Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #9586
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The Electric Company reference escaped me, but I was fairly confident of the other three.

If anyone's got a question, go for it. I'm posting on the fly.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #9587
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Take a strip of paper.

Give it a half twist and join the ends. You now have a Möbius strip - a piece of paper where the flat area is all one side.

Join the ends without a half twist and you just have a loop, with the flat area is two sides.

How can you turn a strip of paper into something with three flat sides? (No cutting, and with just one join, as in the previous two examples.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #9588
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
Fold it into a triangle?
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #9589
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Roll it up like you would an old rug.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #9590
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaenSidhe View Post
Fold it into a triangle?
No, not that kind of side. Three sides. If you start colouring in a mobius strip, stopping at edges, you cover the whole surface with one colour. With a loop you finish colouring, and then have another side to colour.

With this object, you have three sides to colour. (Although you can't see all three at once.)

Triangles do come into it though.
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #9591
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Roll it up like you would an old rug.
Still only two sides.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #9592
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Fold it lengthways, then join into a mobius strip? One side on the "outside", two sides on the "inside".
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #9593
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Fold it lengthways, then join into a mobius strip? One side on the "outside", two sides on the "inside".
An interesting idea, but you have a problem joining the ends. Because of half twist, you're trying to join a mountain fold to a valley fold.

I will say that while the Möbius strip and the simple loop both still resemble the original strip of paper, this construction makes it harder to see that it is one single strip of paper.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #9594
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you roll it up you have three sides. Two ends and a center (picture a rolled up rug), but I look forward to seeing your answer pdurrant.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #9595
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
I hope you have a picture.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:11 AM   #9596
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
If you roll it up you have three sides. Two ends and a center (picture a rolled up rug), but I look forward to seeing your answer pdurrant.
Ah! I see. OK, that's a pretty good answer. The edge between the 'sides' isn't really like the edge of a piece of paper, but it could be argued that my solution is flawed too, so I think I shall declare a winner.

My solution is the trihexaflexagon.

No, it's not as bad as it sounds, really. Here's how you make it. Take a strip of paper that's at least 6.5 times longer than it is wide.

Now fold it up in equilateral triangles. You want to end up with ten triangles.

Now fold the strip into a hexagon. One triangle sticks out (the tenth), along with any bits of extra paper.

You can fold and stick the extra bits of paper past the first and last triangles onto the first and last triangles, or just cut them off. Then stick the first and last triangles together.

Now you have your trihexaflexagon. Fold both ways across all three corner-to-corner lines. Now fold from the centre into valley/mountain/valley/mountain/valley/mountain.

There are two ways to do this. One way is dull. The other way: as you push in the valleys to make to mountain folds as sharp as possible, the centre opens up, and you get back to your hexagon. And you can keep doing this. fold open, open from centre, fold up, open from centre.

And where do the three sides come in. Well, if we colour the two sides of the hexagon of paper, say red and blue, and then do the folding/opening from the centre, we find another side that we haven't coloured yet. It will go red/white/blue/red/white/blue!

But you really need a video to see it working. Or make one yourself!

Here's a video (not me!):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	strip.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	93970   Click image for larger version

Name:	folded.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	93971   Click image for larger version

Name:	hexagon 1.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	93972   Click image for larger version

Name:	complete.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	93973   Click image for larger version

Name:	valleymountain.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	93974   Click image for larger version

Name:	opening.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	93975  

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-12-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:18 AM   #9597
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

As I said (I'm repeating in case it got lost in my previous post) I'm declaring Dathi the winner. It hadn't occurred to me that we could get two 'sides' by rolling up the paper tightly.

Over to you, Dathi!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:53 AM   #9598
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I only got the 3 sided concept by watching the video. A bit of a 'cheat' (), but a clever and interesting question all the same.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #9599
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

I have to get a project done at work today, so if anyone else would like to go then have at it.

P.S. those trihexaflexagon things are pretty cool. It reminds me of when I was a kid the girls used to make similar things out of paper that they could open different ways displaying different interiors. They would write stuff on the various panels and figure out who their next boyfriend was or something.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #9600
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Like the intro to Community.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote