-- then the black bar on the bottom tells you which font size is being used.)

The only time that I have changed font size to Large is when viewing pdf files. This is also the only time that the Reader has frozen on me. I found non ADE pdf files that are very large take a little time to repagnate when changing font size and this is when it would freeze. I had to USB hook it to the laptop and delete the file for it to unfreeze.

This is the only experience that I have had with freezing of my Reader. A more experienced member may chime in with more ideas soon. In the meantime search through the forums, join in the fun, and introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself Forum so we can welcome you properly.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
L just means "large" (font size), it has nothing to do with locking. Press and hold reset for a few seconds, then toggle the power switch. After a few seconds it should start booting up.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
My reader freezes up like this every month or so. Plug your reader into a power source in case the reason it froze was a dead battery. Press the reset button the back and hold it down for a few seconds. Then slide and hold the power switch until you see the little amber light turn on. The reader screen should flick off and then back on, and then go into the boot screen. It will take a while to restart, so be patient. It will also not remember where you were in your book, which is annoying.

These sorts of freeze ups keep happening to me, and not just with certain books. I'm tempted to get a 600 just hoping it won't crash like my 505 does.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote