Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-06-2009, 03:26 AM   #1
ASC
ASC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Question Sony PRS-505's ability to read letters not found in the English alphabet?

I need your help

I have no doubt that I need to get an E-reader - although I only heard of it a couple of months ago (yes news travel slow! ).

I have decided that I want the Sony prs-505, but I have a couple of questions I hope you guys can answer.

1) I live in Denmark where the Sony hasn't released the e-reader yet (rumours speculate that it will happen sometime around June 2009).

Therefore I'm considering waiting to buy it until I get to the States in May. But am I then risking that the prs-505 will be off the market by then - and therefore have to spend a lot more money on the prs-700 (I might add that I haven't bought it yet because of the price).

Do any of you know if Sony's agenda is to stop selling the prs-505 soon???

2) Mostly I read books in English, but once in a blue moon I'll read books in Danish as well. In Danish we have 3 more letters than in the English alphabet (æ, ø and å). Do you know if the e-reader can handle these letters?
Can it handle the special letters in Turkish, German etc...?

I'll appreciate any help you can give
ASC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 AM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

I would say the 505 is today a “cash cow” for Sony, so I do not see them stopping selling it anytime soon… see how little time they begun to sell it in the UK and France?

Check prices, especially in the UK (the pound has being going down in value almost by the minute) , and maybe you will be very surprised that it will be even cheaper then it’s in the US.
Remember that buying in Europe gives you a 2 year warranty, and that the one in the US will not be valid.

In my country we have several “extra letters” too (á, é I, ã, ç, etc…) and the 505 shows them without a problem.

I you want and have an example of a document with the letters from your country, you can post them here (or send it by PM) and I will test tit for you.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
ASC

You're right about the warranty - I hadn't thought of that

I've checked the prices in both the UK and the States and they're so close that it doesn't matter where you buy it right now (when you convert to Danish currency).

I have an example of a Danish text here:

"Den nærmere afhøring af Stein Bagger, der er sigtet for bedrageri i IT Factory-sagen, ser nu ud til at stå for døren.

Bagmandspolitiet oplyser, at parterne er enige om, hvordan afhøringerne skal forløbe. Fra politiets side er man klar til umiddelbart at gå i gang med afhøringen af Bagger.

Vi har aftalt, hvordan afhøringerne skal gennemføres og den rent praktiske tilrettelæggelse af den nærmeste fremtid, forklarer Jesper Friedrichsen, politiinspektør hos Bagmandspolitiet.

Omfanget af afhøringerne kan jeg dog ikke sige noget om. Det vil sagen afgøre, og det afhænger blandt andet af, hvad den sigtede ønsker at medvirke til, forklarer Jesper Friedrichsen."

Old 01-06-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASC View Post
2) Mostly I read books in English, but once in a blue moon I'll read books in Danish as well. In Danish we have 3 more letters than in the English alphabet (æ, ø and å). Do you know if the e-reader can handle these letters?
Yes it can.
Just create a pdf file using page size 90x118mm and embed the font into the document.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Give me some hours - I d not have the 505 with me, just the Cybook - and i will give you the feedback.
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
ASC

No rush

I wont see your answer until tomorrow anyway.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm at home today. I pasted the text into Word, saved it as an rtf and loaded it into the Ebook library software. This is the result:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Danish.JPG
Views:	431
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	20655
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #8
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I converted it to an LRF file using bookdesigner, and Uploaded it to my PRS 700 (it will look the same on the 505) its also using the embedded font Georgia in the LRF file.

Full Size link Below
http://picasaweb.google.com/flushing...66578925958178

Last edited by Andybaby; 01-06-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
DDHarriman
Guru

Hi

It reads perfectly in the Cybook and on the 505.

I have converted your text to Mobipocket (Cybook) and Lrf (Sony).

I’m posting photos of both.
They are really crap so do not take the quality of the screen reader by them (they are 10.000 worst then the reader), it’s just to let you have an idea of what to see.

Best,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cybook.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	601.6 KB
ID:	20691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	20692  
Old 01-07-2009, 02:25 AM   #10
ASC

Thank you all so much for taking the time to test the Danish text for me

It puts my troubled heart completely at ease seeing your photos. I can't wait to get my own e-reader

Tags
danish, price, sony 505, sony prs-505