Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 05-23-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Trouble activating MS Reader

Decided I should break down & install MS reader so I can get freebie Harlequin romances (from the normal site, not the 17 freebies for their 60th anniversary).

It's not working.

Steps:
--Go to eHarlequin.com. Put books in cart. Click "checkout."
--It says I have to install/activate MS Reader. Click link.
--Download Reader. Install.
--Open. Click "Activate."
--It tells me my browser doesn't support activation.
--Dither for a bit, before copying URL into Internet Explorer 6 instead of Firefox.
--It demands a "passport."
--Create MS Passport account. Agree to several who-knows-what TOS's that have nothing to do with ebooks.
--Login with Passport account.
--Click "Activate" again.
--Says I need ActiveX something-or-other, but doesn't tell me how to install it.
--Close several windows; re-open & attempt again.
--Says I need ActiveX again. This time, IE pops up a "download blocked!" bar, that asks if I want to install ActiveX. Yes, I suppose I do.
--Click "Activate" again.
--It gives me a short, quick Progress bar, and after about 20 seconds, it says "Activation components have been successfully downloaded to your device and installed."
--Go back to eHarlequin. Logout. Log in. Click "check out."
--It says I need to activate Reader to get MS Lit books.
--Repeat several aspects of this, several times.

What am I doing wrong?

ETA: Nevermind. Nowhere at eHarlequin does it indicate you must use Internet Explorer to download MS Lit ebooks. Activate, yes. Download, no.

No wonder ebooks are a niche market; the DRM "security" features are beyond ridiculous.

Last edited by Elfwreck; 05-23-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Before you went back to the site, did you restart your computer?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
ETA: Nevermind. Nowhere at eHarlequin does it indicate you must use Internet Explorer to download MS Lit ebooks. Activate, yes. Download, no.

No wonder ebooks are a niche market; the DRM "security" features are beyond ridiculous.
Yep, all DRM is a PITA. I had the same problem when I first started downloading LITs. It's the only thing I use IE for.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Before you went back to the site, did you restart your computer?
Found the problem: Harlequin's idiot message "you have not activated Microsoft Reader" will happen on any non-IE browser; they don't know how to tell the difference between "your browser won't work for this download" and "your computer doesn't allow this download."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
I can't activate Reader at all - the activation server is apparently down (what, they have only one?). Support said to try again after 24 hours ....

Let's see, I can read it in ereader format now, on the kindle in seconds, but MS wants me to activate the reader, but has a 24 hour wait for the server to _maybe_ come back online and let me do so.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2009, 07:57 AM   #6
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
I can't activate Reader at all - the activation server is apparently down (what, they have only one?). Support said to try again after 24 hours ....

Let's see, I can read it in ereader format now, on the kindle in seconds, but MS wants me to activate the reader, but has a 24 hour wait for the server to _maybe_ come back online and let me do so.
Same here.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote