Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-19-2009, 12:44 AM   #1
GreatBear
GreatBear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Sony Reader
New iMac hates my 1st gen Kindle

Happily used my old eMac w/ my Kindle for some time, but now that Mac has moved on and I have a brand new iMac. However, now I'm having the worst time uploading Kindle content. It takes longer for the Kindle to mount, takes several minutes to upload content (as opposed to seconds) and when I try to eject, I get an error telling me that drive is busy, please try ejecting later. I generally get mad and unplug it without ejecting.

Any ideas????
GreatBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:31 AM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
My iMac is a few years old and my Kindle 1 seemed to have a lot of trouble with it all the time. Basically what you're describing.

I have no idea if this is relevant, but is it connected directly to the Mac or are you using a hub? Mine was always going through a hub, and I never thought to try it otherwise.

Kindle 2 doesn't seem to have the problem, though.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
GreatBear

I've tried connecting both to a hub and directly to the back of the iMac. I've also tried two diff USB cables. It's weird that the 4 yr old computer worked fine but the four wk old computer doesn't!
Old 06-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
GreatBear

Meant to post this earlier, but the answer to my prob was here in the forums the whole time. It was spotlight trying to index my Kindle every time I plugged in.

According to Scotty1024:

OK, I think I figured it out.

I've only hooked my Kindle 2 up via USB to a Mac Pro at home.

At Home I'm not running 10.4 or 10.5.

At Work I'm running 10.5.

I hooked up the Kindle 2 via USB to my Mac Pro at work and all hell broke loose.

The culprit is Spotlight. It is sucking down all your Kindle's bandwidth creating a Spotlight index of all the content on the Kindle. I'm researching how to club Spotlight over the head and keep it off the Kindle but for now it's definitely a problem (unless you aren't using 10.4 or 10.5).

UPDATE: Go to the Spotlight control panel's Privacy tab and drag the Kindle's icon from Finder into the panel. This will create a file on the Kindle that marks it as "Do No Spotlight This Device!" If you ever notice a directory on the Kindle named .Spotlight-V100 don't delete it! That's where the file is stored, in that directory.

Whole thread is here.

Thanks, Scotty1024!