Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-03-2007, 06:16 PM   #1
Asterra
Asterra began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Final word on iLiad's image resizing?

This is one question I posed in another thread which hadn't really been tackled, and I was reminded of my lingering concern when I saw a photo of how the latest Sony Reader handles images. See for yourself:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...6&d=1195338610

You may need to look closely, but it is evident that the Sony Reader has made use of the "nearest neighbor" scaling algorithm, which is a pretty fast process which produces very ugly results. Text and thin lines suffer particularly. (It is easy to recognize that the photo itself is not simply too low in resolution, as the Sony Reader's bezel looks fine.) It's the same thing IE and Firefox use by default to shrink an image down when it's too big for the display area.

Well obviously that won't do. Fortunately, the iLiad seems to be ahead of Sony's game in many respects already. What I'm hoping is that it utilizes, perhaps optionally, a more acceptable resizing algorithm. What would be amazingly inconvenient is the prospect of manually resizing hundreds of JPG images to whatever works best with the iLiad's default resolution(s). That wouldn't exactly be the sort of plug-&-play experience I'm hoping for with this device.

Anyway, I'm sure you manga readers out there probably know what the scoop is on this facet of the iLiad, so please inform.
Asterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:05 AM   #2
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
You will not be happy reading mangas in jpg - it is extremly unpleasant.

Convert your jpgs to pdf with this tool: manga2ebook

when exporting with 1024x768 resolution you will have very very nice pictures for iLiad. Akira was a wonderful experience on iLiad like this...

Greetings
Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2007, 05:18 AM   #3
kapoira
Connoisseur
kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: i62HD + T68
for me there is two options

1) use manga2ebook ,my script for imagemagick if you are in linux, or many options to do the convert in a pc, and you get a manga for the iliad.
GOOD: your's mangas get less space because the convert
if you convert to .pdf you get cache for the next-image good
(i don't know if with manga2ebook, and the ipdf full-screen you really get the fullscreen, with my script you can modify the line of the image and not problem)
BAD: time in your PC converting.

2) copy the gqview port for the iliad if you are experiented in using linux
PRO: your only have to copy the manga (uncompressed and with directories if you want) and go to see fullscreeen
you can select the algorithm to print the image (now i don'r remember the multiple choises), but you have pre-cache you only note this the first image
BAD: time in your iliad converting the image, that results in more cpu, less battery
it's a very fast port, if you press a button (NEWS,DOCS,) because the content listener, you will go to the news page, and you "can't" recover the gqview you have to reboot....
and the bad is that the led is blinking all the time.

this 2) option doesn't have installer, and you have to create more loaders for the gnome of the iliad. (Not user friendly)
kapoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:47 AM   #4
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Quote:
i don't know if with manga2ebook, and the ipdf full-screen you really get the fullscreen
You get fullscreen.
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote