Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
ronaldl
Enthusiast
ronaldl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Enter text in Book View or Code View

I am nowing using Sigil instead of going thru Word to generate my text because I do like to bit fiddle.

This is a general "entering data" question.

At first, I started using the Book View but noticed that instead of <p></p> enclosing my paragraphs, Sigil would delineate the raw text by using <div></div> along with other tags just as <bk/>.

I now enter "raw text" by hand in the code view.

When entering raw text in the book view, how can I tag my paragraphs with the paragraph tags. CR/LF doesn't do it. In fact, should raw text be entered in book view?

Thanks
Ronald
ronaldl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldl View Post
I am nowing using Sigil instead of going thru Word to generate my text because I do like to bit fiddle.

This is a general "entering data" question.

At first, I started using the Book View but noticed that instead of <p></p> enclosing my paragraphs, Sigil would delineate the raw text by using <div></div> along with other tags just as <bk/>.
I don't see that behavior at all. Entering raw text in Book view results in the normal expected <p></p> when typing normally and using the return key.

Quote:
I now enter "raw text" by hand in the code view.
Code view is for code.

Quote:
When entering raw text in the book view, how can I tag my paragraphs with the paragraph tags. CR/LF doesn't do it. In fact, should raw text be entered in book view?
It's not something I do very often, but there's no reason text shouldn't be entered in Book View, but I'm beginning to think your definition of "entering raw text in Book View" is different than mine. I'm talking about typing the text directly into Sigil's Book View and you may be talking about "pasting" text from another app into Sigil's Book View. We should probably straighten that out first.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Raw text might be another name for Pre-formatted Text

<pre>My P re-formated Text</pre>

There should NEVER be naked text (non-enclosed),<br /> in a EPUB
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Book View when you hit Enter will repeat whatever tags exist on hte block you edited.

So if you start off with text in <div> tags, and then hit enter to type more text, it too will end up in div tags with the same class applied if any.

If you want text in <p> tags in Book View, just make sure you start you editing within <p> tags (which is what Sigil does by default). That it "went wrong" for you simply means that your text you hit enter within originally was a <div> rather than a <p> tag.

Note that in Book View you can also ensure the current text block is within <p> tags by using the Headings toolbar/Format menu option, to choose the "Normal" option. That will switch any block tag (headings, blockquotes, or divs etc) into a <p>.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
ronaldl
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't see that behavior at all. Entering raw text in Book view results in the normal expected <p></p> when typing normally and using the return key.

Code view is for code.

It's not something I do very often, but there's no reason text shouldn't be entered in Book View, but I'm beginning to think your definition of "entering raw text in Book View" is different than mine. I'm talking about typing the text directly into Sigil's Book View and you may be talking about "pasting" text from another app into Sigil's Book View. We should probably straighten that out first.
I do both.
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
ronaldl
Enthusiast

I do both. i enter by typing and I enter by doing cut and paste from notepad.