Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
RJ_Cruze_Jr
RJ_Cruze_Jr is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Which to Get...

I've been trying to decide which BeBook would be the best to get: the BeBook One for $249, or the BeBook Neo for $299. Both look like good, solid reading platforms.

Which one would you folks recommend and why?

Thanks in advance!
RJ_Cruze_Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Two totally different machines. What do you really want to do with it? If it is just reading then the BeBook One (or better still the Mini) is probably the best bet. The Neo is fantastic but more because of all the extras that it has and will have. We need more info from you to be able to recommend one.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Agreed. For me, for example, some form of annotation or text highlighting is an essential feature of a reader, so the One wouldn't work for me, but the Neo is perfect.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
RJ_Cruze_Jr
RJ_Cruze_Jr is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Two totally different machines. What do you really want to do with it? If it is just reading then the BeBook One (or better still the Mini) is probably the best bet. The Neo is fantastic but more because of all the extras that it has and will have. We need more info from you to be able to recommend one.
Okay -- I've got a Sony PRS-505, so that's the baseline I'm used to. While the Sony Library does have its shortcomings, I really like the ability to create collections (favorite books, series, must-reads, etc.).

One thing that's important to me is speed -- which one has the faster load times and page turns would be a sell-point for me.

I also like the ability to customize: I re-flashed and changed the default fonts in my Reader.

Finally, another factor for me is: how does the text look? Which displays text better?

So, yeah, I'm looking for something to read on -- but anything that improves the reading experience is definitely a plus.
RJ_Cruze_Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_Cruze_Jr View Post
I've been trying to decide which BeBook would be the best to get: the BeBook One for $249, or the BeBook Neo for $299. Both look like good, solid reading platforms.

Which one would you folks recommend and why?

Thanks in advance!
BeBook One is in the market for more than 18 months.
Advantages:
- There have been tons of firmware updates, all known flaws have been eliminated.
- There are various 3rd party firmwares. Very evolved, for example offering DRMed ePUB AND DRMed Mobipocket - at the very same time.
Disadvantages:
- Don't expect much evolvement anymore. What you'll get now won't change much anymore.
- There are some nice features, for example Microsoft lit support. But over all, one can't help but recognise the age of 18 months.

In general, I'd say BeBook One already is too expensive, considering the age and somewhat limited/dated capabilities.
I'd always go for the newer unit (= BeBook Neo) as the first reader. It may be different for the 2nd or 3rd reader. A friend of mine just bought another Sony 505 -for "nostalgic" reasons- to replace his defective unit.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_Cruze_Jr View Post
The BeBook One is a Hanlin V3. There is now (or will soon be) a Hanlin V3+, with 16 grey scales and USB 2.0 (vs 4 grey scales and USB 1.1 for the V3). I don't know if BeBook will be offering this, but in the US (as an EZ Reader) the V3+ will sell for the same price as the old V3. Going with the V3 has the advantages of longevity that mgmueller mentioned. The V3+ is essentially the same internal hardware as the V5 (BeBook Mini) but with a 6" screen and double the grey scales (16 vs 8).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The BeBook One is a Hanlin V3. There is now (or will soon be) a Hanlin V3+, with 16 grey scales and USB 2.0 (vs 4 grey scales and USB 1.1 for the V3). I don't know if BeBook will be offering this, but in the US (as an EZ Reader) the V3+ will sell for the same price as the old V3. Going with the V3 has the advantages of longevity that mgmueller mentioned. The V3+ is essentially the same internal hardware as the V5 (BeBook Mini) but with a 6" screen and double the grey scales (16 vs 8).
. Also double the RAM size to 64 Meg which may improve it performance a bit.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:24 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
. Also double the RAM size to 64 Meg which may improve it performance a bit.

Dale
It's worth noting that the Neo has 128MB RAM.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's worth noting that the Neo has 128MB RAM.
It is not clear that more is always better but perhaps. The RAM is only used for temporary storage and is generally dynamic meaning some battery power is need to keep it alive even in sleep mode. Certainly larger images might need more RAM for example but pages are only buffered in RAM for display. If there is web access it might make more difference.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:02 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It is not clear that more is always better but perhaps. The RAM is only used for temporary storage and is generally dynamic meaning some battery power is need to keep it alive even in sleep mode. Certainly larger images might need more RAM for example but pages are only buffered in RAM for display. If there is web access it might make more difference.

Dale
Yes, I'd guess that the things which benefit from it are the web browser, and also rendering complex PDF pages, too.