Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Wheel of Time - interview with Brandon Sanderson

Interview with Brandon Sanderson about the Wheel of Time series:

http://www.goodreads.com/interviews/...aign=sanderson
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Thanks! This didn't show up in my updates, even though I'm following Sanderson...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
Thanks! This didn't show up in my updates, even though I'm following Sanderson...
I think it's because of the way GR does the interviews. If *he* posts it as a blog post or GR post, it shows up. But since GR is the interviewer...it shows up in their feed for author interviews or some such. GR likes to be complicated.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Kind of stinks the eBook won't be available till April
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:58 AM   #5
Valhalla
Zealot
Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Kind of stinks the eBook won't be available till April
Interesting things happening at Amazon. Over half the reviewers have given it 1 star in anger at not getting the ebook. Will be interesting to see if this 'campaign' will have any affect on Tor. Although as far as I can see it's not really the publisher but Jordan's widow who is causing the delay.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I'm not sure how I feel about people rating a book that they haven't read just because it's not available as an ebook. While I plan to wait for the ebook, I don't really consider it fair to the author or to readers who use the rating system. I can understand being upset that it's going to be 4 months, on the other hand, it's not like the books have been coming out in a timely manner anyway.

Most of the Tor titles that I'm interested in, come out as an ebook as the same time as a hardback book, so I'm sure that it's Jordan's widow. No reason she couldn't release it as an ebook at the same price as the hardback though.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You'd think they'd know by now that windowing titles does not work.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about people rating a book that they haven't read just because it's not available as an ebook. While I plan to wait for the ebook, I don't really consider it fair to the author or to readers who use the rating system. I can understand being upset that it's going to be 4 months, on the other hand, it's not like the books have been coming out in a timely manner anyway.

Most of the Tor titles that I'm interested in, come out as an ebook as the same time as a hardback book, so I'm sure that it's Jordan's widow. No reason she couldn't release it as an ebook at the same price as the hardback though.
It's not fair--but the reader has zero other recourse. A lot of them have tried writing the publisher and so on--they get no answer or a form letter. Has zero effect. I'm not sure this will work either, but it has to be more annoying for the publisher (and possibly the widow) than quieter means.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
When something similar was done with a Stephen King novel (Under the Dome?) I think all the publisher did was succeed in bringing a new batch of people into learning how to find pirated content.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I thought the ebook wasn't be released because Jordan's wife did not want it released at the same time.

ETA: Others said the same thing and I missed it in my very quick skim

Last edited by ProfCrash; 01-09-2013 at 02:19 PM. Reason: cuz
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #11
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I thought the ebook wasn't be released because Jordan's wife did not want it released at the same time.
Could be, but the people leaving one stars RARELY care about the reason. They just want what they want! In this day and age, it is hard to understand when something like that is delayed (or priced ridiculously high or even higher than the hardback.)
Old 01-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have no problem with the one star reviews. They are reviewing the product that was available to them, which was nothing. If TOR is unhappy with the reviews then release the ebook. As it is, I am borrowing the hardback from a friend as soon as she is done with it. I probably won't buy the Kindle version any time soon because I have yet to re-read any of the books.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
From Brandon Sanderson's website:

Question: Why a delayed ebook release for A Memory of Light?

Answer: This is not my decision or Tor's decision, but Harriet's. She is uncomfortable with ebooks. Specifically, she worries about ebooks cutting into the hardcover sales. It isn't about money for her, as the monetary difference between the two is negligible here. It is about a worry that her husband's legacy will be undermined if sales are split between ebooks and hardcovers, preventing the last book of the Wheel of Time from hitting number one on either list. (Many of the bestseller lists are still handling ebooks in somewhat awkward ways.)

As the last books have all hit number one, she doesn't want to risk one of these not hitting number one, and therefore ending the series on a down note. (Even though each Wheel of Time book has sold more than its predecessor, including the ones I have worked on.) I personally feel her worries are unfounded, and have explained that to her, but it is not my choice and I respect her reasoning for the decision. She is just trying to safeguard Robert Jordan's legacy, and feels this is a very important way she needs to do so. After talking about the issue, we were able to move the ebook up from the originally planned one-year delay to instead come out this spring.
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

What a shame she feels that way. Any time you restrict access to a product, you tend to lose sales--not gain them.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #15
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I didn't know it was out until my sister's rant on facebook "What ! 4 month delay for kindle edition !!!"

Whatever, they'll wait to get my money. My TBR list is long enough to keep me busy in the meantime.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote